Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Re: Tesla does it again... scores 103 out of 100

Post by CID1990 »

Ibanez wrote:
Pwns wrote:
Doesn't sound that way to me. They are letting people unlock this portion of the battery for a fee.
How is it different than your gas light going on at "empty" but you still have 30 miles until you truly run out?
Because your gas light literally means "you have 30 miles to go"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

CID1990 wrote:
Ibanez wrote: How is it different than your gas light going on at "empty" but you still have 30 miles until you truly run out?
Because your gas light literally means "you have 30 miles to go"

50 in my Chevy. :nod:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Plus when your gas light says you have 30 miles to go you can stop at a gas station and replenish your energy supply within maybe 5 minutes to a point where you now have like 400 miles to go whereas if you were in an electric vehicle you'd have to spend about 30 minutes to get to the point where you would have maybe 170 miles to go. That's IF you could find a quick charging station. Otherwise you'd be talking like 12 hours.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:Plus when your gas light says you have 30 miles to go you can stop at a gas station and replenish your energy supply within maybe 5 minutes to a point where you now have like 400 miles to go whereas if you were in an electric vehicle you'd have to spend about 30 minutes to get to the point where you would have maybe 170 miles to go. That's IF you could find a quick charging station. Otherwise you'd be talking like 12 hours.
So here's a novel idea:

If your typical driving profile would regularly put you in that kind of position, maybe you shouldn't buy a fvcking Tesla

I could have spent my entire last year in the US, driven a Tesla, and not once would I have been inconvenienced by its range or scarcity of quick charging stations

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:Plus when your gas light says you have 30 miles to go you can stop at a gas station and replenish your energy supply within maybe 5 minutes to a point where you now have like 400 miles to go whereas if you were in an electric vehicle you'd have to spend about 30 minutes to get to the point where you would have maybe 170 miles to go. That's IF you could find a quick charging station. Otherwise you'd be talking like 12 hours.
So here's a novel idea:

If your typical driving profile would regularly put you in that kind of position, maybe you shouldn't buy a fvcking Tesla

I could have spent my entire last year in the US, driven a Tesla, and not once would I have been inconvenienced by its range or scarcity of quick charging stations

I tried getting that through his skull half a dozen times over the past year.

Finally gave up. :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Electric Auto range is not a problem for 80% of Americans
They have a term for what John is expressing - it's a common enough neurosis they named it

"Range Anxiety"
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Chizzang wrote:Electric Auto range is not a problem for 80% of Americans
They have a term for what John is expressing - it's a common enough neurosis they named it

"Range Anxiety"
I saw the only Tesla in our area at a farm stand last week. Four door with a child seat in the back. Talked with the owner about this very subject. Says there are plenty of charging stations around our area with more coming online daily. Took me for a spin in it, accelerates like a V8. Because we live on 25 acres a pickup is indispensable but my wife's cmax hybrid will be replaced by a Tesla or a Bolt when the time comes.

John, you remember how the CIA, and everyone else, was caught flat footed by how quickly the Soviet Union collapsed? That's where you're at with respect to electric cars. They're here and they're taking over and we'll all be the better for it. I bet road safety improves when people take a short break every couple hundred miles too. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Range anxiety will no longer be a concern once the electric automakers adopt a removable battery standard and battery exchanges (aka the future gas station) are established. Hell, switching out a battery might be faster than gassing up.

In the meantime, I'll just keep on getting 55+ mpg in my diesel. http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/go ... tdi/618927
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

Range anxiety?

Sounds like a condition for metrosexuals with purty mouths who visit Montana.

Hiyo!
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Bring on the electric cars. Lots of kwh to sell. :nod:

And I'm working on an electric meter filter that will only let the green electrons from solar and wind through the meter. It will not let the dirty black electrons from coal and natural gas through to charge your electric car. I'm getting close to getting it done. It's going to look something like this.

If you want in on the ground floor PM me your info and I'll send you more details on how to invest.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

HI54UNI wrote:Bring on the electric cars. Lots of kwh to sell. :nod:

And I'm working on an electric meter filter that will only let the green electrons from solar and wind through the meter. It will not let the dirty black electrons from coal and natural gas through to charge your electric car. I'm getting close to getting it done. It's going to look something like this.

If you want in on the ground floor PM me your info and I'll send you more details on how to invest.
I just mailed you twelve bucks and a dime of weed. Let me know when it's ready.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

"Range Anxiety"
Or in JSO its called

"OCD on a Message Board"

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:

"Range Anxiety"
Or in JSO its called

"OCD on a Message Board"
I've heard the terminology "Range Anxiety" before. The thing is, I didn't hear it in the context of people who don't buy electric cars because of it. I heard it on NPR as part of discussion of people who DO own electric cars and are driven by experience to suffer from it.
Could I ever be a star?

JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

"Range Anxiety"
It's not a neurosis because a neurosis involves irrational thought. Deciding that the all electric car situation isn't "there" yet as far as one's personal preference in terms of what one wants in a vehicle isn't irrational.

Like for instance the article at https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/elec ... explained/ actually calls "range anxiety" a "psychosis." Yet it lists very rational reasons for not wanting to get an all electric car. For instance:
Consequently, it’s important to leave yourself a little wiggle room when planning trips. If you can’t fully charge the car at a given stop, charge it to the point where you’ll have enough juice to reach your destination, and then some. On trips that push your car’s limits, make sure you’ll be able to reach charging stations along the way, but keep in mind that it will still take you longer to get from point A to point B because charging takes more time than filling up with gas.
And this:
For extra-long trips, consider using a different vehicle or mode of transportation altogether. See if it makes sense to fly or take the train, or even rent a gasoline car. BMW offers complimentary loans of internal-combustion cars to its i3 owners, for example. Or maybe keep a gas-powered car or plug-in hybrid around as a second vehicle for times when your all-electric car’s range won’t cut it.
Then this:
Owning an electric car can definitely be more challenging than owning an internal-combustion car. Shorter ranges and longer charging times shrink the margin of error for reaching a destination considerably.
It does reference the MIT study that estimated that "electric cars could replace 87 percent of the personal vehicles on the road and still get us where we need to go ." But what's basically going on there is looking at the proportion of trips that are short enough for using electric cars without substantial inconvenience. I think it largely comes down to this comment at the end of the article describing the study at https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6021 ... overblown/:
“Every time I see a paper like this, the major takeaway is Hey, you don’t actually to be scared about these—the math works out,” he says. “But there is that issue when you are driving long-haul or vacation or whatever it happens to be.”
That issue isn't there with an internal combustion vehicle. A day will come when it won't be there with an all electric vehicle either. But it's not here yet.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:

"Range Anxiety"
It's not a neurosis because a neurosis involves irrational thought. Deciding that the all electric car situation isn't "there" yet as far as one's personal preference in terms of what one wants in a vehicle isn't irrational.

Like for instance the article at https://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/elec ... explained/ actually calls "range anxiety" a "psychosis." Yet it lists very rational reasons for not wanting to get an all electric car. For instance:
Consequently, it’s important to leave yourself a little wiggle room when planning trips. If you can’t fully charge the car at a given stop, charge it to the point where you’ll have enough juice to reach your destination, and then some. On trips that push your car’s limits, make sure you’ll be able to reach charging stations along the way, but keep in mind that it will still take you longer to get from point A to point B because charging takes more time than filling up with gas.
And this:
For extra-long trips, consider using a different vehicle or mode of transportation altogether. See if it makes sense to fly or take the train, or even rent a gasoline car. BMW offers complimentary loans of internal-combustion cars to its i3 owners, for example. Or maybe keep a gas-powered car or plug-in hybrid around as a second vehicle for times when your all-electric car’s range won’t cut it.
Then this:
Owning an electric car can definitely be more challenging than owning an internal-combustion car. Shorter ranges and longer charging times shrink the margin of error for reaching a destination considerably.
It does reference the MIT study that estimated that "electric cars could replace 87 percent of the personal vehicles on the road and still get us where we need to go ." But what's basically going on there is looking at the proportion of trips that are short enough for using electric cars without substantial inconvenience. I think it largely comes down to this comment at the end of the article describing the study at https://www.technologyreview.com/s/6021 ... overblown/:
“Every time I see a paper like this, the major takeaway is Hey, you don’t actually to be scared about these—the math works out,” he says. “But there is that issue when you are driving long-haul or vacation or whatever it happens to be.”
That issue isn't there with an internal combustion vehicle. A day will come when it won't be there with an all electric vehicle either. But it's not here yet.
Why not just say "EVs aren't for me" and save us all the bandwidth

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

And this:

Then this:

He's worried about the coming time when his 'hood will no longer be drenched with chemical waste. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

It's almost entirely "home market" based...
If you live in an area where you see electric cars all over the place and you see charging stations
and parking lots with charging slots the anxiety subsides

Interesting to note:
All the electric cars now have an easy to find touch screen that will literally show you every charging station and parking lot with chargers

And it'll prioritize shopping centers, commercial areas and grocery stores with chargers
So over time you instinctively know where they are
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

Chizzang wrote: And it'll prioritize shopping centers, commercial areas and grocery stores with chargers
We're going through this "issue" right now. I'm trying to get the town/state to install an electric charging station at my business. But since we're in a very rural location, they are basically saying nope. Although, go now more than 30 minutes from here and there is another distillery, in an even more rural location and not within 10 minutes of an interstate, that has a Tesla charging station.
Guess I just need to figure out who to blow around this town in order to make this happen.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

bandl wrote:
Chizzang wrote: And it'll prioritize shopping centers, commercial areas and grocery stores with chargers
We're going through this "issue" right now. I'm trying to get the town/state to install an electric charging station at my business. But since we're in a very rural location, they are basically saying nope. Although, go now more than 30 minutes from here and there is another distillery, in an even more rural location and not within 10 minutes of an interstate, that has a Tesla charging station.
Guess I just need to figure out who to blow around this town in order to make this happen.
What town...
I might be of some assistance

:coffee:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

bandl wrote:
Start with everyone and go from there.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Grizalltheway wrote:
bandl wrote:
Start with everyone and go from there.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
Because it's not just me. There are numerous, rational reasons for numerous people to conclude that if you are going to buy one vehicle electric cars just aren't yet where they need to be to lead those people to buy one. If such people are looking for a toy while also having a vehicle that's more convenient to maybe they'd buy one. But most people aren't going to do that.

Like I said: I'm confident that they'll get there. They're just not there yet.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
Because it's not just me. There are numerous, rational reasons for numerous people to conclude that if you are going to buy one vehicle electric cars just aren't yet where they need to be to lead those people to buy one. If such people are looking for a toy while also having a vehicle that's more convenient to maybe they'd buy one. But most people aren't going to do that.

JSO... these "most people" you speak of...

They live in cities and suburbs. And they have commutes of 50 miles or less. The EVs are already there

Maybe not for you, but you are literally an outlier on everything.... even the human race
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

CID1990 wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

JSO... these "most people" you speak of...

They live in cities and suburbs. And they have commutes of 50 miles or less. The EVs are already there

Maybe not for you, but you are literally an outlier on everything.... even the human race
Right now, when it comes to owning or not owning an all electric vehicle, I am not the outlier. A person who owns an all electric vehicle is an outlier. And they are an outlier if they live in a city or a suburb. Or anywhere else.

My commute is 16 miles. It's not just the commute. It's life. Replenishing energy is just not as convenient for all electric vehicles right now as it is for internal combustion vehicles.

Do you own any vehicles? If so, are any of them all electric?
Could I ever be a star?

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

Popular Mechanics thinks they're here now: 2017 Car of the Year: Chevy Bolt :coffee: