Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Re: DOJ Memo on Marijuana Use

Post by JohnStOnge »

kalm wrote:
Or you can just not drive while high.

:coffee:
While I haven't done it for a very long time I think driving while high on pot and listening to music is a great experience. I also think the risk associated with it is very low. Is driving while high characterized by more risk than driving while not high? Yes. But is it a high risk? No.

I think our culture is way too obsessed with risk reduction. There's also such a thing as allowing people to enjoy their lives.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
kalm wrote:
Or you can just not drive while high.

:coffee:
While I haven't done it for a very long time I think driving while high on pot and listening to music is a great experience. I also think the risk associated with it is very low. Is driving while high characterized by more risk than driving while not high? Yes. But is it a high risk? No.

I think our culture is way too obsessed with risk reduction. There's also such a thing as allowing people to enjoy their lives.
There’s also such a thing as allowing dogs to enjoy their lives.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

JohnStOnge wrote:There's also such a thing as allowing people to enjoy their lives.
Unless they're gay.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Ivytalk wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

There’s also such a thing as allowing dogs to enjoy their lives.
#CanineLivesMatter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

Ibanez wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: There’s also such a thing as allowing dogs to enjoy their lives.
#CanineLivesMatter

#whatifyouputpeanutbutteronyourballsandhaveyourdoglickitoffbecauseitsyourdog
#?
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

bandl wrote:
Ibanez wrote:
#CanineLivesMatter

#whatifyouputpeanutbutteronyourballsandhaveyourdoglickitoffbecauseitsyourdog
#?
Dude. More power to you. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamain ... le/2672202
The 25-year study interval identified 1.3 million drivers involved in 882 483 crashes causing 978 328 fatalities. In total, 1369 drivers were involved in fatal crashes after 4:20 pm on April 20 whereas 2453 drivers were in fatal crashes on control days during the same time intervals (corresponding to 7.1 and 6.4 drivers in fatal crashes per hour, respectively). The risk of a fatal crash was significantly higher on April 20 (relative risk, 1.12; 95% CI, 1.05-1.19; P = .001).
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamain ... le/2672202
The 25-year study interval identified 1.3 million drivers involved in 882 483 crashes causing 978 328 fatalities. In total, 1369 drivers were involved in fatal crashes after 4:20 pm on April 20 whereas 2453 drivers were in fatal crashes on control days during the same time intervals (corresponding to 7.1 and 6.4 drivers in fatal crashes per hour, respectively). The risk of a fatal crash was significantly higher on April 20 (relative risk, 1.12; 95% CI, 1.05-1.19; P = .001).
I'm not a pot smoker, but it should be legal and be handled like alcohol. Both aren't good for you in large quantites, both leave the user in a condition where you don't want them driving while under the influence, but put the laws in place to punish those who don't use safely and just make it legal already. To pretend they are substantially different from each other is to be silly. Legalize it, put up regulations to control it, and move on already.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jamain ... le/2672202
What is this? A correlation between 4:20 and crashes? :suspicious:

Btw, as HD pointed out...it’s now called a “Jeff” session.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

GannonFan wrote:
I'm not a pot smoker, but it should be legal and be handled like alcohol. Both aren't good for you in large quantites, both leave the user in a condition where you don't want them driving while under the influence, but put the laws in place to punish those who don't use safely and just make it legal already. To pretend they are substantially different from each other is to be silly. Legalize it, put up regulations to control it, and move on already.
This is where 89 says "who says I think alcohol should be legal?". :lol:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Freedom giveth, and freedom taketh away. It ain't always pretty, but it is what it is. Alcohol is and will be legal. Pot should and will be legal. There's plenty of times I wish people wouldn't drink as much as they do, and there will be plenty of times I wish people wouldn't smoke as much pot as they do, but there is freedom and liberty in this country and part of that means that people can do things I don't necessarily want them to do.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Grizalltheway wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Close, but as you would see if you've actually read my posts over the years, I've never actually said pot shouldn't be legal. I only like to point out that once legal and de-stigmatized, it will become a larger "problem" than it already is and that it's not really a safer option than booze.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: This is where 89 says "who says I think alcohol should be legal?". :lol:
Close, but as you would see if you've actually read my posts over the years, I've never actually said pot shouldn't be legal. I only like to point out that once legal and de-stigmatized, it will become a larger "problem" than it already is and that it's not really a safer option than booze.
Larger "problem" how and compared to what? Usage may go up, especially at first, but is that really a problem? Perhaps it's balanced by all the "problems" caused by illegality and prosecution. Perhaps it's balanced by the medicinal qualities.

What metrics are you using for comparing weed's safety with alcohol? Overdoses? Addiction levels? Violence?

(I feel like we've already educated you on this)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Close, but as you would see if you've actually read my posts over the years, I've never actually said pot shouldn't be legal. I only like to point out that once legal and de-stigmatized, it will become a larger "problem" than it already is and that it's not really a safer option than booze.
Larger "problem" how and compared to what? Usage may go up, especially at first, but is that really a problem? Perhaps it's balanced by all the "problems" caused by illegality and prosecution. Perhaps it's balanced by the medicinal qualities.

What metrics are you using for comparing weed's safety with alcohol? Overdoses? Addiction levels? Violence?

Where did I EVER defend alcohol other than to say it was already legal? Maybe it's too close to home for you to be open to a discussion on this. ;)

Problems... medical issues, teen usage, DUI's, addiction (yes, that will be an issue as the industry evolves), etc...

Your quick reaction to always try to interject alcohol into the discussion is like a pro-choice person always going to rape/incest or welfare.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

Where did I EVER defend alcohol other than to say it was already legal? Maybe it's too close to home for you to be open to a discussion on this. ;)

Problems... medical issues, teen usage, DUI's, addiction (yes, that will be an issue as the industry evolves), etc...

Your quick reaction to always try to interject alcohol into the discussion is like a pro-choice person always going to rape/incest or welfare.
Huh? :?

You should really go back and read your own post... :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: Where did I EVER defend alcohol other than to say it was already legal? Maybe it's too close to home for you to be open to a discussion on this. ;)

"really not safer"... that's what you object to? I don't think it will be over time.

Alcohol is a major problem for many, many people. Did you think I thought differently?

Pot is already a major problem for many people and as it becomes legal in more places, and more socially acceptable across a wider cross section of people, it will be many, many just like alcohol.

Pot can be used medicinally for certain things, but not all things.

With what of the above do you disagree?
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Should a responsible adult be allowed to choose whether or not to smoke marijuana?
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

"really not safer"... that's what you object to? I don't think it will be over time.

Alcohol is a major problem for many, many people. Did you think I thought differently?

Pot is already a major problem for many people and as it becomes legal in more places, and more socially acceptable across a wider cross section of people, it will be many, many just like alcohol.

Again...huh?

I didn’t use the word safer in that response (but yes an argument can be made).

Would you care to walk back your comments on me bringing up booze when it was you who used it in the recent opening salvo?

Agreed with your medicinal statement of course. But you were using broad terms like “problem” and problems can be worth it if there’s a net gain in benefits.

The rest is debatable. An honest view of weed might actually reduce abuse...the whole forbidden tree thing. It remains to be seen but at the very least weed appears to have low addiction and catastrophic health consequences when compared to other drugs.

It’s really not a big deal and way more people have been using it without detrimental effects than you could ever imagine.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Legalizing Marijuana on the west coast was really more of a formality
and capitalization of what was already in place

The unforeseen bonus was marijuana tours from the east coast to Seattle...
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Chizzang wrote:Legalizing Marijuana on the west coast was really more of a formality

Absolutely nailed it. :nod:

I’d guess the average age of customers at the weed shops I’ve been to is around 57. The 89hen’s of the world appear to have no idea how “pervasive” it already was. :lol:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

kalm wrote:
Chizzang wrote:Legalizing Marijuana on the west coast was really more of a formality

I’d guess the average age of customers at the weed shops I’ve been to is around 57. The 89hen’s of the world appear to have no idea how “pervasive” it already was. :lol:
Good luck there...

Put the message in a box
put the box inside a car
drive the car around the world
until you get heard
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

kalm wrote:

When Alex got his medical marijuana card last year, he took an orientation class at the local dispensary. He was the youngest person in the class by 15 years, with median over 70
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Ibanez »

I can’t WAIT for NC, SC, VA or GA to legalize it.

89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Should a responsible adult be allowed to choose whether or not to smoke marijuana?
Possibly. How about cocaine, heroin, meth, etc... a lot of them come from plants too.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: "really not safer"... that's what you object to? I don't think it will be over time.

Again...huh?

I didn’t use the word safer in that response (but yes an argument can be made).

Would you care to walk back your comments on me bringing up booze when it was you who used it in the recent opening salvo?

Agreed with your medicinal statement of course. But you were using broad terms like “problem” and problems can be worth it if there’s a net gain in benefits.

The rest is debatable. An honest view of weed might actually reduce abuse...the whole forbidden tree thing. It remains to be seen but at the very least weed appears to have low addiction and catastrophic health consequences when compared to other drugs.

It’s really not a big deal and way more people have been using it without detrimental effects than you could ever imagine.
1. You seemed to take objection to my use of "really not safer", never said you used the word safer.

2. Weetag brought up alcohol and I responded.

The forbidden tree thing... how did that work out for tobacco and alcohol?