Political discussions
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch
I am a fan of: Morehead State

Re: DOJ Memo on Marijuana Use

Post by D1B »

89Hen wrote:
D1B wrote:Marijuana prevents or cures several cancers, according to the government's own Cancer Institute..... :coffee:
None of the links in the blog actually work. :?

Worked for me. Perhaps you should quit drinking and sober up. :thumb:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

houndawg wrote:
89Hen wrote: Ha. Legal, not illegal. Mea culpa on the typo, but you should have been able to figure out what I was saying.
Tell me where the profit in smuggling comes from when we already grow better stuff inside our borders and making it legal reduces the price. :coffee:
Same place the huge profit in cigarette smuggling currently comes from.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

clenz wrote:
89Hen wrote: Ahhh, now I see the problem some of you are having. You can't have the opinion that pot isn't as safe as some would make it out to be or that legalizing solves all evils without being a Ward Cleaver or watcher of Refer Madness. You probably even think that I picture all people who smoke pot as dreadlocked rastafarian wannabes. :lol:

I was pretty sure we weren't going to agree on this topic, but now it's crystal clear that we won't.
I almost never agree with d, but he **** owned you in this thread.

Seriously though, where is all the money in smuggling legal products? I need to get in on the gold mine that is smuggling shampoo, bud light, and tooth picks

quando omni flunkus moritati
Huge profit in cigarette smuggling, when in $ states once you factor in fed & state excise taxes and sales taxes its over $5 a pack in taxes alone....
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Chizzang wrote:
D1B wrote:

Hen to counter with - "So because people don't die, its safe. :suspicious: " in 3....2....1.....

:rofl: What about that other dude on here who was debating one beer vs. one joint
More accurately would be:
One Bottle of Whisky vs. one Joint
have a person consume one of each and see who's more functional
Who drinks a whole bottle (5th) of whiskey at once? Most people who do would over the course of an entire day. Someone who smoked pot all day would smoke a lot more than one joint.

More like one bottle/5th of whiskey vs 10 joints.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

D1B wrote:
89Hen wrote:BTW, I think this discussion has run it's course because we are down to arguing over minutae on billboards. I think we agree that we don't see eye to eye on the big picture.

You're aguing minutae and not seeing the big picture. :nod:

Your kid needs a ride home from a party. Who would you rather have drive him home?

1. The kid that drank 9 Keystone Lights or
2. The kid who smoked half a hippy stick

*No dodging, you have to choose one.

If Kid A is drinking and drinks 9 Keystone lights thats likely to be over 3-4 hours.
If kid B is smoking over 3-4 hours, he's going to have a lot more than half a hippy stick..More like several.

I wouldn't want either of them driving- equally..
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Tell me where the profit in smuggling comes from when we already grow better stuff inside our borders and making it legal reduces the price. :coffee:
Nope, false comparison. Weed grows anywhere with minimal maintenance and there is no processing other than drying it.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:
D1B wrote:

Your kid needs a ride home from a party. Who would you rather have drive him home?

If Kid A is drinking and drinks 9 Keystone lights thats likely to be over 3-4 hours.
If kid B is smoking over 3-4 hours, he's going to have a lot more than half a hippy stick..More like several.

Wrong again, one joint will keep three or four hippies stoned for 2-3 hours. :nod:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

houndawg wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Nope, false comparison. Weed grows anywhere with minimal maintenance and there is no processing other than drying it.
The primary factor is weed is not extremely addictive like alcohol or cigarettes.
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

Oh, BDPSHIT is a dipshit. :thumb:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

BDKJMU wrote:
D1B wrote:

Yeah, because teens just sit there and nurse their Keystones all night. They'd never shotgun or bong them, EVER! :rofl:
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

BDKJMU wrote:
D1B wrote:

:lol: :dunce:
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

Grizalltheway wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

Yeah, because teens just sit there and nurse their Keystones all night. They'd never shotgun or bong them, EVER! :rofl:
I watched a frat boy (think Hen's son) drink the equivilent of 9 Stones in a 20minute beer pong ass whipping. :nod:
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

Grizalltheway wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:

I said 9 beers in 3-4 hrs, which would be about 2+ to 3 beers an hr.

There were plenty of nights I had in college when I downed around 20 beers in about 6-8 hrs, which would be about 2.5 to 3+ beers an hr.

Sure you might start off with shot gunning or bonging some beers and have 4-5 in the 1st hr, but also have an hr when only had 1-2. 2.5-3 beers an hr avg over the course of a whole night seemed about the norm....
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote:
I said 9 beers in 3-4 hrs, which would be about 2+ to 3 beers an hr.

There were plenty of nights I had in college when I downed around 20 beers in about 6-8 hrs, which would be about 2.5 to 3+ beers an hr.

Sure you might start off with shot gunning or bonging some beers and have 4-5 in the 1st hr, but also have an hr when only had 1-2. 2.5-3 beers an hr avg over the course of a whole night seemed about the norm....
Smoke some of your kids dope and see the difference for yourself. :coffee:
clenz
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by clenz »

9 keystone lights in 3 hours? That's fucking child's play.

Keystone was my, and everyone I hunge out with, beer of choice in college. 10 bucks for 30 stones.

I would fucking beer bong 4 at a time.
Did multiple power hours in one night (6 beers in an hour)
Fucking case raced all the fucking time
During a 6 hour tailgate I could go through a 30 and a half bottle (easily) of Doctor Menthal on my own....plus whatever else I came across

I will promise you...my buddy who didn't drink and only smoked weed didn't even fucking come close to matching "weed for alcohol" with us...and was so much more fucking sober than us it wasn't even funny.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

clenz wrote:9 keystone lights in 3 hours? That's fucking child's play.

Keystone was my, and everyone I hunge out with, beer of choice in college. 10 bucks for 30 stones.

During a 6 hour tailgate I could go through a 30 and a half bottle (easily) of Doctor Menthal on my own....plus whatever else I came across

I will promise you...my buddy who didn't drink and only smoked weed didn't even fucking come close to matching "weed for alcohol" with us...and was so much more fucking sober than us it wasn't even funny.
This.

There's a law of diminishing returns involved with weed, rendering all these comparisons pretty ducking stupid.
D1B
Chris's Bitch
Chris's Bitch

Post by D1B »

clenz wrote:9 keystone lights in 3 hours? That's fucking child's play.

Annnnnd, were done here. NExxxxxxxxxxxxxt.....
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Been 5 years since the marijuana laws were passed in Washington/Colorado. The upsides (as were predicted) have been high. At worst, collision claims seem to have risen ~3%.

http://www.koaa.com/story/36765398/colo ... -marijuana
Colorado - Today, Nov 4 marks five years since Colorado and Washington were the first states in the nation to legalize marijuana. Amendment 64 passed in Colorado in November 2012, legalizing marijuana for adults over the age of 21...

...According to the state the total revenue driven from recreational and medicinal marijuana sales has risen from 2014-2015. Total revenue started at almost 68 million in 2014, but nearly doubled by jumping to over $130 million by 2015.

In 2016 total revenue was over $193 million, so far this year from Jan-Sept total revenue is at almost $182 million. This revenue includes the sales tax on both medical and retail pot, retail excise tax, marijuana application and license fees, and overall sales...

...The report also says more than five percent of high school students use marijuana daily or almost daily. This has been the case since 2005.

In the state one in every four adults ages 18-25 reported marijuana use in the past month. This is a trend that hasn't changed much since the legalization of marijuana five years ago...

...The Department of Public Safety said the total number of marijuana arrests decreased by 46 percent during the early stages of legalization from 2012-2014. Marijuana possession arrests, which make up most marijuana arrests was nearly cut in half.

But, in 2017 the Highway Loss Data Institute, a leading insurance research group, released a study that links increased car crashes to legalized recreational marijuana. The study found collision claims in Colorado, Washington and Oregon went up 2.7 percent in the years since legal pot sales began, compared to surrounding states.
A lot more revenue, a lot less arrests, no change in the percentage of teen/adult users. Seems like the benefits coincide...with every other place in the world that's enacted these laws before.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote: GFY. Your bait has worn out its welcome. 8-)
Nice bump! I couldn't help myself and had to go back and see how much of a beating 89hen was taking... Took me about 30 seconds...
89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

Speeding is illegal.

GFY. Your bait has worn out its welcome. 8-)
:lol:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

∞∞∞ wrote:Been 5 years since the marijuana laws were passed in Washington/Colorado. The upsides (as were predicted) have been high. At worst, collision claims seem to have risen ~3%.

http://www.koaa.com/story/36765398/colo ... -marijuana
Colorado - Today, Nov 4 marks five years since Colorado and Washington were the first states in the nation to legalize marijuana. Amendment 64 passed in Colorado in November 2012, legalizing marijuana for adults over the age of 21...

...According to the state the total revenue driven from recreational and medicinal marijuana sales has risen from 2014-2015. Total revenue started at almost 68 million in 2014, but nearly doubled by jumping to over $130 million by 2015.

In 2016 total revenue was over $193 million, so far this year from Jan-Sept total revenue is at almost $182 million. This revenue includes the sales tax on both medical and retail pot, retail excise tax, marijuana application and license fees, and overall sales...

...The report also says more than five percent of high school students use marijuana daily or almost daily. This has been the case since 2005.

In the state one in every four adults ages 18-25 reported marijuana use in the past month. This is a trend that hasn't changed much since the legalization of marijuana five years ago...

...The Department of Public Safety said the total number of marijuana arrests decreased by 46 percent during the early stages of legalization from 2012-2014. Marijuana possession arrests, which make up most marijuana arrests was nearly cut in half.

But, in 2017 the Highway Loss Data Institute, a leading insurance research group, released a study that links increased car crashes to legalized recreational marijuana. The study found collision claims in Colorado, Washington and Oregon went up 2.7 percent in the years since legal pot sales began, compared to surrounding states.
A lot more revenue, a lot less arrests, no change in the percentage of teen/adult users. Seems like the benefits coincide...with every other place in the world that's enacted these laws before.

Down from 95% in 1971.....kids need to pick it up...
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/c ... atalities/
Among The Post’s other findings:

Marijuana is figuring into more fatal crashes overall. In 2013, drivers tested positive for the drug in about 10 percent of all fatal crashes. By 2016, it was 20 percent.
More drivers are testing positive for marijuana and nothing else. Of the drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2014 who tested positive for cannabinoids, more than 52 percent had no alcohol in their system. By 2016, it had grown to 69 percent.
The average age of drivers in deadly crashes in 2015 who tested positive for marijuana was nearly 35, with a quarter of them over 40.
In 2016, of the 115 drivers in fatal wrecks who tested positive for marijuana use, 71 were found to have Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in their blood, indicating use within hours, according to state data. Of those, 63 percent were over 5 nanograms per milliliter, the state’s limit for driving.
“Potency is the extreme problem, with an extreme lack of understanding about what today’s marijuana really is,” Police Chief Jackson said. “This is not your grandfather’s weed. It’s not even marijuana; it’s THC, oils and concentrates, at levels of acute overdose. That’s what seems to be driving these numbers so high.”

Still, because of the uncertainty around what constitutes impairment, coroners don’t agree on whether the presence of THC should be listed on a death certificate.

“One of the three contract physicians I have is adamantly opposed to have it listed on there,” said Jill Romann, Douglas County’s coroner. “There are others across the state who feel the same way and won’t use the word intoxication with it. Despite the fact we are all coroners, everyone does as they want.”
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

89Hen wrote:https://www.denverpost.com/2017/08/25/c ... atalities/
Among The Post’s other findings:

Marijuana is figuring into more fatal crashes overall. In 2013, drivers tested positive for the drug in about 10 percent of all fatal crashes. By 2016, it was 20 percent.
More drivers are testing positive for marijuana and nothing else. Of the drivers involved in fatal crashes in 2014 who tested positive for cannabinoids, more than 52 percent had no alcohol in their system. By 2016, it had grown to 69 percent.
The average age of drivers in deadly crashes in 2015 who tested positive for marijuana was nearly 35, with a quarter of them over 40.
In 2016, of the 115 drivers in fatal wrecks who tested positive for marijuana use, 71 were found to have Delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol, or THC, the psychoactive ingredient in marijuana, in their blood, indicating use within hours, according to state data. Of those, 63 percent were over 5 nanograms per milliliter, the state’s limit for driving.
“Potency is the extreme problem, with an extreme lack of understanding about what today’s marijuana really is,” Police Chief Jackson said. “This is not your grandfather’s weed. It’s not even marijuana; it’s THC, oils and concentrates, at levels of acute overdose. That’s what seems to be driving these numbers so high.”

Still, because of the uncertainty around what constitutes impairment, coroners don’t agree on whether the presence of THC should be listed on a death certificate.

“One of the three contract physicians I have is adamantly opposed to have it listed on there,” said Jill Romann, Douglas County’s coroner. “There are others across the state who feel the same way and won’t use the word intoxication with it. Despite the fact we are all coroners, everyone does as they want.”
As soon as I saw the post I thought, "There's no way they can say there's a cause and effect relationship." Then I read the article and saw this quote:
Colorado transportation and public safety officials, however, say the rising number of pot-related traffic fatalities cannot be definitively linked to legalized marijuana.

Positive test results reflected in the NHTSA data do not indicate whether a driver was high at the time of the crash since traces of marijuana use from weeks earlier also can appear as a positive result.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

89Hen wrote:
houndawg wrote:Drugs don't kill people..... :coffee:
Gun users do.
:coffee:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

JohnStOnge wrote:
As soon as I saw the post I thought, "There's no way they can say there's a cause and effect relationship." Then I read the article and saw this quote:
Colorado transportation and public safety officials, however, say the rising number of pot-related traffic fatalities cannot be definitively linked to legalized marijuana.

Positive test results reflected in the NHTSA data do not indicate whether a driver was high at the time of the crash since traces of marijuana use from weeks earlier also can appear as a positive result.
The article says they can measure THC levels and determine usage to within hours. :suspicious: Even if true, how many hours + tolerance levels + type of weed is still not very exact in determining impairment. If you had 4 bud lights in an hour but it was 12 hours ago are you legally intoxicated? Is it different if you had 4 IPA's?

I do agree that edibles might change the game. The body processes them through the liver, the highs are stronger, and they seem to last longer. That can be fixed through better marketing and labeling. I'm guessing most problems (driving, panic attacks) occur with edibles.

Or you can just not drive while high.

CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

kalm wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:
The article says they can measure THC levels and determine usage to within hours. :suspicious: Even if true, how many hours + tolerance levels + type of weed is still not very exact in determining impairment. If you had 4 bud lights in an hour but it was 12 hours ago are you legally intoxicated? Is it different if you had 4 IPA's?

I do agree that edibles might change the game. The body processes them through the liver, the highs are stronger, and they seem to last longer. That can be fixed through better marketing and labeling. I'm guessing most problems (driving, panic attacks) occur with edibles.

Or you can just not drive while high.