Kerry Fails Again-Iran Talks Extended-No Agreement In Sight

Political discussions
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: Kerry Fails Again-Iran Talks Extended-No Agreement In Sight

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Ibanez wrote: In that case - does experience matter at all? Why not pull some fry cooks from Burger King and have them doing missile watch at NORAD. :coffee:
Great idea. :coffee: :thumb:
The old meme that never gets old:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: You can't take the bias out though; it's obviously a significant experience in someone's life. Terminology aside, I want people with zero military experience to oversee it.

And don't take me wrong, this is also for the military's protection. Experience-bias runs both ways; I've known veterans who have nothing but anger and hate for the armed forces. You don't want to inadvertently get someone like that running the whole thing.
Then perhaps we shouldn't have politicians running the government? You know...experience bias and all that...
The DoD literally deals with one of the most serious topics a nation can face: war. And the military has the physical capability to usurp the government. Considering the head of the DoD is appointed and not elected by the People, it's not unreasonable to want fairly tight considerations on who leads it.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Then perhaps we shouldn't have politicians running the government? You know...experience bias and all that...
The DoD literally deals with one of the most serious topics a nation can face: war. And the military has the physical capability to usurp the government. Considering the head of the DoD is appointed and not elected by the People, it's not unreasonable to want fairly tight considerations on who leads it.
And there you go.
Why would you want someone "elected" in that position?
"Appointed" is the way to go because
1. Less likely to seek to overthrow his/her appointer
2. Can be removed from the position in a matter of minutes, rather than waiting on impeachment proceedings.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
You do realize the DOD reports through the Executive Branch and therefore is ultimately led by the President, who is elected (and no need for an Electoral College debate here - we have that elsewhere)? I don't think we're ripe for a military coup in this country anytime soon. :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
And well armed citizens.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
:ohno: Gannon and Hen are right - you don't need this to be an elected position. That's crazy. The DOD answers to the Chief Executive who is elected by the people and confirmed be their representatives.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

So in summation, trip wants the DoD, without any prior service experience, to lead the most powerful military the world has ever seen, for fear of a coup?
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

andy7171 wrote:So in summation, trip wants the DoD, without any prior service experience, to lead the most powerful military the world has ever seen, for fear of a coup?
Because, you know, the only thing standing between us and a military coup is the Secretary of Defense. He's that pivotal. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Where do I say it needs to be an elected official? I'm saying that as an appointed position, we need to be particularly careful.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

GannonFan wrote:
andy7171 wrote:So in summation, trip wants the DoD, without any prior service experience, to lead the most powerful military the world has ever seen, for fear of a coup?
Because, you know, the only thing standing between us and a military coup is the Secretary of Defense. He's that pivotal. :rofl:
I'm talking about the entire top leadership of the DoD. If it were up to me, I'd make it a disqualification to be President if you were in the armed forces. But it's up to the People.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
I'm talking about the entire top leadership of the DoD. If it were up to me, I'd make it a disqualification to be President if you were in the armed forces. But it's up to the People.
What in the actual fuck? :lol: Holy Christ! :rofl:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
:suspicious: That’s one of the most retarded comments I’ve ever heard on here, and that says a lot. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: Most of our presidents have served in the military. You want to bar the only people who have experienced the sacrifice of serving, and horrors of war from, and who have the best understanding of the military, from commanding it as CIC. You’ve just gone full retard on here.. :rofl:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
What in the actual fuck???!!!!??!!?!??! Oh Christ....there isn’t enough deodorant or Gold Bond for this....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Yup..the military should serve at the complete whim of the people, with little to no bias whatsoever. We already have a potent military industrial complex going...time to radically reign it in.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

∞∞∞ wrote:Yup..the military should serve at the complete whim of the people, with little to no bias whatsoever. We already have a potent military industrial complex going...time to radically reign it in.
Why? To make #2-100 all that more formidable? Did you see what Israel did to the dumbfucks in Russian equipment the other day?

"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I'm talking about the entire top leadership of the DoD. If it were up to me, I'd make it a disqualification to be President if you were in the armed forces. But it's up to the People.
:suspicious: That’s one of the most retarded comments I’ve ever heard on here, and that says a lot. :dunce: :dunce: :dunce: Most of our presidents have served in the military. You want to bar the only people who have experienced the sacrifice of serving, and horrors of war from, and who have the best understanding of the military, from commanding it as CIC. You’ve just gone full retard on here.. :rofl:
Harry Truman U.S. Army and U.S. Army Reserve - WWI
Dwight D. Eisenhower U.S. Army - WWI (Served in U.S.) WWII (Served as Supreme Allied Commander) (Commander in Chief as President.)
John F. Kennedy U.S. Navy - WWII He received the Purple Heart and Navy and Marine Corps Medals.
Lyndon B. Johnson U.S. Naval Reserve - He was in an airplane when it was attacked in WWII.)
Richard Nixon U.S. Naval Reserve - WWII
Gerald Ford U.S. Naval Reserve - WWII
Jimmy Carter U.S. Navy - Served during WWII at the Naval Academy, served in U.S. Navy during the Korean War.
Ronald Reagan U.S. Army Reserve - WWII served in U.S.
George H. Bush United States Naval Reserve - WWII Combat Pilot. He won the Distinguished Flying Cross.
Bill Clinton None
George W. Bush Texas Air National Guard - Served in U.S. during Vietnam War.
Barack Obama None
Donald Trump None

Looks like the country somewhat agrees with you, Trip. What do you get when you have Presidents who haven't served? You get Bill Clinton, GWII, Obomba and Drump.

No thanks. I'll fucking PASS.

THAT is your end goal?
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

93henfan wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I'm talking about the entire top leadership of the DoD. If it were up to me, I'd make it a disqualification to be President if you were in the armed forces. But it's up to the People.
What in the actual ****? :lol: Holy Christ! :rofl:
He needs to run for Congress

"Guam might tip over" guy needs someone to relate to

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Couldn't disagree more with Tripp. I'd argue we could use someone with a military background for CiC.

If anything they are more likely to frown on the production of a million rounds of ammunition and 1,000 gas masks for storage at the Department of Education than some career politician and more likely to frown on selling lots of weapons to backward countries that will end up being bombed by our own planes.

But I think our celebrity generals like Grant and Eisenhower and even Colin Powell are an extinct breed.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Dwight D. Eisenhower U.S. Army - WWI (Served in U.S.) WWII (Served as Supreme Allied Commander) (Commander in Chief as President.)
John F. Kennedy U.S. Navy - WWII He received the Purple Heart and Navy and Marine Corps Medals.
Lyndon B. Johnson U.S. Naval Reserve - He was in an airplane when it was attacked in WWII.)
Jimmy Carter U.S. Navy - Served during WWII at the Naval Academy, served in U.S. Navy during the Korean War.
George H. Bush United States Naval Reserve - WWII Combat Pilot. He won the Distinguished Flying Cross.
Bill Clinton None
Barack Obama None
Donald Trump None

Looks like the country somewhat agrees with you, Trip. What do you get when you have Presidents who haven't served? You get Bill Clinton, GWII, Obomba and Drump.

No thanks. I'll **** PASS.

THAT is your end goal?
Other than Bush II, I would have voted for everyone of those guys during their era. I wouldn't vote for them today where defense money is so closely tied with a large portion of the economy. Much of that is due to ex-military people, both in government and private industry, convincing Congress we need these large budgets. And shame on Congress for continuing to approve it.

This old boys network needs to be cut off.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Bill Clinton None
Barack Obama None
Donald Trump None

No thanks. I'll **** PASS.

THAT is your end goal?
Other than Bush II, I would have voted for everyone of those guys during their era. I wouldn't vote for them today where defense money is so closely tied with a large portion of the economy. Much of that is due to ex-military people, both in government and private industry, convincing Congress we need these large budgets. And shame on Congress for continuing to approve it.

This old boys network needs to be cut off.
How many things can you fundamentally misunderstand in one thread?

Military costs have been a bugaboo forever - and they ARE a problem.

But military and ex military people aren't convincing Congress of anything. That is so oversimplified and wrong that it might as well be coming from InfoWars.

It is the military suppliers themselves like Northrop Grumman that are inflating prices, combined with the completely broken Federal procurement process that makes it possible. Military people inside the building are concerned with capability and quantity (which is exactly the focus we want). If anything, the recent DoD testimony to the Senate Armed Services committee on the A-10 replacement highlights why actual military people NEED to be involved - because this civilian DoD pogue with zero expertise on CAS tried to explain to John McCain how the B-2 bomber could assume the role of the A-10. She sounded a lot like you -

Ex-military people are also embedded with the defense contractors themselves. But I will go out on a limb here and assume that I don't need to explain to you why it is beneficial to have a fighter pilot working for a company that builds fighter aircraft

On a side note- isn't it funny how we want to get the "experts" out of defense, but only the "experts" can do diplomacy? It's interesting where experience matters and where it is "appalling"
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Military service should be neither necessary or disqualifying.

However, saying something like Trump said about McCain being a POW back early during the Republican primaries should be disqualifying. You know, a guy who was not in the military and sought multiple deferments in order to avoid being drafted saying that about someone who could've gotten out of it but instead volunteered. Sensible people would have absolutely refused to vote for such a person.

But, unfortunately, we obviously have 10s of millions of people who are not sensible persons.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

JohnStOnge wrote:Military service should be neither necessary or disqualifying.

However, saying something like Trump said about McCain being a POW back early during the Republican primaries should be disqualifying. You know, a guy who was not in the military and sought multiple deferments in order to avoid being drafted saying that about someone who could've gotten out of it but instead volunteered. Sensible people would have absolutely refused to vote for such a person.

But, unfortunately, we obviously have 10s of millions of people who are not sensible persons.
So you’re going to eliminate a candidate as soon as they say something inappropriate about someone? Very quickly you’d have no candidates left.

And it is supremely interesting that you’d dismiss Trump out of hand for what he said about ONE PERSON, yet you have no problem typing reams justifying Hildacunt’s comment that disparaged 25% of the US population (in your mind). :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Holy fuck Trip is taking a complete beating in this thread and rightfully so. :rofl:

A little advice Trip: Stop posting in this thread or you might find yourself next to Opie, Razor, houndy, (and soon jellybean) on the CS.com Mnt Rushmore Retard Thread Hall of Fame if this goes on for another 20 pages.
CID1990
Level5
Level5

Post by CID1990 »

You literally have gone full bonkers

You should just type your response which is relevant to the topic (that was your first sentence only) and then just have some boilerplate about how Trump is an atrocity you can just paste on the end of everything you write

Even easier - why not just put your manifesto in your signature line? It would save you a lot of typing
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

Could have gotten out of it my ass. That would be career suicide for the son of an admiral who (barely) graduated from Annapolis. He would have been like Z: watching the other officers fly jets while he babysat the MKRBs.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky