Political discussions
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: The Ukraine Crisis

Post by UNI88 »

BDKJMU wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:24 pm
UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm George Will Scorches GOP’s Anti-Ukraine Wing With A Chilling Thought

George Will is a true conservative.
One who doesn’t care about the debt or deficit spending..
I must have missed where I typed FISCAL before conservative.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:07 pm George Will Scorches GOP’s Anti-Ukraine Wing With A Chilling Thought

George Will is a true conservative.
"Deficits don't matter" VP Dick Cheney
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:11 am
Like I said, 100% of donks, and 60%-80% of conks don’t care. I wouldn’t care either if I was confident (I’m not) that the bubble burst come until at least the mid 2050s after I figure I’m long gone.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:40 pm
houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:11 am

Like I said, 100% of donks, and 60%-80% of conks don’t care. I wouldn’t care either if I was confident (I’m not) that the bubble burst come until at least the mid 2050s after I figure I’m long gone.
thank you for sharing
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: DELAWARE

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am
Caribbean Hen wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:07 am

Hey, I like Ringo but let’s not go crazy here
Guess who got the most fan mail when they broke out in the US. :nod:

The Beatles problem early on was the drumming. The cliche is true: A good band with an average drummer is an average band, an average band with a good drummer is a good band. Ringo's drumming has been bad-mouthed for decades by people that don't know shit about music. The reason George Martin hired him is because he was the best drummer in England at the time. Listen to the drums in "Rain", and listen to "I saw Her Standing There". Ringo rocks and in every sense but songwriting he is at least their musical equal. I put him up there with Richie Hayward, (Little Feat)- and Al Jackson Jr.,(Booker T and the MGs). I like him better than Neal Peart, both of them are flawless technicians with impeccable timing. The difference? Ringo swings - Neal wouldn't swing if you hung him.
And when Ringo couldn’t make the recording session, McCartney picked up the drumsticks, and filled right in without even practicing… White Album
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:30 am
houndawg wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:24 am

Guess who got the most fan mail when they broke out in the US. :nod:

The Beatles problem early on was the drumming. The cliche is true: A good band with an average drummer is an average band, an average band with a good drummer is a good band. Ringo's drumming has been bad-mouthed for decades by people that don't know shit about music. The reason George Martin hired him is because he was the best drummer in England at the time. Listen to the drums in "Rain", and listen to "I saw Her Standing There". Ringo rocks and in every sense but songwriting he is at least their musical equal. I put him up there with Richie Hayward, (Little Feat)- and Al Jackson Jr.,(Booker T and the MGs). I like him better than Neal Peart, both of them are flawless technicians with impeccable timing. The difference? Ringo swings - Neal wouldn't swing if you hung him.
And when Ringo couldn’t make the recording session, McCartney picked up the drumsticks, and filled right in without even practicing… White Album
Like I said, Sir Paul was the best musician in the band - but he wasn't the best drummer in the band by a long ways nor was White Album the first time he ever played drums. Listen to "Back in the USSR" recorded when Ringo had quit the band - Paul on drums. Now listen to Ringo on the other two songs I mentioned. Paul can play drums and play them well, but as you can plainly hear, he ain't no Ringo Starr. Ringo's drumming was at least at the technical level of Paul's bass or George's lead guitar - at least. Thats why when they talked him into returning he walked into the studio and couldn't see his trap set through all the flowers covering it. The Beatles absolutely knew what they had.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:38 pm

Like I said, Sir Paul was the best musician in the band - but he wasn't the best drummer in the band by a long ways nor was White Album the first time he ever played drums. Listen to "Back in the USSR" recorded when Ringo had quit the band - Paul on drums. Now listen to Ringo on the other two songs I mentioned. Paul can play drums and play them well, but as you can plainly hear, he ain't no Ringo Starr. Ringo's drumming was at least at the technical level of Paul's bass or George's lead guitar - at least. Thats why when they talked him into returning he walked into the studio and couldn't see his trap set through all the flowers covering it. The Beatles absolutely knew what they had.
Nobody is arguing with you on Ringo my dear

I never saw him playing bass guitar
I never saw him play acoustic guitar

And the only time they let him sing was on a cartoon song

But yea Ringo was bad azz Drummer
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:09 pm

No, Ringo is a badazz drummer.
Caribbean Hen
Level2
Level2

Post by Caribbean Hen »

Ringo gets it

In a video interview released along with the cover story, the drummer also sung his praises of McCartney’s work ethic and credited him for the amount of celebrated output that The Beatles released during their time as a group from 1962 to 1970. “Paul loved to work more than all of us,” he shared in the clip. “John and I would be, like, hanging out in the garden and the phone would ring and we knew it was him.”

“‘Hey lads, should we go into the studio?” ‘Alright, yeah,’” he continued, making an impression of the interaction. “I’ve always thanked him for being that guy because otherwise we’d have put, like, three albums out and vanished.”
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

It’s still quite shocking how some members of the GOP and especially MAGA, support Russia and embrace authoritarianism over democracy.
MOSCOW — As Vladimir Putin persists in his bloody campaign to conquer Ukraine, the Russian leader is directing an equally momentous transformation at home — re-engineering his country into a regressive, militarized society that views the West as its mortal enemy.

Putin’s inauguration on Tuesday for a fifth term will not only mark his 25-year-long grip on power but also showcase Russia’s shift into what pro-Kremlin commentators call a “revolutionary power,” set on upending the global order, making its own rules, and demanding that totalitarian autocracy be respected as a legitimate alternative to democracy in a world redivided by big powers into spheres of influence.

“Russia, Remastered” examines how Vladimir Putin, stoking conflict with the West and risking a new world war, is harnessing his invasion of Ukraine to transform Russia and fulfill his revanchist vision of a restored superpower.

“Russians live in a wholly new reality,” Dmitri Trenin, a pro-Kremlin analyst, wrote in reply to questions about an essay in which he argued that Russia’s anti-Western shift was “more radical and far-reaching” than anything anticipated when Putin invaded Ukraine but also “a relatively minor element of the wider transformation which is going on in Russia’s economy, polity, society, culture, values, and spiritual and intellectual life.”

In “Russia, Remastered,” The Washington Post documents the historic scale of the changes Putin is carrying out and has accelerated with breathtaking speed during two years of brutal war even as tens of thousands of Russians have fled abroad. It is a crusade that gives Putin common cause with China’s Xi Jinping as well as some supporters of former president Donald Trump. And it raises the prospect of an enduring civilizational conflict to subvert Western democracy and — Putin has warned — even threatens a new world war.

To carry out this transformation, the Kremlin is:
Forging an ultraconservative, puritanical society mobilized against liberal freedoms and especially hostile to gay and transgender people, in which family policy and social welfare spending boost traditional Orthodox values.

Reshaping education at all levels to indoctrinate a new generation of turbo-patriot youth, with textbooks rewritten to reflect Kremlin propaganda, patriotic curriculums set by the state and, from September, compulsory military lessons taught by soldiers called “Basics of Security and Protection of the Motherland,” which will include training on handling Kalashnikov assault rifles, grenades and drones.

Sterilizing cultural life with blacklists of liberal or antiwar performers, directors, writers and artists, and with new nationalistic mandates for museums and filmmakers.
Mobilizing zealous pro-war activism under the brutal Z symbol, which was initially painted on the side of Russian tanks invading Ukraine but has since spread to government buildings, posters, schools and orchestrated demonstrations.
Rolling back women’s rights with a torrent of propaganda about the need to give birth — young and often — and by curbing ease of access to abortions, and charging feminist activists and liberal female journalists with terrorism, extremism, discrediting the military and other offenses.

Rewriting history to celebrate Joseph Stalin, the Soviet dictator who sent millions to the gulag, through at least 95 of the 110 monuments in Russia erected during Putin’s time as leader. Meanwhile, Memorial, a human rights group that exposed Stalin’s crimes and shared the 2022 Nobel Peace Prize, was shut down and its pacificist co-chairman Oleg Orlov, 71, jailed.

Accusing scientists of treason; equating criticism of the war or of Putin with terrorism or extremism; and building a new, militarized elite of “warriors and workers” willing to take up arms, redraw international boundaries and violate global norms on orders of Russia’s strongman ruler.

“They’re trying to develop this scientific Putinism as a basis of propaganda, as a basis of ideology, as a basis of historical education,” said Andrei Kolesnikov, a senior fellow at the Carnegie Russia Eurasia Center. “They need an obedient new generation — indoctrinated robots in an ideological sense — supporting Putin, supporting his ideas, supporting this militarization of consciousness.”

Kolesnikov, speaking in an interview in Moscow, added: “They need cannon fodder for the future.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/in ... servatism/
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:12 am It’s still quite shocking how some members of the GOP and especially MAGA, support Russia and embrace authoritarianism over democracy.
It’s really not shocking how some members of the Democrat party support Hamas and embrace terrorism and authoritarian theocracy over democracy.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:27 am
kalm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 5:12 am It’s still quite shocking how some members of the GOP and especially MAGA, support Russia and embrace authoritarianism over democracy.
It’s really not shocking how some members of the Democrat party support Hamas and embrace terrorism and authoritarian theocracy over democracy.
This must be really hard for you. :lol: A few idiotic college kids may show support for Hamas at peace rallies. That’s it. No one on the left supports Islamic fundamentalism. They just don’t like the killing of innocents.

And It’s not as if a former (or current) president and large swaths of the house plus a few senators are sniffing the jocks of Putin and Islamic theocrats.

That would be Jared and Team Trump.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am

This must be really hard for you. :lol: A few idiotic college kids may show support for Hamas at peace rallies. That’s it. No one on the left supports Islamic fundamentalism. They just don’t like the killing of innocents.

And It’s not as if a former (or current) president and large swaths of the house plus a few senators are sniffing the jocks of Putin and Islamic theocrats.

A few?
And no one?
:suspicious: :shock: :dunce: :lol: :rofl:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:44 am

A few?
And no one?
:suspicious: :shock: :dunce: :lol: :rofl:
So you think all of the protest attendees are pro-Hamas? Or even a significant minority of them?

And yes…no one. The left doesn’t care all that much for patriarchy, sexual oppression, etc.

Like I said…this all must be terribly difficult and confusing for you. I tried to warn you about using the dunce emoji long ago…

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

And half of the House Republicans.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

I think there are people on the left who foolishly support Islamic fundamentalism. There are pseudo-progressives who support anything that they believe opposes white, western colonialism and Islamic fundamentalism checks all of those boxes. They do this despite the reality that Islamic fundamentalism is a greater threat to causes they purport to hold dear (peace, equality, etc.) than the vestiges of white, western colonialism.

If you support hamas, you support Islamic fundamentalism. Attempting to justify the actions of October 7 is supporting Islamic fundamentalism.

trump is a tin-pot, banana republic dictator wannabe. That's why he sucks up to putin, kim jong un and the like.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:06 am

I think there are people on the left who foolishly support Islamic fundamentalism. There are pseudo-progressives who support anything that they believe opposes white, western colonialism and Islamic fundamentalism checks all of those boxes. They do this despite the reality that Islamic fundamentalism is a greater threat to causes they purport to hold dear (peace, equality, etc.) than the vestiges of white, western colonialism.

If you support hamas, you support Islamic fundamentalism. Attempting to justify the actions of October 7 is supporting Islamic fundamentalism.

trump is a tin-pot, banana republic dictator wannabe. That's why he sucks up to putin, kim jong un and the like.
I’m sure there are a few. Their numbers are small and insignificant to American political power and foreign policy.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:12 am
UNI88 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:06 am

I’m sure there are a few. Their numbers are small and insignificant to American political power and foreign policy.
I don't believe the left supports Islamic fundamentalism. As UNI said, sometimes people are so strident and enthusiastic in their resistance to anything possibly White or Western that they'll actually say they're pro-Hamas or pro-Intifada, but I think those who do that are just more interested in seeming to be counter-culture than actually understanding what they are supporting when they say they are "pro" those things. I do believe that the US government, through its foreign policy, especially under Obama and then under Biden, has been way too optimistic with regards to Iran and turning them into a respectable member of the club of civilized nations. Our naivete in those two administrations have simply just opened Iran up to new sources of income, which they just continue to funnel into affiliate groups like Hamas to continue to destabilize the region through perpetual warfare. We had learned that after the Obama administration, but in Biden's fanatical pursuit to just be the opposite of Trump we didn't really think it through what we were doing. That, unfortunately, is a hallmark of American foreign policy for the last 60 years.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am No one on the left supports Islamic fundamentalism.
UNI88 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:06 am I think there are people on the left who foolishly support Islamic fundamentalism. There are pseudo-progressives who support anything that they believe opposes white, western colonialism and Islamic fundamentalism checks all of those boxes. They do this despite the reality that Islamic fundamentalism is a greater threat to causes they purport to hold dear (peace, equality, etc.) than the vestiges of white, western colonialism.

I’m sure there are a few.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Russia warns Britain it could strike back after Cameron remark on Ukraine
Russia warned Britain on Monday that if British weapons were used by Ukraine to strike Russian territory then Moscow could hit back at British military installations and equipment both inside Ukraine and elsewhere.
By this logic, Ukraine would be justified in attacking (sabotaging) iran and north korea.
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

UNI88 wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 4:55 pm Russia warns Britain it could strike back after Cameron remark on Ukraine
Russia warned Britain on Monday that if British weapons were used by Ukraine to strike Russian territory then Moscow could hit back at British military installations and equipment both inside Ukraine and elsewhere.
By this logic, Ukraine would be justified in attacking (sabotaging) iran and north korea.
NATO could clear Ukraine in 30 days.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 2:27 pm
kalm wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 7:38 am No one on the left supports Islamic fundamentalism.

I’m sure there are a few.
Meh. I changed my mind a little. :coffee:

So you’ll agree there’s insignificant support. Cool. :)
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:21 am

I don't believe the left supports Islamic fundamentalism. As UNI said, sometimes people are so strident and enthusiastic in their resistance to anything possibly White or Western that they'll actually say they're pro-Hamas or pro-Intifada, but I think those who do that are just more interested in seeming to be counter-culture than actually understanding what they are supporting when they say they are "pro" those things. I do believe that the US government, through its foreign policy, especially under Obama and then under Biden, has been way too optimistic with regards to Iran and turning them into a respectable member of the club of civilized nations. Our naivete in those two administrations have simply just opened Iran up to new sources of income, which they just continue to funnel into affiliate groups like Hamas to continue to destabilize the region through perpetual warfare. We had learned that after the Obama administration, but in Biden's fanatical pursuit to just be the opposite of Trump we didn't really think it through what we were doing. That, unfortunately, is a hallmark of American foreign policy for the last 60 years.
We wouldn't need to be in the mid-east at all if we used our oil here first
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

houndawg wrote: Wed May 08, 2024 7:46 am
GannonFan wrote: Tue May 07, 2024 10:21 am

We wouldn't need to be in the mid-east at all if we used our oil here first
Well, other people would still use it and it would still impact the global market for oil. And people do have things called planes and other modes of transportation so it's not like we can physically contain and isolate the Middle East from interacting with the rest of the world. And besides, fracking is bad, using our oil is bad, etc.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation