Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Brexit Thread

Post by houndawg »

Brock Landers wrote:
POD Knows wrote:
Nah, you pretend to be smart but I am getting bored with this site so I think I will dedicate my time to trolling your posts, correcting your spelling errors, correcting your nonfactual posts even though you rarely cite facts. I will reply to each and every one of your posts with the same pithy, irrelevant, smart ass comments that you have mastered on this site and some others.

You will be my special project until I get bored.

BTW, I spelled douchebag wrong in my other post, why didn't you catch that one. I left it there for you, it was low hanging fruit.
:rofl:

This guy came here to make waves, but instead got himself all worked up. Job well done CS.
That boy was eat up with the dumbass. :ohno:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
POD has a boy crush. :lol: :lol:
...I've never seen him and JBB on here at the same time.... :suspicious:
I'm pretty sure JBB was strangled to death by D1B in a BDSM session that went overboard.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

houndawg wrote:
Brock Landers wrote: :rofl:

This guy came here to make waves, but instead got himself all worked up. Job well done CS.
Says the guy on the CS.com Mt. Rushmore of thread beatdowns. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

SDHornet wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Says the guy on the CS.com Mt. Rushmore of thread beatdowns. :coffee:
I own you bitches like Ali owned Liston. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Interesting theory...

If Boris Johnson looked downbeat yesterday, that is because he realises that he has lost.

Perhaps many Brexiters do not realise it yet, but they have actually lost, and it is all down to one man: David Cameron.

With one fell swoop yesterday at 9:15 am, Cameron effectively annulled the referendum result, and simultaneously destroyed the political careers of Boris Johnson, Michael Gove and leading Brexiters who cost him so much anguish, not to mention his premiership.

How?

Throughout the campaign, Cameron had repeatedly said that a vote for leave would lead to triggering Article 50 straight away. Whether implicitly or explicitly, the image was clear: he would be giving that notice under Article 50 the morning after a vote to leave. Whether that was scaremongering or not is a bit moot now but, in the midst of the sentimental nautical references of his speech yesterday, he quietly abandoned that position and handed the responsibility over to his successor.

And as the day wore on, the enormity of that step started to sink in: the markets, Sterling, Scotland, the Irish border, the Gibraltar border, the frontier at Calais, the need to continue compliance with all EU regulations for a free market, re-issuing passports, Brits abroad, EU citizens in Britain, the mountain of legistlation to be torn up and rewritten ... the list grew and grew.

The referendum result is not binding. It is advisory. Parliament is not bound to commit itself in that same direction.

The Conservative party election that Cameron triggered will now have one question looming over it: will you, if elected as party leader, trigger the notice under Article 50?

Who will want to have the responsibility of all those ramifications and consequences on his/her head and shoulders?

Boris Johnson knew this yesterday, when he emerged subdued from his home and was even more subdued at the press conference. He has been out-maneouvered and check-mated.

If he runs for leadership of the party, and then fails to follow through on triggering Article 50, then he is finished. If he does not run and effectively abandons the field, then he is finished. If he runs, wins and pulls the UK out of the EU, then it will all be over - Scotland will break away, there will be upheaval in Ireland, a recession ... broken trade agreements. Then he is also finished. Boris Johnson knows all of this. When he acts like the dumb blond it is just that: an act.

The Brexit leaders now have a result that they cannot use. For them, leadership of the Tory party has become a poison chalice.

When Boris Johnson said there was no need to trigger Article 50 straight away, what he really meant to say was "never". When Michael Gove went on and on about "informal negotiations" ... why? why not the formal ones straight away? ... he also meant not triggering the formal departure. They both know what a formal demarche would mean: an irreversible step that neither of them is prepared to take.

All that remains is for someone to have the guts to stand up and say that Brexit is unachievable in reality without an enormous amount of pain and destruction, that cannot be borne. And David Cameron has put the onus of making that statement on the heads of the people who led the Brexit campaign.

People say a second referendum is unlikely and political suicide. I don't think it is as unlikely as people think. So many who voted Leave now realize what the costs will be and how the Leave campaign has already broken major promises. It's finally sinking in that leaving the EU is going to mean the destruction of the United Kingdom. People now realize that once you leave the EU there is no coming back for decades.

The pressure for a second referendum will keep rising and how can a prime minister deny the will of the people who will want another democratic election. It is still democratic after all and if the people wish to leave the votes would reflect that. Of course the vote will likely heavily go towards Remain now the large chunk of undecided, soft Leave and people who didn't show up (screw them) actually go vote. The whole crisis will be averted and UKIP will have to make peace with that if it goes heavily towards Remain. Even Farrage wanted another referendum if it was 52/48 and that quote is going to haunt him for a long time.

Calling a second referendum might be political suicide for the next Tory prime minister but they are going to commit political suicide taking the position anyway and none of them really want that legacy.

Boris Johnson out.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... CMP=twt_gu

Who's going to step up, take over as Prime Minister, invoke Article 50, and guide the UK through this?

:?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
OL FU
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Furman

Post by OL FU »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:Interesting theory...

Boris Johnson out.
http://www.theguardian.com/politics/liv ... CMP=twt_gu

Who's going to step up, take over as Prime Minister, invoke Article 50, and guide the UK through this?

:?
Is a British accent required. Maybe we could send Donald over there ;)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

OL FU wrote:

Donald Trump with a British accent... is... Boris Johnson.

Maybe Owen Wilson should lead it?

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
OL FU wrote:

Donald Trump with a British accent... is... Boris Johnson.

Maybe Owen Wilson should lead it?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Shocking. International financiers who might be hurt by the Brexit who predicted Doom for the UK were wrong? :lol:

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07 ... ny-france/
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Re: RE: Re: Brexit Thread

Post by DSUrocks07 »

Pwns wrote:Shocking. International financiers who might be hurt by the Brexit who predicted Doom for the UK were wrong? Image

http://www.breitbart.com/london/2016/07 ... ny-france/
Now the excuse is, "well they havent left YET".

But I thought the narrative that the big banks needed to start immediately to get into the EU while Britain was still a member. :coffee:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Exit polls showing a hung parliament.

Doesn't look like May will get her mandate at the very least... but, we'll see.

Tories - 314 (-17)
Labour - 266 (+34)
SNP - 34 (-22)
Lib Dems 14 (+6)
Plaid - 3
Green - 1
UKIP - 0
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I think that slowly, people are begin to reject the nationalistic wave that hit Europe in the last few years. First the Netherlands, then France, now this. The German elections later this year will be an interesting case study as well.

We've also seen a huge wave of nationalism here, but we'll see if it continues in 2018. Millennials and Centennials grew up in a connected world and a global (and sharing) economy, so nationalism is fairly foreign to the largest potential voting block in future elections.

And let's be honest, Brexit, May, and Trump may have sold people with rhetoric, but they're both doing terrible jobs selling people (especially younger people) on the benefits of nationalism over globalism.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Brexit since the vote:

- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:I think that slowly, people are begin to reject the nationalistic wave that hit Europe in the last few years. First the Netherlands, then France, now this. The German elections later this year will be an interesting case study as well.

We've also seen a huge wave of nationalism here, but we'll see if it continues in 2018. Millennials and Centennials grew up in a connected world and a global (and sharing) economy, so nationalism is fairly foreign to the largest potential voting block in future elections.

And let's be honest, Brexit, May, and Trump may have sold people with rhetoric, but they're both doing terrible jobs selling people (especially younger people) on the benefits of nationalism over globalism.
Young people don't vote. See Sanders, Bernie. :coffee:

Also saw an article (NYT I think) that put a lot of Le Pens hopes of a victory on the turnout of young voters...where did you hear that before. :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Millennials and Centennials grew up in a connected world and a global (and sharing) economy, so nationalism is fairly foreign to the largest potential voting block in future elections.
Naivety smells funny.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

British politics is stranger than ours.

One of the candidates on stage with Teresa May is "Lord Buckethead" :rofl:

Ni!
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:I think that slowly, people are begin to reject the nationalistic wave that hit Europe in the last few years. First the Netherlands, then France, now this. The German elections later this year will be an interesting case study as well.

And let's also be honest, nationalism didn't just pop up as something to do for fun. It came into vogue because the status quo politicians who came before them had tried selling them just rhetoric, and they too did a terrible job of selling people on the benefits of globalism over nationalism. Those issues (income inequality, difficulty transitioning between jobs in the job market, difficulty moving up in the socio-economic ladder, increasing costs of the nation state and how to fund it, and then the European-specific issue of rampant immigration with significant assimilation impediments) haven't gone away and aren't going away. There are real problems in the world and championing one political viewpoint over another doesn't really get to the core of how to solve those issues. I don't think the answers are particularly obvious either.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Don't know how anyone could vote for a party headed by an assclown like Jeremy Corbyn. We'll see how the effervescent Theresa May cobbles together a coalition.

At least Scottish independence is off the books... for now.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Lol. :rofl:

What a shitshow.

Brexit Secretary resigns
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-44761056

Brexiteer Boris Johnson resigns as Foreign Secretary - saying Brexit will leave Great Britain with the "status of a colony."
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... -secretary
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Theresa May faces catastrophic defeat in major Brexit vote as allies warn: ‘Winter is Coming’
https://www.foxnews.com/world/theresa-m ... -is-coming
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Yeah, just ugly political times in the UK - voters say they want to leave the EU, the politicians, after fumbling for the better part of a year, say no the any plans to leave the EU, and now you have to wonder what the UK wants. Political paralysis for sure.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:Millennials and Centennials grew up in a connected world and a global (and sharing) economy, so nationalism is fairly foreign to the largest potential voting block in future elections.
Naivety smells funny.
He's right, though.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

GannonFan wrote:Yeah, just ugly political times in the UK - voters say they want to leave the EU, the politicians, after fumbling for the better part of a year, say no the any plans to leave the EU, and now you have to wonder what the UK wants. Political paralysis for sure.
Sounds familiar.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Yeah, just ugly political times in the UK - voters say they want to leave the EU, the politicians, after fumbling for the better part of a year, say no the any plans to leave the EU, and now you have to wonder what the UK wants. Political paralysis for sure.
Sounds familiar.
I agree, and I like I said before, it's the problem we face when status quo globalism fails to solve the repercussions of status quo globalism. People will look for answers elsewhere, no matter how detestable that elsewhere is.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote:
Skjellyfetti wrote:
Sounds familiar.
I agree, and I like I said before, it's the problem we face when status quo globalism fails to solve the repercussions of status quo globalism. People will look for answers elsewhere, no matter how detestable that elsewhere is.
Nationalists are doing a particularly bad job selling the concept to people like me who are experiencing nationalist agendas for the first time ever. Seems like a bunch of assholery and chaos.

Glad May's Brexit deal was defeated; hopefully the UK ends up staying in the EU.