kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Colin Kaepernick

Post by kalm »

Gil Dobie wrote:Heading to Green Bay?
No way. There has to be someone else available. He's not even one of the top 100 QB's in football.

(after leading a team to the Superbowl).
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
No way. There has to be someone else available. He's not even one of the top 100 QB's in football.

I don’t even know why this is even a debate

It’s obvious that teams are steering away from him and it has little to do with his ability

Pro football is a business, and anything that drops ratings or ticket sales is bad for business. If I was an owner I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole either... he’s too much of a lightning rod

It has little to do with “racism” either - but that’s all that’s left to Kapernick’s supporters at this point. He created this problem for himself and now wants to whine about racism being why he’s watching football on TV on Sunday
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

It’s obvious that teams are steering away from him and it has little to do with his ability

Pro football is a business, and anything that drops ratings or ticket sales is bad for business. If I was an owner I wouldn’t touch him with a ten foot pole either... he’s too much of a lightning rod

It has little to do with “racism” either - but that’s all that’s left to Kapernick’s supporters at this point. He created this problem for himself and now wants to whine about racism being why he’s watching football on TV on Sunday
He's no more than a back-up QB in the NFL - he didn't "lead" his team to the Super Bowl anymore than Trent Dilfer "led" the 2000 Ravens not only to the Super Bowl but winning it. In the years after San Fran's D fell apart Kaepernick was terrible. Now, is he better than most of the back-ups on NFL rosters today? Of course he is. But back-ups are not afforded the star treatment that starting QB's are. If you're a top level, starting QB in the NFL, you can be a rapist (re: Roethlisberger) or a former animal killer (re: Vick) or anything similar and they'll find a spot for you because quality starting NFL QB's are a rare breed. If all you're going to do is stand on the sideline with a baseball cap on and maybe help with the signals, well, anybody can do that and therefore they can afford to be picky and drop guys, like Kaepernick, who cause public relations issues or whose girlfriend tweets that the GM of a team about to sign him (the Ravens last year) is an Uncle Tom (in reference to Ozzie Newsome). He won't win any games for you and he'll piss off your fanbase - why is that a recipe for someone you need to hire?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

It's tough to own something for the long haul
Keapernick rolled the dice and now he has to own it forever

NFL ownership is smart for avoiding the three ring circus side show
however Trump has reignited the flame with his nonsense and ramblings
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

He's no more than a back-up QB in the NFL - he didn't "lead" his team to the Super Bowl anymore than Trent Dilfer "led" the 2000 Ravens not only to the Super Bowl but winning it. In the years after San Fran's D fell apart Kaepernick was terrible. Now, is he better than most of the back-ups on NFL rosters today? Of course he is. But back-ups are not afforded the star treatment that starting QB's are. If you're a top level, starting QB in the NFL, you can be a rapist (re: Roethlisberger) or a former animal killer (re: Vick) or anything similar and they'll find a spot for you because quality starting NFL QB's are a rare breed. If all you're going to do is stand on the sideline with a baseball cap on and maybe help with the signals, well, anybody can do that and therefore they can afford to be picky and drop guys, like Kaepernick, who cause public relations issues or whose girlfriend tweets that the GM of a team about to sign him (the Ravens last year) is an Uncle Tom (in reference to Ozzie Newsome). He won't win any games for you and he'll piss off your fanbase - why is that a recipe for someone you need to hire?
She must be really good in the sack because she's cost him a lot.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

HI54UNI wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
She must be really good in the sack because she's cost him a lot.
Assuming he wants to be a football player. There's plenty of speculation about whether he's really interested in playing again (although he certainly wants to be paid again).
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

The guy who mentioned this as a possibility during the SNF game mentioned Romo coming out of retirement as a much more likely possibility. There are also some possible trades to make, but as of now it looks like if any of THOSE happen, they will be to upgrade the backup behind the guy who replaced Rodgers.

And they ESPECIALLY squashed any potential fan clamor to go after Favre. He's 48, and about the only guy I know of who played at 48 was George Blanda, who played CONTINUOUSLY until 48, AND he had the added excuse of mostly kicking his last several years; he didn't have to come on at 48 after several years of retirement IN THE MIDDLE OF THE SEASON.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

My point is that he's a capable QB. Whether he's good enough for a starting position is debatable (and I would tend to agree with you that's he's backup material and not much else). Plenty of teams are in a position where they could make use of him - the Packers are in that position right now

I'm not even sure he *wants* to play at this point - I'm almost certain he doesn't want to be a second or third fiddle - but my ultimate point is that if Colin Kapernick had better control over Colin Kapernick's sideline shenanigans- he would be on SOMEBODY's roster right now. But it is a business decision and nothing more - and the fact that people who should know better are making it about race are being willfully ignorant (and they aren't scrutinizing the typical NFL roster all that well, either)
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Congressman Roy Moore of Alabama claims kneeling during Anthem is "Illegal" a federal crime..

:rofl: And the hilarity continues

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/roy-moore- ... al-anthem/
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Chizzang wrote:Congressman Roy Moore of Alabama claims kneeling during Anthem is "Illegal" a federal crime..

Soccer teams in Germany are talking up the cause too. CK gone worldwide... :lol:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:Congressman Roy Moore of Alabama claims kneeling during Anthem is "Illegal" a federal crime..

I don't know why this surprises anyone anymore

it should be crystal clear to everyone by now that the only things you need to be an elected official of the world's shining city on the hill are marginal intelligence, a little charisma (in the way Ricki Lake had a little charisma) and a general lack of scruples

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
SuperHornet
I am a fan of: Sac State

Post by SuperHornet »

Not technically illegal, but it IS something done on company time that may be contrary to company values (and therefore punishable by the team) AND fails to address the issue they want to address. Therefore, it may not be "illegal," but it's definitely stupid.

SuperHornet's Athletics Hall of Fame includes Jacksonville State kicker Ashley Martin, the first girl to score in a Division I football game. She kicked 3 PATs in a 2001 game for J-State.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

SuperHornet wrote:

Not technically illegal, but it IS something done on company time that may be contrary to company values (and therefore punishable by the team) AND fails to address the issue they want to address. Therefore, it may not be "illegal," but it's definitely stupid.
As usual you never miss an opportunity to miss the point...
This is America, not standing for an anthem will never be a crime
No matter how stupid and vengeful our presidents might be or become

And the players are itching for the owners to not play them for kneeling
It plays right into the hands of the peaceful protesters tactics

:nod:
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

Minor point...Roy Moore is not a Congressman...he is a candidate for Senate...

Carry on...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

I love this quote from Michael Bennett:
In regards to the NFL considering ruling that players must stand

"If teams don't want guys to play, even if you think about what Jerry Jones said, it's crazy,"
Bennett said. "It's inconsistent with the notion of a person being a human being. To me, I just thought it reminded me of the Dred Scott case. You're property, so you don't have the ability to be a person first. And I think in this generation that sends the wrong message to young kids and young people across the world: that your employer doesn't see you as a human being; they see you as a piece of property."
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

I think some white players (if there haven't been any yet), should start kneeling, to support the message Kaepernick is trying to get across.

Never mind, Seth DeValve.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Chizzang wrote:I love this quote from Michael Bennett:

"If teams don't want guys to play, even if you think about what Jerry Jones said, it's crazy,"
Bennett said. "It's inconsistent with the notion of a person being a human being. To me, I just thought it reminded me of the Dred Scott case. You're property, so you don't have the ability to be a person first. And I think in this generation that sends the wrong message to young kids and young people across the world: that your employer doesn't see you as a human being; they see you as a piece of property."
This Michael Bennett guy (whoever that is) doesn't get it. I assume he's a black NFL player? An employee at work in uniform doesn't have freedom of speech or freedom of actions. They have to do what their employer tells them to. If he doesn't like it he can take his uppity ass (that I assume is being paid a 7-8 figure multi year contract) somewhere else and find another job. To say that an employer saying that while at work in uniform has to stand for the anthem = "inconsistent with the notion of a person being a human being" just shows you how :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: some of these players are..
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

BDKJMU wrote:

This Michael Bennett guy (whoever that is) doesn't get it. I assume he's a black NFL player? An employee at work in uniform doesn't have freedom of speech or freedom of actions. They have to do what their employee tells them to. If he doesn't like it he can take his uppity ass (that I assume is being paid a 7-8 figure multi year contract) somewhere else and find another job. To say that an employer saying that while at work in uniform has to stand for the anthem = "inconsistent with the notion of a person being a human being" just shows you how :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: some of these players are..
Just who exactly it is that "Isn't getting it" is debatable...

If the Owners are willing to put their money where there mouth is and actually sit players
or terminate contracts then so be it...
Micheal Bennett agrees that actions have consequences
for both sides

If the owners sit all the kneeling players I'd love to see that
The outcome would be extremely entertaining

:nod:

The players aren't as confused as you are - that much is obvious - they know the potential outcomes
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

I’m enjoying the fact that this reality is only a big deal when it affects a bunch of wealthy, preening contractors
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Post by grizzaholic »

CK can suck a sewer pipe.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:

This Michael Bennett guy (whoever that is) doesn't get it. I assume he's a black NFL player? An employee at work in uniform doesn't have freedom of speech or freedom of actions. They have to do what their employee tells them to. If he doesn't like it he can take his uppity ass (that I assume is being paid a 7-8 figure multi year contract) somewhere else and find another job. To say that an employer saying that while at work in uniform has to stand for the anthem = "inconsistent with the notion of a person being a human being" just shows you how :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: some of these players are..
I'm sorry you are so confused. :lol:

An employee never "has to" do what their employer tells them to do. And an employer owes them nothing other than their last paycheck (and/or other agreed upon contractual obligations but you get the point).
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: This Michael Bennett guy (whoever that is) doesn't get it. I assume he's a black NFL player? An employee at work in uniform doesn't have freedom of speech or freedom of actions. They have to do what their employee tells them to. If he doesn't like it he can take his uppity ass (that I assume is being paid a 7-8 figure multi year contract) somewhere else and find another job. To say that an employer saying that while at work in uniform has to stand for the anthem = "inconsistent with the notion of a person being a human being" just shows you how :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: some of these players are..

An employee never "has to" do what their employer tells them to do. And an employer owes them nothing other than their last paycheck (and/or other agreed upon contractual obligations but you get the point).
So you're saying he's the property of his employer and will do what he's told or he can go elsewhere. Kind of like every employer/employee relationship everywhere. Got it. :thumb:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: This Michael Bennett guy (whoever that is) doesn't get it. I assume he's a black NFL player? An employee at work in uniform doesn't have freedom of speech or freedom of actions. They have to do what their employee tells them to. If he doesn't like it he can take his uppity ass (that I assume is being paid a 7-8 figure multi year contract) somewhere else and find another job. To say that an employer saying that while at work in uniform has to stand for the anthem = "inconsistent with the notion of a person being a human being" just shows you how :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: some of these players are..

Glad to see you agree with the "right to work" concept.

Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
kalm wrote:

Glad to see you agree with the "right to work" concept.

Nobody who is for the players right to kneel is saying the player can't be fired
The players have rights and the employers have rights

What we're mostly saying is
Lets see an owner fire a star player right there on the spot for taking a knee
put their money where Jerry Jones mouth is

And watch the other owners Robert Kraft
Immediately hire the fired player and honor their right to kneel

Lets watch that happen please (if there is a god)
Lets stop talking and set this thing in motion people