Political discussions
bandl
Towson
Towson

Re: Tesla does it again... scores 103 out of 100

Post by bandl »

Grizalltheway wrote:
bandl wrote:
We're going through this "issue" right now. I'm trying to get the town/state to install an electric charging station at my business. But since we're in a very rural location, they are basically saying nope. Although, go now more than 30 minutes from here and there is another distillery, in an even more rural location and not within 10 minutes of an interstate, that has a Tesla charging station.
Guess I just need to figure out who to blow around this town in order to make this happen.
Start with everyone and go from there.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

Chizzang wrote:
bandl wrote:
We're going through this "issue" right now. I'm trying to get the town/state to install an electric charging station at my business. But since we're in a very rural location, they are basically saying nope. Although, go now more than 30 minutes from here and there is another distillery, in an even more rural location and not within 10 minutes of an interstate, that has a Tesla charging station.
Guess I just need to figure out who to blow around this town in order to make this happen.
What town...
I might be of some assistance

:coffee:
We've shelved that project for now until we get our entrance driveway repaved. Priorities and stuff. If I still need reach-around service from you (for them, not for me) I'll let you know.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Bad news for Elon Musk if this is true.... :lol: :lol:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technolog ... ocid=ientp
Companies love to claim that they've discovered the Next Big Thing in lithium-ion batteries, and Toshiba is the latest to jump on this wagon.

Toshiba announced that its next-generation SCiB lithium-ion battery can take some serious abuse and charge at speeds that sound like pure science fiction. Using an anode material made from titanium niobium oxide, Toshiba claims its cells can offer double the lithium storage capacity over modern lithium-ion batteries.

The prototype version of these 50 amp-hour cells can be recharged in as little as six minutes. On Japan's new JC08 test cycle, Toshiba claims a 32-kWh EV battery can provide triple the range when compared with a typical lithium-ion battery running on that same six-minute charge cycle.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

AZGrizFan wrote:Bad news for Elon Musk if this is true.... :lol: :lol:

Companies love to claim that they've discovered the Next Big Thing in lithium-ion batteries, and Toshiba is the latest to jump on this wagon.

Toshiba announced that its next-generation SCiB lithium-ion battery can take some serious abuse and charge at speeds that sound like pure science fiction. Using an anode material made from titanium niobium oxide, Toshiba claims its cells can offer double the lithium storage capacity over modern lithium-ion batteries.

The prototype version of these 50 amp-hour cells can be recharged in as little as six minutes. On Japan's new JC08 test cycle, Toshiba claims a 32-kWh EV battery can provide triple the range when compared with a typical lithium-ion battery running on that same six-minute charge cycle.
How?

Materials science is continually advancing. The Tesla batteries were going to be obsolete in 5-10 years and that is a surprise to nobody. It’s nice that Toshiba has a fast charging battery.... Tesla may incorporate that into its newer models (if it doesn’t lead to imminent violent combustion), along with its already existent manufacturing infrastructure.

Musk should be thanking Toshiba for helping him advance the tech
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:

How?

Materials science is continually advancing. The Tesla batteries were going to be obsolete in 5-10 years and that is a surprise to nobody. It’s nice that Toshiba has a fast charging battery.... Tesla may incorporate that into its newer models (if it doesn’t lead to imminent violent combustion), along with its already existent manufacturing infrastructure.

Of course TESLA releases all of it's patents for free almost immediately
as they want the global products development to advance as quickly as possible
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

This is cross-posted in the Wawa thread, but is pertinent here. Looks like the country's best convenience store chain is embracing Tesla superchargers. I saw these this morning at the Lewes (DE) dtore. Good move for the future:

Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Im seeing a few Teslas here in Bangkok.

Asia REALLY needs to be putting electrics on the roads as fast as they can. Cities previously without air quality problems are getting bad - Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur... Bangkok's particulate matter score a couple weeks ago got over 500. That's Beijing bad. I couldn't see jetliners in the pattern at Don Mueang airport... that's 2000 feet...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:Im seeing a few Teslas here in Bangkok.

Asia REALLY needs to be putting electrics on the roads as fast as they can. Cities previously without air quality problems are getting bad - Bangkok, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur... Bangkok's particulate matter score a couple weeks ago got over 500. That's Beijing bad. I couldn't see jetliners in the pattern at Don Mueang airport... that's 2000 feet...
It's all part of the elaborate Chines Hoax

:nod:
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Im seeing a few Teslas here in Bangkok.

It's all part of the elaborate Chines Hoax

:nod:
It's actually soot - which is present in the air in most industrialized cities in the world

Soot generally stays put... localized, doesn't get way up into the atmo, and of all the claimed culprits for climate change, it isn't high on the list

CAFE standards, for the most part, do have an effect on soot and smoke levels, especially locally - look at Los Angeles of the 1970s vs Los Angeles of today - but in the 1970s if you drove an hour outside of the town, the air was clear

If every automobile in the world was electric we'd have much cleaner air - especially in cities - but our net CO2 output would not appreciably change, because we'd have to generate a LOT more electricity... but fossil fuel fired electric plants are not usually located in dense population areas, so our breathable air quality would improve greatly for a majority of people
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:This is cross-posted in the Wawa thread, but is pertinent here. Looks like the country's best convenience store chain is embracing Tesla superchargers. I saw these this morning at the Lewes (DE) dtore. Good move for the future:

I'm guessing they must be thinking of a very LONG term future if they think it's necessary to have seven charging stations for Teslas in one spot. I wonder if they're ever even going to have a situation in which anybody would have to wait if they had one charging station. Then how often would someone have to wait if they had two? Three?

But seven?
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:This is cross-posted in the Wawa thread, but is pertinent here. Looks like the country's best convenience store chain is embracing Tesla superchargers. I saw these this morning at the Lewes (DE) dtore. Good move for the future:

I'm guessing they must be thinking of a very LONG term future if they think it's necessary to have seven charging stations for Teslas in one spot. I wonder if they're ever even going to have a situation in which anybody would have to wait if they had one charging station. Then how often would someone have to wait if they had two? Three?

But seven?
You obviously aren't very familiar with this area. This station is approximately 100-200 miles away from around a half million vacationers who arrive weekly from Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, and NJ to their vacation homes and beach rentals. It'll be full Friday through Sunday every weekend this year from April 1 through September 30 and busy throughout the week. Book it. In addition, the Lewes/Rehoboth area is quite progressive, so I'm sure many locals will be further enticed to purchase a Tesla with SuperChargers in their back yard.

I work in DC and see Teslas daily on the street.

This is a brilliant partnership for Wawa and Tesla. Wawa gets food sales. Tesla gets serious advertising for its vehicles. They're parked there, sitting pretty, for the customers at the gas pump to look at jealously, and for people driving by on Coastal Highway to also look at while stopped at the light.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

But seven?
You obviously aren't very familiar with this area. This station is approximately 100-200 miles away from around a half million vacationers who arrive weekly from Philadelphia, Washington DC, Baltimore, and NJ to their vacation homes and beach rentals. It'll be full Friday through Sunday every weekend this year from April 1 through September 30 and busy throughout the week. Book it. In addition, the Lewes/Rehoboth area is quite progressive, so I'm sure many locals will be further enticed to purchase a Tesla with SuperChargers in their back yard.

This is a brilliant partnership for Wawa and Tesla. Wawa gets food sales. Tesla gets serious advertising for its vehicles. They're parked there, sitting pretty, for the customers at the gas pump to look at jealously, and for people driving by on Coastal Highway to also look at while stopped at the light.
Have you ever seen seven Tesla charging stations in on spot occupied at the same time? Have you ever seen TWO in one spot occupied at the same time? Three? Four? Five? Six?
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:

Have you ever seen seven Tesla charging stations in on spot occupied at the same time?
This is the first one I've ever seen in my life. I'll let you know when it reopens. The whole store is closed for a month while they installed these and remodel the store. But yes, I certainly expect it to be full on summer weekends. Again, I don't believe you've ever been to the Delaware beaches on a summer weekend. It would be a bit of an awakening for you.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Have you ever seen seven Tesla charging stations in on spot occupied at the same time?
This is the first one I've ever seen in my life. I'll let you know when it reopens. The whole store is closed for a month while they installed these and remodel the store. But yes, I certainly expect it to be full on summer weekends. Again, I don't believe you've ever been to the Delaware beaches on a summer weekend. It would be a bit of an awakening for you.
Here's what you'll see
Because we're seeing it here
It becomes a Tesla hang out and WaWa makes a killing in the meantime
and as you mentioned Tesla gets advertising

I've seen a half dozen Tesla's at the charging station just hanging out on a sunny day
Owners chatting drinking coffee eating donuts - chillin' with their shades on showing off their trophy wives
It's a cool kids club right now and it's growing FAST

You'll see this a lot... Gull wing doors open
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Here's what you'll see

I've seen a half dozen Tesla's at the charging station just hanging out on a sunny day
Owners chatting drinking coffee eating donuts - chillin' with their shades on showing off their trophy wives

I'm wondering if that model is soccer mom - proof

Waiting for the YouTube of one to leave them up out of the grocery store and then knock them off on the ATM overhang
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Have you ever seen seven different Teslas on a single day? You're right, I don't live up there so maybe you have. But have you? Let me know if you ever see a situation at that particular store where it looks like having two charging stations wouldn't have been enough. That'd be seeing at least three Teslas charging at the same time.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW, while all this attention is focused on Tesla, I would not be surprised if in the end the electric car market is eventually dominated by the Chinese.

Example of the type of stuff that's going on at https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -at-67-783.

That's one example. I noticed some time ago that it looks like Chinese developers are already outpacing Tesla on vehicle ranges and battery technology.
Could I ever be a star?

BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote:BTW, while all this attention is focused on Tesla, I would not be surprised if in the end the electric car market is eventually dominated by the Chinese.

Example of the type of stuff that's going on at https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... -at-67-783.

That's one example. I noticed some time ago that it looks like Chinese developers are already outpacing Tesla on vehicle ranges and battery technology.
With stolen US technology.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2015/07 ... to-us.html
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:

How?

How? Because everything I’ve read says Musk doens’t Want to own the electric CAR market, he wants to own the BATTERY market. The cars are just a means to an end...
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Chizzang wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Here's what you'll see

How much did it cost to put in those 7 stations? I assume a 6 figure amount? Is Tesla paying for that and the Tesla owners paying for the electricity? Otherwise that is ALOT of coffee and doughnuts.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

BDKJMU wrote: How much did it cost to put in those 7 stations? I assume a 6 figure amount? Is Tesla paying for that and the Tesla owners paying for the electricity? Otherwise that is ALOT of coffee and doughnuts.
I would guess it doesn't cost much more than running any utility. It's just electric.

I would assume Tesla paid for the installation. They may even be paying Wawa a residual as long as they're there. Wawa is not going to shell out money for seven more customers an hour. Those stores are turning people through nonstop. I'd say 2-4 customers per minute during the day. More at breakfast and lunch. Much more. You know that.

As far as the output, customers pay for Tesla juice. That's their model. You get a certain amount free, then you pay (on the latest models anyway - I think the earliest adopters get free juice).
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:

But seven?
I'm going out on a limb here and am going to assume since you can charge a Tesla at any EV station that you can charge ANY EV vehicle at a Tesla superstition. I know that Ford, Audi, BWM, Daimler Chrysler, GM, Porsche, and Volkswagen agreed to use the same charging system and plug.

I could be wrong - but I'm thinking it's a safe bet that either A) Tesla EV stations work on other EV; or B) Tesla will come out with something so any EV can use it's stations. That would fit into the core values of Tesla.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

JohnStOnge wrote:
93henfan wrote:
Have you ever seen seven different Teslas on a single day? You're right, I don't live up there so maybe you have. But have you? Let me know if you ever see a situation at that particular store where it looks like having two charging stations wouldn't have been enough. That'd be seeing at least three Teslas charging at the same time.
Yes. Tesla's are EVERYWHERE in Charlotte. Maybe they haven't made their ways to Bumblescum, LA where you are but up here, you will see electric vehicles from the Leaf and Volt to BMWs and Telas every day. There are 5 EV stations outside my building and they are constantly in use. SO are the EV stations the next block over, in the parking garages and parking lots.

Face it Jon - your world view is severely limited to your piece of Earth down there in LA. And let's be honest - Louisiana as a whole isn't very forward thinking. They are popular in the major cities and closet communities in NC/SC.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

93henfan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: How much did it cost to put in those 7 stations? I assume a 6 figure amount? Is Tesla paying for that and the Tesla owners paying for the electricity? Otherwise that is ALOT of coffee and doughnuts.
I would guess it doesn't cost much more than running any utility. It's just electric.

I would assume Tesla paid for the installation. They may even be paying Wawa a residual as long as they're there. Wawa is not going to shell out money for seven more customers an hour. Those stores are turning people through nonstop. I'd say 2-4 customers per minute during the day. More at breakfast and lunch. Much more. You know that.

As far as the output, customers pay for Tesla juice. That's their model. You get a certain amount free, then you pay (on the latest models anyway - I think the earliest adopters get free juice).
And being Tesla, how much you want to bet there's are Tesla solar panels somewhere charging a series of power banks?
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

Ibanez wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
Yes. Tesla's are EVERYWHERE in Charlotte. Maybe they haven't made their ways to Bumblescum, LA where you are but up here, you will see electric vehicles from the Leaf and Volt to BMWs and Telas every day. There are 5 EV stations outside my building and they are constantly in use. SO are the EV stations the next block over, in the parking garages and parking lots.

Face it Jon - your world view is severely limited to your piece of Earth down there in LA. And let's be honest - Louisiana as a whole isn't very forward thinking. They are popular in the major cities and closet communities in NC/SC.
I drive all over the country because I don't like to fly and I have to go to conferences and meetings all over the country. I will do things like rent a car and drive from the Baton Rouge area to Seattle for a conference. I'm pretty sure I have never seen anything close to seven Tesla's in one day. I can't recall ever going to Charlotte though. So maybe so.

I have been to North Carolina pretty many times but most of the time it's near the coast because my job and the conferences have to do with estuaries. I don't recall ever seeing even a single Tesla in North Carolina. I'll admit that the last time I drove to North Carolina was for a conference at the Duke University Marine lab a Beaufort in 2014 so maybe things have changed a lot since then.
Could I ever be a star?