Political discussions
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack
I am a fan of: Hodgdon
A.K.A.: Random Mailer

Schools are insane

Post by grizzaholic »

http://boston.cbslocal.com/2013/10/13/n ... rom-party/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Two weeks ago, Erin received a call from a friend at a party who was too drunk to drive. Erin drove to Boxford after work to pick up her friend.

A North Andover High School honor student, Erin was cleared by police, who agreed she had not been drinking and was not in possession of alcohol. But Andover High told Erin she was in violation of the district’s zero tolerance policy against alcohol and drug use. In the middle of her senior year, Erin was demoted from captain of the volleyball team and told she would be suspended from playing for five games.

What the fuck is wrong in Boston?
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Schools are insane

Post by Ibanez »

So a student makes the decision to NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, has a friend come pick her up and the friend gets punished? Yeah, way to to Boston. Way to think it through.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Once again...

Zero Tolerance = Zero Common Sense. :ohno:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Well, the part of the story you left out was that she was at the party when the cops busted it. So even though she hadn't been drinking, she was technically at a party where underage alcohol consumption was being done and she got caught there by the cops. If anything, blame the cops for detaining her and making a public record of it. The school wouldn't have done anything if the cops hadn't picked her up for being at the party.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

Ibanez wrote:So a student makes the decision to NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, has a friend come pick her up and the friend gets punished? Yeah, way to to Boston. Way to think it through.
THIS.

The whole school board needs to get removed.
"What I'm saying is: You might have taken care of your wolf problem, but everyone around town is going to think of you as the crazy son of a bitch who bought land mines to get rid of wolves."

Justin Halpern
Cap'n Cat
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Mostly myself.
A.K.A.: LabiaInTheSunlight

Post by Cap'n Cat »

grizzaholic wrote:
Ibanez wrote:So a student makes the decision to NOT DRINK AND DRIVE, has a friend come pick her up and the friend gets punished? Yeah, way to to Boston. Way to think it through.
THIS.

The whole school board needs to get removed.
Read GannyFanny's post, Chumley. The good schools don't want you around that shit.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

GannonFan wrote:Well, the part of the story you left out was that she was at the party when the cops busted it. So even though she hadn't been drinking, she was technically at a party where underage alcohol consumption was being done and she got caught there by the cops. If anything, blame the cops for detaining her and making a public record of it. The school wouldn't have done anything if the cops hadn't picked her up for being at the party.
It's still a hella stupid "zero tolerance" policy. The police even admitted she was sober and could verify that her friend had called her.

You know how a lot in sex ed is justified by "teens will fvck anyway"? Apparently a lot of the same liberal school systems think teen drinking is stoppable.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

GannonFan wrote:Well, the part of the story you left out was that she was at the party when the cops busted it. So even though she hadn't been drinking, she was technically at a party where underage alcohol consumption was being done and she got caught there by the cops. If anything, blame the cops for detaining her and making a public record of it. The school wouldn't have done anything if the cops hadn't picked her up for being at the party.
Apparently the responsible thing to have done was to tell her friend to GFY and let them drive home drunk according to the school.
MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
grizzaholic
One Man Wolfpack
One Man Wolfpack

Post by grizzaholic »

DSUrocks07 wrote:
Apparently the responsible thing to have done was to tell her friend to GFY and let them drive home drunk according to the school.
DSU???? I liked your sig, why did you change it?

Justin Halpern
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DSUrocks07 »

grizzaholic wrote:
DSUrocks07 wrote:
DSU???? I liked your sig, why did you change it?
I'll switch it back in a couple days, thought that this was funny, loved Chappelles Show

@phillywild305 FB
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

DSUrocks07 wrote:
Hey, I think it's a great thing - kids who are at a party just have to make sure there's no alcohol on their breath and that they don't fail a breathalizer, and they can just tell the cops they weren't there to party but simply to drive a drunk friend home. Think of all the kids who've been busted at parties who can now try to use that defense to avoid the cops detaining them.

And in this case, it sounds like the drunk girl was going to be driven home anyway - the cops obviously brought her in and I'm sure her parents came to get her out of jail.

I'm not saying that the girl in question, the non-drunk one, didn't do the right thing - of course she did. But I'm pretty sure the school isn't going to be able to verify every story of a student who gets busted by the cops to within enough degree to make the right call every time. Again, I question why no one is berating the cops for pciking this girl up and detaining her in the first place - why aren't we questioning them for their over-zealous, quote-driven need to bring in as many underage kids from a party as possible? If they don't do this, the girl never gets suspended.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

She walking in the front door of a party - thus - She was at the party
All she had to do was wait our front in her car

Zero Tolerance / She knew what she was doing
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Chizzang wrote:She walking in the front door of a party - thus - She was at the party

This. She was probably at the party because her friend called her to come over and blow some football players.

Just as likely a story as she was there to pick up a drunk friend.

She was there. She could've waited outside.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Pwns wrote:Once again...

She was on Ritalin, which is okay. :roll:

Just kidding about her being on Ritalin, but the whole prescription drug issue has always been ignored.
Everything is better with SeattleGriz
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

As a school board member every time I read a story like this or about some school punishing a kid for chewing a pop tart into the shape of a gun I am thankful that all of our school administrators have brains and common sense.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
YoUDeeMan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Fleecing the Stupid
A.K.A.: Delaware Homie

Post by YoUDeeMan »

danefan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:She walking in the front door of a party - thus - She was at the party

This. She was probably at the party because her friend called her to come over and blow some football players.

Just as likely a story as she was there to pick up a drunk friend.

She was there. She could've waited outside.
BEST ANSWER. :nod:
These signatures have a 500 character limit?

What if I have more personalities than that?
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Just like mandatory minimum sentencing. Take the thinking and judgement out of it and get stupider. :ohno:
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter

Post by DSUrocks07 »

This is like charging someone with robbing a bank simply because they were inside the bank when it occurred.

"Welp, we have here a zero tolerance policy on bank robberies in good ol' Hazzard County. You boys should have used that there ATM outside."

@phillywild305 FB
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

kalm wrote:

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

Just like mandatory minimum sentencing. Take the thinking and judgement out of it and get stupider. :ohno:
:nod:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

DSUrocks07 wrote:

This is like charging someone with robbing a bank simply because they were inside the bank when it occurred.

"Welp, we have here a zero tolerance policy on bank robberies in good ol' Hazzard County. You boys should have used that there ATM outside."
It's no where near the same thing.

People in a bank robbery are victims.
People hanging out at a party are far from victims.

Apples and razor blades.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

"Progressives" :lol:

:ohno:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Baldy wrote:"Progressives" :lol:

:ohno:
There's soooo many dry counties in progressive states. Conks banned dancing cuz it could lead to drinking. :ohno:
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter

Post by HI54UNI »

Any administrator that writes policies so tight to not allow administrative discretion shouldn't be allowed to be around kids. And boards that approve those policies should be voted out.

People don't want kids to drink as minors but we should punish kids that choose not to drink? If that is the case they might as well drink. It could very well be that this girl got to the party a minute before the cops and didn't have time to drink her first beer yet so she blew a zero on the breath test. Lucky for her if that is the case. But maybe she was really was there to give her friend a ride home. What if a group of kids are at a dry party and a bunch of beer drinkers show up followed shortly by the cops? Should they all be busted for drinking?

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
GrizFanStuckInUtah
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by GrizFanStuckInUtah »

Common sense sure isn't very common these days. If the kid wasn't drinking, which by all accounts appears to be the case, the school is wrong. I get the zero tolerance, that way you don't have to get involved or give a shit about anything. You can have robots do this kind of judgement. I will tell you right now, my kids would get their hides tanned for underage drinking but they would not get in trouble for helping a friend get home safely. Being at a party with drinking does not equal underage drinking IMHO.
-Go Griz!
-Class of '97
-Thank you to all our Veterans. :bow:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GrizFanStuckInUtah wrote:Common sense sure isn't very common these days. If the kid wasn't drinking, which by all accounts appears to be the case, the school is wrong. I get the zero tolerance, that way you don't have to get involved or give a shit about anything. You can have robots do this kind of judgement. I will tell you right now, my kids would get their hides tanned for underage drinking but they would not get in trouble for helping a friend get home safely. Being at a party with drinking does not equal underage drinking IMHO.
:nod: