Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Minimum Wage Seattle...

Post by Ibanez »

89Hen wrote:
Ibanez wrote:once I leave the office, I don't care. When I get home, the last thing I want to do is work.
When I get home, the last thing I want to do is work too, but that's not reality for many careers these days.
Then you should be paid accordingly. Life is not about work. Life is not about this bullshit we do in an office or a school. If there's a problem and can be resolved by a few phone calls or about 10 minutes of work, then that's one thing. But if someone is consistently working 8 or so hours only to go home and keep working then they are doing something wrong. There are circumstances/careers which are 24/7 and I get that. But what's so important that you have to work instead of spending time doing things you enjoy?

I'd rather work to live than the other way around. And I don't care what I had to do. If digging ditches paid me enough, i'd gladly dig those ditches. Your work shouldn't necessarily define you. :twocents:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Ibanez wrote:
89Hen wrote: When I get home, the last thing I want to do is work too, but that's not reality for many careers these days.
Then you should be paid accordingly. Life is not about work. Life is not about this bullshit we do in an office or a school. If there's a problem and can be resolved by a few phone calls or about 10 minutes of work, then that's one thing. But if someone is consistently working 8 or so hours only to go home and keep working then they are doing something wrong. There are circumstances/careers which are 24/7 and I get that. But what's so important that you have to work instead of spending time doing things you enjoy?

I'd rather work to live than the other way around. And I don't care what I had to do. If digging ditches paid me enough, i'd gladly dig those ditches. Your work shouldn't necessarily define you. :twocents:
Yup, but making that choice gets harder as you and your kids get older. Once you start down the path, it's hard to detour.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
im the same way - both in police work and in what i currently do you have to take the job off with your work shoes or it will kill you

when i was a cop i used to tell my subordinates to get as far away from the job as possible on their days off - and dont work all those off duty jobs. if you cant survive on your base salary then find another job

i was diagnosed with PTSD after leaving law enforcement even after following all my own advice. the guys who live and breathe that job are all heading for early graves

my new job has me on call 24/7, but it also allows me to have my deputies fill in for me

plus I dont have people trying to fight me, i dont get piss balloons thrown at me, and though i still get the occasional dead body it is usually already on ice in the morgue instead of dismembered or hanging from the garage ceiling

the pay is better too
I could see ex-military guys enjoying a police gig in a town like Redmond
50,000 residents / 99% employment / white people with kids everywhere
Fancy squad cars

The guys working the late shift park their cars sidelong in the all night grocery store parking lot
get out of their cars and stand and talk drinking coffee that the girls in the store bring out to them

:notworthy:

Occasionally they jump in their cars and race off some code 2 thing happens
Usually like a garage break in or college kids naked in the public pool

Good times...

Now CITY COPS that job is not good - and is absolutely killing the officers with stress
I hope the money is good because the job is a heart condition death sentence
Redmond sounds a lot like Mt Pleasant, SC

right across the river in CHS we used to laugh when there was an accident or a jumper on the Cooper River bridge because the MPPD would show up like the President himself was up there in need of rescue

when we showed up it was more like, "hopefully this dude will go ahead and jump so we can open up traffic and get to our other 50 pending calls... meh"
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Fancy squad cars

The guys working the late shift park their cars sidelong in the all night grocery store parking lot
get out of their cars and stand and talk drinking coffee that the girls in the store bring out to them

Good times...

Now CITY COPS that job is not good - and is absolutely killing the officers with stress

right across the river in CHS we used to laugh when there was an accident or a jumper on the Cooper River bridge because the MPPD would show up like the President himself was up there in need of rescue

when we showed up it was more like, "hopefully this dude will go ahead and jump so we can open up traffic and get to our other 50 pending calls... meh"
The two biggest crimes to come out of Mt.P in the past few years involved Wando students robbing a store and a Wando student killing another out of jealousy.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Fancy squad cars

Good times...

You guys sound like a bunch of NYPD A-Holes :rofl:
which is hilarious because I know you're not an A-hole or NYPD

:ohno:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:

NYPD is overrated

"we have more calls than we have cops" - said no NYPD cop ever

(oh and they ride 2 to a car.... union rule)
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

NYPD is overrated

That sounds like Seattle
When polled the King County residents thought the city should have MORE police
even when considering the extra cost they still thought more police was better

The poll was after the city was asking people about the "new cops on bikes" program
and everybody loved it - especially the women - young athletic cops in shorts on bikes all over town
most people polled felt like they could relate to and talk to a cop on a bike

So now we've got cops on horses / Bikes / squad cars / The trolley / on foot / in boats...
Actually its nice - if a city is going to spend money that's a good thing to spend it on

These guys have it the worst...
Drunken belligerent rich ass-holes (with lawyers on retainer)
falling of their boats and running into sh!t
and suing everybody who tries to help them
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
NYPD is overrated

That sounds like Seattle
even when considering the extra cost
they still thought more police was better

The poll was after the city was asking people about the "new cops on bikes" program
and everybody loved it - especially the women - young athletic cops in shorts on bikes all over town

So now we've got cops on horses / Bikes / squad cars / The trolley / on foot / in boats...
Actually its nice - if a city is going to spend money that's a good thing to spend it on

Those residents really do believe in the money tree. :coffee: :kisswink:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:
NYPD is overrated

That sounds like Seattle

it's funny you mention them. I've worked with King and Pierce county's swift water unit for 3 yrs there are some good guys on that force and King County just saved close to $1M on a single procurement because of my company. So, how do you like that? :)
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

Ibanez wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
That sounds like Seattle

it's funny you mention them. I've worked with King and Pierce county's swift water unit for 3 yrs there are some good guys on that force and King County just saved close to $1M on a single procurement because of my company. So, how do you like that? :)
Maybe they can pay the janitors $70k/year now.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
Ibanez wrote: it's funny you mention them. I've worked with King and Pierce county's swift water unit for 3 yrs there are some good guys on that force and King County just saved close to $1M on a single procurement because of my company. So, how do you like that? :)
Maybe they can pay the janitors $70k/year now.
Not bloody likely!
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

In Chizzy's defense, WA unemployment numbers are holding steady at 4.5%. Seattle metro area is at 3.5%.

Most of the gains are in government jobs, tho.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/a ... -at-45-pe/
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

tribe_pride wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote: Not sure on the qualification part, but keep a record of your OT. When the salary discussion hits again, you want to include your historical overtime pay in the equation for negotiating your salary. So if you are making $10K per year plus $1k in OT, you should ask for at least $11k. But if more OT is expected, it should probably be more like $12k. Salary status may also bump you into bonus category, or increase your bonus.
Agreed with CAA on expectations of going exempt or salaried (though it may or may not be your choice at one point). Whether you are eligible to be an exempt employee, it all depends on your specific duties. Title has little to do with it since I can call anyone I want a manger or VP but that means squat at certain companies.

With respect to being paid for stuff done outside of work, the answer is you are supposed to be compensated for it but employer needs to know you are doing it for you to be paid. That being said watch out about doing too much OT without permission. While you must be paid for it, you can be disciplined for doing too much OT because it costs the company extra money for it. It sounds stupid to discipline someone for doing extra work but when it costs a company 50% more for that work to be done, it can be understandable from the Company's part.
Once you're salaried you'll get more OT than ever and you'll work it for free. Stay hourly.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Ibanez wrote:
89Hen wrote: When I get home, the last thing I want to do is work too, but that's not reality for many careers these days.

It's only work if you'd rather be somewhere else.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky