Brexit Thread

Political discussions
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Brexit Thread

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:hopefully the UK ends up staying in the EU.
You you're not a proponent of the popular vote? :D
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

GannonFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
Sounds familiar.
I agree, and I like I said before, it's the problem we face when status quo globalism fails to solve the repercussions of status quo globalism. People will look for answers elsewhere, no matter how detestable that elsewhere is.

It's also > 2 years after the vote(s).

It's harder for politicians to agree on Brexit terms... because none of the options are popular or good for the UK... despite the people voting for it.

And, since I didn't get a Prof. Ganny lecture I'll elaborate on the Wall / Shutdown comparison. The Wall isn't popular. Despite the people voting for the candidate who made it central to his campaign.

I think in both cases the political paralysis is because of the public's buyer's remorse. It's made worse in the UK because of their March deadline. We missed our funding deadline... but, I don't think the repercussions will be as long lasting. Assuming the federal government opens back up someday. :lol:
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:hopefully the UK ends up staying in the EU.
It would have made sense from a democratic point-of-view if implemented immediately. It doesn't make sense three years later when polling shows double-digit support for staying in the EU.

Even if the UK did leave in 2016 or 2017, I think they would have eventually rejoined as new generations took over in leadership positions. Young people have particularly benefited from EU.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I agree, and I like I said before, it's the problem we face when status quo globalism fails to solve the repercussions of status quo globalism. People will look for answers elsewhere, no matter how detestable that elsewhere is.
Nationalists are doing a particularly bad job selling the concept to people like me who are experiencing nationalist agendas for the first time ever. Seems like a bunch of assholery and chaos.

Glad May's Brexit deal was defeated; hopefully the UK ends up staying in the EU.
Of course, you're also of the mindset that your generation has been screwed by the globalism agenda that has played a part in making jobs for your generation, especially jobs to pay the large college loans you took out, hard to come by. The conflict in your head must be significant. Ferris Bueller was way ahead of his time with his idea that people shouldn't believe in an -ism. :lol:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Nationalists are doing a particularly bad job selling the concept to people like me who are experiencing nationalist agendas for the first time ever. Seems like a bunch of assholery and chaos.

Glad May's Brexit deal was defeated; hopefully the UK ends up staying in the EU.
Of course, you're also of the mindset that your generation has been screwed by the globalism agenda that has played a part in making jobs for your generation, especially jobs to pay the large college loans you took out, hard to come by. The conflict in your head must be significant. Ferris Bueller was way ahead of his time with his idea that people shouldn't believe in an -ism. :lol:
Not globalization, just the policies which have misused its benefits.

Try again...
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Try again...
Here you go Ganny -

It’s that “they just didn’t do it correctly” trope

It’s going to be the mantra of the 21st century
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Nationalists are doing a particularly bad job selling the concept to people like me who are experiencing nationalist agendas for the first time ever. Seems like a bunch of assholery and chaos.

Lots of Nationalism going on in Eastern Europe (thanks to the migration from the ME for that). Also Brazil seems to be getting a taste too...they probably want to ensure that don't end up like their failed state brethren to the north.

Interesting times indeed.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

SDHornet wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: Nationalists are doing a particularly bad job selling the concept to people like me who are experiencing nationalist agendas for the first time ever. Seems like a bunch of assholery and chaos.

Lots of Nationalism going on in Eastern Europe (thanks to the migration from the ME for that). Also Brazil seems to be getting a taste too...they probably want to ensure that don't end up like their failed state brethren to the north.

We can't get along except at the point of a gun

We're the worst apes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:
It would have made sense from a democratic point-of-view if implemented immediately. It doesn't make sense three years later when polling shows double-digit support for staying in the EU.

Even if the UK did leave in 2016 or 2017, I think they would have eventually rejoined as new generations took over in leadership positions. Young people have particularly benefited from EU.
The irony of the Brexit issue is that the EU needs England more than England needs the EU. Most of the EU countries are "takers", while England and a couple others (Germany, France, and maybe someone else) carries most of the weight financially.

The last Theresa May deal failed because it essentially kept England in the EU without a seat at the table. It would have been disastrous for them if approved. No idea where it goes from here but it should be fun to watch.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SDHornet wrote:

Yeah, another military dictatorship is just what Brazil needs. :lol:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

SDHornet wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: It would have made sense from a democratic point-of-view if implemented immediately. It doesn't make sense three years later when polling shows double-digit support for staying in the EU.

The irony of the Brexit issue is that the EU needs England more than England needs the EU. Most of the EU countries are "takers", while England and a couple others (Germany, France, and maybe someone else) carries most of the weight financially.

The last Theresa May deal failed because it essentially kept England in the EU without a seat at the table. It would have been disastrous for them if approved. No idea where it goes from here but it should be fun to watch.
You've got it backasswards. Britain's economy is going to take a MASSIVE hit if they actually go through with it.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Grizalltheway wrote:
SDHornet wrote: Lots of Nationalism going on in Eastern Europe (thanks to the migration from the ME for that). Also Brazil seems to be getting a taste too...they probably want to ensure that don't end up like their failed state brethren to the north.

Yeah, another military dictatorship is just what Brazil needs. :lol:
Sometimes shit works, take Egypt for example.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:

Try again...
Hey, you're barking up the wrong tree here. I'm a free-trader and a big proponent of globalism in almost all of its forms. But you have to have your head in the sand (or in your parent's basement) if you don't appreciate the unanswered questions of what to do with the wide swaths of people that could be economic casualties of globalization. Politicians like to talk about retraining programs and the such to help workers who are suddenly no longer necessary at what they do once jobs are relocated to a lower cost region (and typically out of country) but that's just politician-speak to gloss over a problem that doesn't have a very good answer right now. What do you do with people who don't have the skills or the means to be successful in the new globalized world and how do governments deal with that in the long term. And before you snidely throw out one of your typical "old people should just die off" tropes, remember, it's your generation that is not even getting started because they too are too many for the jobs that are out there.

Like I said, there's no doubt that free trade and globalization are the ways to go and there's no real turning back on that (despite what kalmie would like to think with his Trumpian economic views), but there's also no doubt that we don't have all the answers of how to work out the problems that are and will arise in that reality.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Universal Basic Income.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Universal Basic Income.
We already have that its called a fucking job!

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Universal Basic Income.
Awesome. Explain.

How much does everyone get? How does it tie into inflation? Do rich people get a UBI too? What if someone spends their UBI before they get their next UBI payment and needs money? What if on the UBI a person can't afford a cell phone, cable (or the cost of cord cutting), a car, gas for the car, etc? How do we factor children into this? Will people on UBI be allowed to have children? Will housing prices be restricted so as not to greatly exceed the reach of people who just receive the UBI and nothing more? Where will that housing be? Estimates are that a basic UBI would be at least a 50% increase in annual government expenditures, at least at the beginning. Do we cut anything or just print the money? If certain job sectors begin to go understaffed how do we compensate?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Great. Did you read your link? It's summed up by this quote:
The appeal of a negative income tax lives on. And so do its many problems.
Care to wade into the messy problems and provide solutions? I know it's not nearly as fun as a pithy retort but it would be far more useful to the discussion. Imagine that.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Well, this certainly doesn't look like it's going to end well for Great Britain.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:Well, this certainly doesn't look like it's going to end well for Great Britain.
Find some way to blame Trump.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:
Great. Did you read your link? It's summed up by this quote:
The appeal of a negative income tax lives on. And so do its many problems.
Care to wade into the messy problems and provide solutions? I know it's not nearly as fun as a pithy retort but it would be far more useful to the discussion. Imagine that.
Ganny - good luck

the world is a simple thing to solve when you aren't the one tasked with solving it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Well, this certainly doesn't look like it's going to end well for Great Britain.
That one wasn't his fault. But I think the sociological phenomenon that led to it is similar in certain respects to the one that led to us ending up with Trump as President.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
That one wasn't his fault. But I think the sociological phenomenon that led to it is similar in certain respects to the one that led to us ending up with Trump as President.
You are correct on that one -

Brexit and Trump are symptoms of diseases many people do not want to confront

There's a lot of that right here in this here thread
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Brexit certainly doesn't look sexy right now, but what happens if we have another global financial crisis? Basically Germany and France will be more-or-less on their own to help prop up countries like Portugal, Spain, Greece, and maybe even Italy while the UK will just sit back and watch the whole spectacle.

Between that consideration and mass assimilation-less migration that has created political polarization, I think EU dissolution is inevitable. Could be 5 years or 20 years, but it'll happen. Heck Sweden seems to be quietly weighing their options for a "Swexit" now, and I'm sure they aren't the only ones.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.