CS History/Politics/Economics Book Club, 2015 Edition

Political discussions
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: CS History/Politics/Economics Book Club, 2015 Edition

Post by clenz »

Ivytalk wrote:
clenz wrote:i use the overdrive app. It connects to a bunch of libraries. I've knocked out 3 books since the start of Oct (25 min to and from work and the last hour and a half of work when I can throw headphones in, or any window time I get for work). My "goal" is to get through 2 or 3 more this year and then about 2 a month next year. With 6 driving trips to Ann Arbor and back that shouldn't be too hard

None of the books fall into this thread though.

The book I'm starting tomorrow is
Words of inspiration from Tim Russert? :shock:
It popped up on the app and the books I'm waiting on aren't returned back into the system yet...I figured I'd give it a shot.

It's also the only book I've listened too that "fits" this topic
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Just finished Al Roker's (yup, THAT Al Roker) entertaining new book, The Storm of the Century, about the great Galveston hurricane of 1900 that killed about 10,000 people. Some interesting stuff about early meteorological science. Martial law worked, by the way! :thumb:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ivytalk wrote:Just finished Al Roker's (yup, THAT Al Roker) entertaining new book, The Storm of the Century, about the great Galveston hurricane of 1900 that killed about 10,000 people. Some interesting stuff about early meteorological science. Martial law worked, by the way! :thumb:
Was global warming blamed for the storm?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Just finished Al Roker's (yup, THAT Al Roker) entertaining new book, The Storm of the Century, about the great Galveston hurricane of 1900 that killed about 10,000 people. Some interesting stuff about early meteorological science. Martial law worked, by the way! :thumb:
Was global warming blamed for the storm?
No, but political problems between the U.S. and Cuba resulted in Galveston getting virtually zero advance notice of the storm.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Just finished Adam Hochschild's King Leopold's Ghost, a compelling story of the Belgian king's personal exploitation of the Congo and its people for ivory and rubber in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Leopold had a lot of help from enablers like Sir Henry Stanley, the explorer, and an army of thug enforcers. Also noteworthy contemporary opposition from anti-colonial pioneers like Morel and Casement. The book first came out in 1998, so it's not hot off the presses, but IT gives it :thumb: :thumb: .
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

Ivytalk wrote:Just finished Adam Hochschild's King Leopold's Ghost, a compelling story of the Belgian king's personal exploitation of the Congo and its people for ivory and rubber in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Leopold had a lot of help from enablers like Sir Henry Stanley, the explorer, and an army of thug enforcers. Also noteworthy contemporary opposition from anti-colonial pioneers like Morel and Casement. The book first came out in 1998, so it's not hot off the presses, but IT gives it :thumb: :thumb: .
Fell asleep after the second sentence.

Get a life, Ivytaint.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

D1B wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:Just finished Adam Hochschild's King Leopold's Ghost, a compelling story of the Belgian king's personal exploitation of the Congo and its people for ivory and rubber in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. Leopold had a lot of help from enablers like Sir Henry Stanley, the explorer, and an army of thug enforcers. Also noteworthy contemporary opposition from anti-colonial pioneers like Morel and Casement. The book first came out in 1998, so it's not hot off the presses, but IT gives it :thumb: :thumb: .

Get a life, Ivytaint.
And you'd be a happier, more well-adjusted person if you read more than prescription labels and condom wrappers.
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

Ivytalk wrote:
D1B wrote:

Get a life, Ivytaint.
And you'd be a happier, more well-adjusted person if you read more than prescription labels and condom wrappers.
What's a condom?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

D1B wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:
What's a condom?
A small apartment that you buy instead of rent.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

After a LONG hiatus from reading books, I'm finally back in the saddle with this one:

It's a biography of David Thompson who you could argue is one of the greatest explorers of all time. He travelled some 56,000 miles mostly by foot and canoe from Hudson's Bay to the Pacific, back and forth to places in between several times, on a bad leg, surveying and mapping for the Hudson's Bay Company and Northwest Company. He located the source of the Columbia River in central BC and charted it all the way to the ocean (1200 miles) and this was only a few years after the Lewis and Clark expedition. Much of exploration in the West and Northwest was solo. :shock:

Nesbit is from Spokane and is a very talented writer and storyteller. I've been to one of his lectures and he frequently leads hikes to various points of historical interest in the Inland Empire.

Next up, at a friend's suggestion is Portuguese author Jose Saramago.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Ron Chernow's book on Grant was fantastic - highly recommend it.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

I’m reading Victor Davis Hanson’s The Second World Wars (plural intended). Interesting approach, dividing analysis into battle theaters and mode of combat (air, land, sea).
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

GannonFan wrote:Ron Chernow's book on Grant was fantastic - highly recommend it.
In laws gave me that one for Xmas and I agree it is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
GannonFan wrote:Ron Chernow's book on Grant was fantastic - highly recommend it.
In laws gave me that one for Xmas and I agree it is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same here. Although, I haven't begun it. I'm about 1 or 2 days away with completing The Steel Bonnets and about 100 pages from completing The Rise of Theodore Roosevelt. I recommend both, although the former is a tad laborious to read.

After these two are done, i'll start in on Grant.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17