VW Busted!

Political discussions
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Re: VW Busted!

Post by ∞∞∞ »

VW's stock is down 20% this morning. If I'm VW of America, I'd be fuming right now. I don't know if they can, but I imagine VWofA is looking into suing VW right now. This is a pretty serious cover-up; I can see this as a death knell for VW in the states.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Ivytalk wrote:
kalm wrote:
Also Ivy League grads and lawyers. :coffee:
So you're blaming Ivy Leaguers and lawyers for everything but menopause, now? Or are you blaming big banks for everything but menopause, Ivy Leaguers and lawyers? Be precise. :dunce:
I blame all three for your change.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

∞∞∞ wrote:VW's stock is down 20% this morning. If I'm VW of America, I'd be fuming right now. I don't know if they can, but I imagine VWofA is looking into suing VW right now. This is a pretty serious cover-up; I can see this as a death knell for VW in the states.
Well, Trips, you strike me as a savvy investor who doesn't have VW in his international stock portfolio. Amirite? :?

Let the Germans worry about the share price. I've always been pissed off at VW because of how much it costs to insure VW cars, relative to other foreign cars. Tells you something about their reliability right there.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ivytalk wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:VW's stock is down 20% this morning. If I'm VW of America, I'd be fuming right now. I don't know if they can, but I imagine VWofA is looking into suing VW right now. This is a pretty serious cover-up; I can see this as a death knell for VW in the states.
Well, Trips, you strike me as a savvy investor who doesn't have VW in his international stock portfolio. Amirite? :?

Let the Germans worry about the share price. I've always been pissed off at VW because of how much it costs to insure VW cars, relative to other foreign cars. Tells you something about their reliability right there.
I insured three VWs and they were no more than any other car. Perhaps you're speaking of rates during the Nixon years before I was born?
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Germans :lol:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

CAA Flagship wrote:Germans :lol:
Not the first time they've hidden secret emissions programs from the general public.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

I've got one about Joos and VWs but I'm sure everyone's heard it by now. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

93henfan wrote:
Ivytalk wrote:

I insured three VWs and they were no more than any other car. Perhaps you're speaking of rates during the Nixon years before I was born?
I had an '86 Jetta that cost more to insure at one point than our three other (newer) cars combined. And it didn't have any major problems. So there.
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Chizzang wrote:
The BIG THREE are NOT friends of the American working man or America in general
And our political system works hand-in-hand to protect them

Its insane :ohno:
A little off topic, but who is the true friend of the American working man...and what happens when the working man disappears?

The big question in our lifetime (at least I hope it will be in my lifetime) is what to do with work.

Machines can do more and more jobs...essentially replacing human labor. We can only outsource so much labor (oh, we'll do it for decades more, but that train will end) before there is not much work for people.

The term unemployment will mean very little...so many people will not work. So, how will society function with billions not working? The work will get done, but how will society be organized? How will we measure a person's value? What will become of money? Will most people get a stipend? What will separate the wealthy from the non-wealthy if one can't "work" their way into wealth? What will humans do with all of their leisure time (besides drink)?

Will everyone (more than today, and more obvious than today) just accept being put into a class category as long as their basic food and shelter are taken care of? :suspicious:

Interesting future.
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ivytalk »

Cluck U wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

A little off topic, but who is the true friend of the American working man...and what happens when the working man disappears?

The big question in our lifetime (at least I hope it will be in my lifetime) is what to do with work.

Machines can do more and more jobs...essentially replacing human labor. We can only outsource so much labor (oh, we'll do it for decades more, but that train will end) before there is not much work for people.

The term unemployment will mean very little...so many people will not work. So, how will society function with billions not working? The work will get done, but how will society be organized? How will we measure a person's value? What will become of money? Will most people get a stipend? What will separate the wealthy from the non-wealthy if one can't "work" their way into wealth? What will humans do with all of their leisure time (besides drink)?

Will everyone (more than today, and more obvious than today) just accept being put into a class category as long as their basic food and shelter are taken care of? :suspicious:

Interesting future.
Brave New World, indeed, Cluck. Pardon me while I channel my inner Malthus and try to figure this one out.
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by GrizFanStuckInUtah »

If I owned a 2009 or newer Diesel I would not take it in for a recall now. The 2 I own are not this new so I don't have to worry about this recall. Ain't Cheatin', Aint Tryin! :lol:
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
-Thank you to all our Veterans. :bow:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Cluck U wrote:What will humans do with all of their leisure time
The ones not living deliberately on CID1990s super defensible farm will be busy killing each other or starving
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Apparently the defeat device/programming was likely being used in European tests too. :?
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:Apparently the defeat device/programming was likely being used in European tests too. :?
Asia too. Guess where the Passat TDIs made in Chattanooga are exported to in droves? South Korea. They also build the same model for China at their Shanghai plant.

http://www.knoxnews.com/business/tennes ... g_27922944

This whole thing is really bad news for the new (built in 2011) VW Chattanooga plant. The current "NMS" Passat is already sagging in sales since being introduced in 2011 and TDI was the most intriguing trimline.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Cluck U wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

Interesting future.
Very interesting. People aren't meant to be drones in an office or factory. Careers are self-serving activities we've given ourselves. Sure, much of what we do is in response to our advances in technology, population growth, etc... I'm not saying all jobs are bad, but we seriously are wasting our lives worrying about insurance rates, the 9:30 meeting across town or if we should use buy this condo or that condo. Just my :twocents:

But in the end, none of it matters. So what's the point. I've never thought that a person's occupation was a measure a person's value.

But you raise some good points. What would you do if you didn't have to fill your day with office work (or whatever it is you do)?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ibanez wrote:
Cluck U wrote:

Interesting future.
Very interesting. People aren't meant to be drones in an office or factory. Careers are self-serving activities we've given ourselves. Sure, much of what we do is in response to our advances in technology, population growth, etc... I'm not saying all jobs are bad, but we seriously are wasting our lives worrying about insurance rates, the 9:30 meeting across town or if we should use buy this condo or that condo. Just my :twocents:

But in the end, none of it matters. So what's the point. I've never thought that a person's occupation was a measure a person's value.

But you raise some good points. What would you do if you didn't have to fill your day with office work (or whatever it is you do)?
Grow a killer garden, fly fish 200+ days a year, hike, kayak, cook for friends, catch up on 15 years of neglect around the house/yard.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Combat, famine, disease, and climate change (among others) are mother nature's way of policing species. We will be policed. We just don't know how yet.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Ibanez wrote:
Cluck U wrote:

Interesting future.

Ask Flaggy. Or Travis.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Ask Flaggy. Or Travis.
Watch Homo Japanimation all day?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

bandl wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
Ask Flaggy. Or Travis.
Watch Homo Japanimation all day?
SHAZAAAM!
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

kalm wrote:
bandl wrote: Watch Homo Japanimation all day?
SHAZAAAM!
I don't think Shaq is Japanese.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:Combat, famine, disease, and climate change (among others) are mother nature's way of policing species. We will be policed. We just don't know how yet.

:nod:

I'll take "E" for all of the above Bob
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5

Post by YoUDeeMan »

Ibanez wrote:
Cluck U wrote:

Interesting future.

A person's occupation is directly linked to what they earn. In the future, if most people aren't earning their money through employment, then what will they do for money? Who will work to provide the taxpayer assistance to the vast hordes of unemployed? :suspicious:

In other words, what will replace work to measure what a person earns?

YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5

Post by YoUDeeMan »

kalm wrote:
Grow a killer garden, fly fish 200+ days a year, hike, kayak, cook for friends, catch up on 15 years of neglect around the house/yard.
OK, but what will you do when 200,000 other people want to fish on the same day in the same place? Will your garden be big enough to sustain you? If not, how will you purchase food? How will your share be rationed? How will your land be rationed?

Right now, our economy/status/home/living is based upon our jobs (or inheritance). There is an order in our society that is kept in place by money (like it or not). In the past, you had to fight or work for your position in life. These days, in more advanced countries, you have to work for your position in life.

In the future, what replaces work as a measurable cog in that order? Intelligence? Genetics? Lottery? :suspicious:

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Cluck U wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

A person's occupation is directly linked to what they earn. In the future, if most people aren't earning their money through employment, then what will they do for money? Who will work to provide the taxpayer assistance to the vast hordes of unemployed? :suspicious:

In other words, what will replace work to measure what a person earns?
I don't necessarily disagree with you.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17