4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Re: Kerry Fails Again-Iran Talks Extended-No Agreement In Sight

Post by CAA Flagship »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CAA Flagship wrote:Here's a better deal:
1. Hey Iran, the world community will have access to inspect your facilities whenever we want, and for that, we will not wipe out your regime.
2. Sign Here: __________________________________
This reasoning is why I advocate complete civilian control of the military.

With that suggestion, why not completely eliminate international diplomacy and threaten any nation with destruction? I mean comparatively, no nation is in a position of strength against us.

No offense, but this line of thinking is the military-industrial mindset Eisenhower warned about. As civilians, it's our duty to be wary, vigilant, critical, and question military action over diplomacy.
You are forgetting about the worldwide terrorism that Iran has been supporting.
We all want a perfect world, and if it wasn't for people, we would have it. There is a percentage of people that suck and there is nothing we can do about it. So we create laws and rules, and provide counseling, treatment, and punishment. Iran doesn't seem to want to go through the counseling and treatment phases.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

∞∞∞ wrote:
1. Hey Iran, the world community will have access to inspect your facilities whenever we want, and for that, we will not wipe out your regime.
This reasoning is why I advocate complete civilian control of the military.

With that suggestion, why not completely eliminate international diplomacy and threaten any nation with destruction? I mean comparatively, no nation is in a position of strength against us.

No offense, but this line of thinking is the military-industrial mindset Eisenhower warned about. As civilians, it's our duty to be wary, vigilant, critical, and question military action over diplomacy.
How about we assassinate the leadership in Iran? Or destroy all their military installations?
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

CAA Flagship wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: This reasoning is why I advocate complete civilian control of the military.

You are forgetting about the worldwide terrorism that Iran has been supporting.
We all want a perfect world, and if it wasn't for people, we would have it. There is a percentage of people that suck and there is nothing we can do about it. So we create laws and rules, and provide counseling, treatment, and punishment. Iran doesn't seem to want to go through the counseling and treatment phases.
Trip's obviously forgetting about how we took Iraq in a weekend.... :rofl:

Speaking of worldwide support of terrorism, it's a good thing we provide the Saudis with arms and money....so they can fight evil Iranian client states and make sure the other brand of islamic fundie doesn't spread. :clap:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

What's it say about the other signatories of the Iran deal that they can't continue without the US? You'd think Iran would be pleased to see us go.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Kerry Fails Again-Iran Talks Extended-No Agreement In Sight

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
With that suggestion, why not completely eliminate international diplomacy and threaten any nation with destruction?
Because there’s only one nation that

1) avows the total destruction of a peaceful neighbor
2) exports terrorism as foreign policy
3) is working on nuclear weapons

all at once

BTW we do have complete civilian control of the military - did you think we didn’t? That was a clumsy straw man if not
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

I wonder what Tripp's views will be when he grows up.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

CID1990 wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:
With that suggestion, why not completely eliminate international diplomacy and threaten any nation with destruction?
Because there’s only one nation that

1) avows the total destruction of a peaceful neighbor
2) exports terrorism as foreign policy
3) is working on nuclear weapons

all at once

BTW we do have complete civilian control of the military - did you think we didn’t? That was a clumsy straw man if not
Yeah, I gotta admit I stopped reading after that post from trip. :lol: :lol: :lol:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote:BTW we do have complete civilian control of the military - did you think we didn’t? That was a clumsy straw man if not
I know; I'm simply stating that I advocate it. I thought it was appalling that Mattis, who I respect for his military career, was nominated and confirmed to lead the DoD.

That said, I acknowledge I'd rather have Mattis advise Trump than the some of the civilian-members he's raised to positions of power. But I'm also weary of "experienced" people like Bolton.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote:BTW we do have complete civilian control of the military - did you think we didn’t? That was a clumsy straw man if not
I know; I'm simply stating that I advocate it. I thought it was appalling that Mattis, who I respect for his military career, was nominated and confirmed to lead the DoD.

That said, I acknowledge I'd rather have Mattis advise Trump than the some of the civilian-members he's raised to positions of power. But I'm also weary of "experienced" people like Bolton.
You have a rather selective respect for our "traditional" institutions

Bending the rules on SecDef: appalling

Bending the rules on Senate and treaties: A-OK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

CID1990 wrote:You have a rather selective respect for our "traditional" institutions

I am selective because I don't think the Constitution is some be-all, end-all document. If it's a compassionate, moral, or common-sense argument, the Constitution should take a back-step to it.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

89Hen wrote:I wonder what Tripp's views will be when he grows up.
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

∞∞∞ wrote:
CID1990 wrote:You have a rather selective respect for our "traditional" institutions

I am selective because I don't think the Constitution is some be-all, end-all document. If it's a compassionate, moral, or common-sense argument, the Constitution should take a back-step to it.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:I am selective because I don't think the Constitution is some be-all, end-all document. If it's a compassionate, moral, or common-sense argument, the Constitution should take a back-step to it.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

What a ridiculous statement. One man's "common sense" is another man's idiocy.

See 2A. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Common sense: "shall not be infringed"
Idiocy: 10,000+ infringement laws on the books, because it's a "gun" thing
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:

Here's a hint for you: Once a military man retires, guess what he becomes?
Spoiler: show
a civilian
:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

AZGrizFan wrote:Here's a hint for you: Once a military man retires, guess what he becomes?
a civilian
You can't take the bias out though; it's obviously a significant experience in someone's life. Terminology aside, I want people with zero military experience to oversee it.

And don't take me wrong, this is also for the military's protection. Experience-bias runs both ways; I've known veterans who have nothing but anger and hate for the armed forces. You don't want to inadvertently get someone like that running the whole thing.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:Here's a hint for you: Once a military man retires, guess what he becomes?
a civilian
You can't take the bias out though; it's obviously a significant experience in someone's life. Terminology aside, I want people with zero military experience to oversee it.

And don't take me wrong, this is also for the military's protection. Experience-bias runs both ways; I've known veterans who have nothing but anger and hate for the armed forces. You don't want to inadvertently get someone like that running the whole thing.
Next thing ya know we’re going to have public school haters running the Dept of Education and oil industry lackeys heading up the EPA!
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

kalm wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: You can't take the bias out though; it's obviously a significant experience in someone's life. Terminology aside, I want people with zero military experience to oversee it.

Next thing ya know we’re going to have public school haters running the Dept of Education and oil industry lackeys heading up the EPA!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:
a civilian

This is probably the dumbest thing you've said. Trip - why would you want someone with zero experience running something like the DOD? It's more than paper pushing (and yes, the policy wonks are at the sub-cabinet level and blah blah blah) but you want your top person to have some experience in the field. You need to have someone that understand the military/education/energy/hospital administration, etc... to run those departments. :twocents: You know what happens when we have someone running an agency or department that has ZERO qualifications?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_D._Brown. A "lawyer" that ran a municipal power authority and an Arabian Horse Association. Yeah - that's the perfect pick to head a national emergency response agency.

You must be really happy with Trumps cabinet picks.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

kalm wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: You can't take the bias out though; it's obviously a significant experience in someone's life. Terminology aside, I want people with zero military experience to oversee it.

They are all doing a "heck of a job!" :thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Ideally for DoD, you want somebody with some military experience, so their Generals and Commander in Chief don’t take advantage of their naivety. Take McNamara: a brilliant mind and balls the size of #9 bird shot. He was basically between LBJ and Westmoreland tapdancing and saying, “uh, yessah massah, whatever you need massah” for years and we just kept digging a deeper hole.

You also want somebody (if they exist) completely free of ties to defense contractors.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

93henfan wrote:Ideally for DoD, you want somebody with some military experience, so their Generals and Commander in Chief don’t take advantage of their naivety. Take McNamara: a brilliant mind and balls the size of #9 bird shot. He was basically between LBJ and Westmoreland tapdancing and saying, “uh, yessah massah, whatever you need massah” for years and we just kept digging a deeper hole.

You also want somebody (if they exist) completely free of ties to defense contractors.
I can accept this argument.
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
93henfan wrote:Ideally for DoD, you want somebody with some military experience, so their Generals and Commander in Chief don’t take advantage of their naivety. Take McNamara: a brilliant mind and balls the size of #9 bird shot. He was basically between LBJ and Westmoreland tapdancing and saying, “uh, yessah massah, whatever you need massah” for years and we just kept digging a deeper hole.

I can accept this argument.
By the way, McNamara did serve a brief stint in the Army Air Forces providing systems analysis for the B-29 program. No combat or command experience. Just a really smart program management type.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

∞∞∞ wrote:
a civilian

Then perhaps we shouldn't have politicians running the government? You know...experience bias and all that...
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

AZGrizFan wrote:

Then perhaps we shouldn't have politicians running the government? You know...experience bias and all that...
In that case - does experience matter at all? Why not pull some fry cooks from Burger King and have them doing missile watch at NORAD. :coffee:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

Ibanez wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
In that case - does experience matter at all? Why not pull some fry cooks from Burger King and have them doing missile watch at NORAD. :coffee:
Great idea. :coffee: :thumb: