Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: DOJ Memo on Marijuana Use

Post by Ibanez »

D1B wrote:
89Hen wrote: I accept your surrender. When you have to smoke pot to understand your arguements, I've won. See you on the next thread. :thumb:
All home and craft brews taste like shit and give everyone Cholera after they drink it.
That happened once. :oops: :tothehand:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... ostpopular" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Article on the number of pot overdoses each year
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Post by D1B »

Ibanez wrote:http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/0 ... ostpopular

Hen to counter with - "So because people don't die, its safe. :suspicious: " in 3....2....1.....
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

D1B wrote:

Hen to counter with - "So because people don't die, its safe. :suspicious: " in 3....2....1.....

:rofl: What about that other dude on here who was debating one beer vs. one joint
More accurately would be:
One Bottle of Whisky vs. one Joint
have a person consume one of each and see who's more functional
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

D1B wrote:

Pretty much. I've never heard of anyone die of a nicotine overdose. Guess cigarettes are OK afterall. :thumb:
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

89Hen wrote:
D1B wrote:

Pretty much. I've never heard of anyone die of a nicotine overdose. Guess cigarettes are OK afterall. :thumb:
:dunce:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

D1B wrote:
89Hen wrote: Pretty much. I've never heard of anyone die of a nicotine overdose. Guess cigarettes are OK afterall. :thumb:
:dunce:
Agreed. Trying to say that it's only dangerous if you die is ridiculous.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
D1B wrote:

Who's argued it's "safe"?

When are you going to lead the charge to make steak and high fructose corn syrup illegal?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Pretty much. I've never heard of anyone die of a nicotine overdose. Guess cigarettes are OK afterall. :thumb:

When are you going to lead the charge to make steak and high fructose corn syrup illegal?
DB1 used the word "safe", not me.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

Sorry.

Safe is a relative term. For instance, when compared to alcohol, weed is relatively safe.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: DB1 used the word "safe", not me.
Sorry.

Safe is a relative term. For instance, when compared to alcohol, weed is relatively safe.
If safe is a relative term, wouldn't relatively safe be redundant? ;)

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nati ... s/1751011/
THC, the active ingredient in marijuana, "hijacks and corrupts" the natural process of endocannabinoids, a key family of chemicals that help guide the brain in proper maturation, says Ruben Baler, a neuroscientist with the National Institute on Drug Abuse (NIDA). These chemicals "play key roles in memory formation, learning, decision-making,"

The concern, especially for young people, "is that you're performing suboptimally during those years when you should be working at peak levels of performance," he says. And with day-after-day use, the drug has a cumulative effect on achievement. Studies show that when marijuana is used chronically, "people achieve lower in academics, job performance and life satisfaction," says Baler. "It's difficult to understand why kids working so hard on their education would engage in an act that would lower their chance of success."

And, yes, marijuana is addictive, adds Baler. According to the NIDA, about nine percent of people who use marijuana become dependent on it. The number increases to about 1 in 6 among those who start using it at a young age, and to 25% to 50% among daily users.
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

Splitting hairs, 89kidsfuckedinmychurch. :ohno: :dunce:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

D1B wrote:
89Hen wrote: DB1 used the word "safe", not me.
Splitting hairs
You certainly don't like having words put in your mouth. Kalm realized he misquoted. No biggie. :kisswink:
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

89Hen wrote:
D1B wrote:
Splitting hairs
You certainly don't like having words put in your mouth. Kalm realized he misquoted. No biggie. :kisswink:
Did you see this campaign? Pretty savvy, IMO. :nod: Stoners are smart.

Game on.

One day before the NFL season opener between the Denver Broncos and the Baltimore Ravens, a pro-marijuana group has erected a billboard in front of Sports Authority Field at Mile High urging the league to reconsider its harsh rules barring players from smoking pot.

The 48-foot-wide billboard tells the NFL to “stop driving players to drink,” while noting that voters in Colorado and Washington have legalized the recreational use of marijuana. "A safer choice is now legal (here),” the billboard states.

Mason Tvert :lol: , director of communications for the Marijuana Policy Project, says the group has also launched a Change.org petition to try and convince NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell to update the league’s policy.

"For years, the NFL has been punishing players for using marijuana despite the fact that it is far less harmful than alcohol, a substance widely embraced by the league," Tvert said in a statement. "The league would never punish a player simply for having a couple beers, so why does it penalize them for using a substance that is less toxic, less addictive, and less likely to contribute to violence. :nod:

"The NFL's harsh marijuana penalties do nothing to promote the health and safety of the players," Tvert said. "If anything, they put players in danger by steering them toward using alcohol and away from making the safer choice to use marijuana instead. We hope Commissioner Goodell will explain why the NFL is willing to promote the use of alcohol among its players and fans, but unwilling to recognize that a safer alternative is now legal here."

Shortly after Colorado and Washington legalized the recreational use of marijuana for adults, the NFL issued a statement making clear that the league did not plan to soften its stance against the drug.

"The NFL's policy is collectively bargained and will continue to apply in the same manner it has for decades," NFL spokesman Greg Aiello told USA Today last November. "Marijuana remains prohibited under the NFL substance abuse program."

The Marijuana Policy Project has taken to using billboards and signage at sporting and community events to push its message that pot is safer than alcohol. In July, a pro-marijuana ad produced by the group that was slated to coincide with NASCAR's Brickyard 400 was pulled from a Jumbotron after officials received complaints from the Drug Free America Foundation. Another billboard promoting marijuana as a safer choice than alcohol was vandalized at the start of Oregon's Beer and Wine Festival. :lol:

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/nationa ... z2e3ike6dN" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

"For years, the NFL has been punishing players for using marijuana despite the fact that it is far less harmful than alcohol, a substance widely embraced by the league," Tvert said in a statement. "The league would never punish a player simply for having a couple beers, so why does it penalize them for using a substance that is less toxic, less addictive, and less likely to contribute to violence. :nod:
Going out on a limb here to say... because it was illegal? :?
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

89Hen wrote:
Going out on a limb here to say... because it was illegal? :?
Hen try to read and comprehend the whole story, versus just focusing on one paragraph. Grab a pad of paper and take notes if you have to. Identify the key idea or premise then identify supporting arguments, facts and statements.

Keep trying. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

D1B wrote:
89Hen wrote: Going out on a limb here to say... because it was illegal? :?
Hen try to read and comprehend the whole story, versus just focusing on one paragraph. Grab a pad of paper and take notes if you have to. Identify the key idea or premise then identify supporting arguments, facts and statements.

As Kalm said before... you're making this too hard. I understand what the people who paid for the billboard were going for, but to actually ask the question of why the NFL would punish players who break the law vs not breaking the law is stupid. You can't honestly debate that.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
D1B wrote:

As Kalm said before... you're making this too hard. I understand what the people who paid for the billboard were going for, but to actually ask the question of why the NFL would punish players who break the law vs not breaking the law is stupid. You can't honestly debate that.
Do they punish players for speeding tickets?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: As Kalm said before... you're making this too hard. I understand what the people who paid for the billboard were going for, but to actually ask the question of why the NFL would punish players who break the law vs not breaking the law is stupid. You can't honestly debate that.
:roll: Nice try.
The NFL has pushed for a mandatory suspension for any player who is convicted of an alcohol-related driving offense. An NFLPA source told FOX Sports that “players have been open to discussions and already discussed increasing discipline on DUIs.”
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

89Hen wrote:
D1B wrote:

Yes, I would agree if the billboard was in Texas.

But the billboard is in Colorado, where pot is legal. They're specifically targeting the Denver Broncos - to make a point. Brilliant move, IMO.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
The NFL has pushed for a mandatory suspension for any player who is convicted of an alcohol-related driving offense. An NFLPA source told FOX Sports that “players have been open to discussions and already discussed increasing discipline on DUIs.”
Nice dodge. :jack:

I mentioned "speeding tickets" not DUI's. Speeding is a serious public safety issue which causes tons of injuries, damage to property, and deaths every year. Pot usage? Not so much. Possession of enough pot to last a casual user months is a misdemeanor...just like speeding is. But speeding is way more immoral. :coffee:
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
You missed the point again.

Next time you go to the U of Delaware , kick the president in the balls.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

D1B wrote:
89Hen wrote: As Kalm said before... you're making this too hard. I understand what the people who paid for the billboard were going for, but to actually ask the question of why the NFL would punish players who break the law vs not breaking the law is stupid. You can't honestly debate that.
Yes, I would agree if the billboard was in Texas.

But the billboard is in Colorado, where pot is legal. They're specifically targeting the Denver Broncos - to make a point. Brilliant move, IMO.
I don't disagree it was smart, but that doesn't change the fact that the NFL "for years" punished illegal activity vs legal activity. The idiocy of the author questioning that is lost on you.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: :roll: Nice try.

I mentioned "speeding tickets" not DUI's. Speeding is a serious public safety issue which causes tons of injuries, damage to property, and deaths every year. Pot usage? Not so much. Possession of enough pot to last a casual user months is a misdemeanor...just like speeding is. But speeding is way more immoral. :coffee:
No dodge. A speeding ticket is a motor vehicle offense, not a crime. DUI is a crime. Pot possession and use is a crime. Your analogy missed.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

No dodge. A speeding ticket is a motor vehicle offense, not a crime. DUI is a crime. Pot possession and use is a crime. Your analogy missed.
But speeding is generally much more dangerous (to oneself and others) than sitting on the couch smoking a joint. Can you really not see the distinction between the two, regardless of legality, or are you just being your usual obstinate self?