Political discussions
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Re: DOJ Memo on Marijuana Use

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:There are illegal markets for plenty of otherwise legal goods. I'm not sure why you're patting yourself on the back here.
Because
clenz wrote:Seriously though, where is all the money in smuggling legal products?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:There are illegal markets for plenty of otherwise legal goods. I'm not sure why you're patting yourself on the back here.
Also
89Hen wrote:The question was asked why we would still have smugglers if pot were legal... because there will still be a demand for cheaper and unregulated products, just like there is for other products now.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Because
kalm wrote:It's already happened here and it's really no big deal. The state will iron out the retail, manufacturing, and wholesale end of the equation. Some will purchase it through those channels, some will grow their own, some will share their homegrown with friends, less and less will acquire it illegally.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
Because
kalm wrote:It's already happened here and it's really no big deal. The state will iron out the retail, manufacturing, and wholesale end of the equation. Some will purchase it through those channels, some will grow their own, some will share their homegrown with friends, less and less will acquire it illegally.
I don’t know anyone who grows their own or buys it on the black market. It’s affordable and there are stores everywhere so there’s really no need to hunt down a black market source to save a buck. If retailers do that will be shit down too as the state wants their taxes.

It’s about as much of a crisis as moonshine.

:lol:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Re: RE: Re: DOJ Memo on Marijuana Use

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
89Hen wrote:The question was asked why we would still have smugglers if pot were legal... because there will still be a demand for cheaper and unregulated products, just like there is for other products now.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/features/ca ... ot-sellers
...thousands of illegal unlicensed retailers have been operating in the state.

Licensed sellers, who have to pay state and local taxes, said unlicensed shops are undercutting them. In May, the California Minority Alliance, a marijuana retailer group, threatened to sue Los Angeles over the alleged lack of enforcement, Marijuana Business Daily reported.

“Unlicensed shops have been a public nuisance and pose a critical public safety issue to the residents of South Los Angeles,” the group wrote in a letter to the city. “The lack of enforcement has turned safe communities into havens for illicit activity encouraging the proliferation of unlawful cannabis operations.”
Questions to help me better understand the situation:

1) How many illegal producers are there in operation now?

2) How many of the illegal producers were in operation prior to legalization?

3) How many illegal producers are new?

4) How many illegal producers were there prior to legalization?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:It’s about as much of a crisis as moonshine.

So you think there are thousands of moonshiners in Cali?
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Re: RE: Re: DOJ Memo on Marijuana Use

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:
Questions to help me better understand the situation:

1) How many illegal producers are there in operation now?

2) How many of the illegal producers were in operation prior to legalization?

3) How many illegal producers are new?

4) How many illegal producers were there prior to legalization?
Google is your friend. I'm not doing your work for you. :ugeek:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:It’s about as much of a crisis as moonshine.

So you think there are thousands of moonshiners in Cali?
There were probably still thousands of a couple years after the end of prohibition. A better comparison would be Appalachia where it was more prevalent like Northern California is to sensimilla.

Keep trying though. :lol:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: So you think there are thousands of moonshiners in Cali?
There were probably still thousands of a couple years after the end of prohibition. A better comparison would be Appalachia where it was more prevalent like Northern California is to sensimilla.

Keep winning though. :lol:
FYP

https://www.cpr.org/2019/06/12/colorado ... er-states/
Colorado law enforcement announced in May that they’d seized what amounted to a small forest of marijuana: 80,000 individual plants and two tons of finished cannabis product.

It was part of a sweeping marijuana bust, just the latest in the state’s crackdown on illegal cannabis. There have been more than 500 felony arrests and almost 100,000 plants seized between 2016 and 2017, according to the latest data from the Rocky Mountain HIDTA Colorado Task Force.

Cannabis is one of the state’s most infamous exports, and law enforcement officials admit they’ll never come close to eradicating the problem. In fact, since legalization, the black market is thriving.
Hey look, I took care of 88's question at the same time. Damn, I'm good. :geek:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

FYP

Colorado law enforcement announced in May that they’d seized what amounted to a small forest of marijuana: 80,000 individual plants and two tons of finished cannabis product.

It was part of a sweeping marijuana bust, just the latest in the state’s crackdown on illegal cannabis. There have been more than 500 felony arrests and almost 100,000 plants seized between 2016 and 2017, according to the latest data from the Rocky Mountain HIDTA Colorado Task Force.

Cannabis is one of the state’s most infamous exports, and law enforcement officials admit they’ll never come close to eradicating the problem. In fact, since legalization, the black market is thriving.
Remember when black market shine brought down the South? They sadly never recovered... :ohno:

Ironically....High tax laws and excessive regulations help prop up the black market.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:Ironically....High tax laws and excessive regulations help prop up the black market.
You mean like I pointed out years ago? :coffee:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:

FYP

I asked 4 questions so that I could better understand the context of the situation. Stop acting like JSO and cheery-picking which points you address so you can be sure to "win".

‘Getting Worse, Not Better’: Illegal Pot Market Booming in California Despite Legalization
Regulators cite this tepid embrace by California municipalities as one of many reasons for the state’s persistent and pervasive illegal market. Only 620 cannabis shops have been licensed in California so far. Colorado, with a population one-sixth the size of California, has 562 licensed recreational marijuana stores.

But the more fundamental reason for the strength of the black market in California — and what sets the state apart from others — is the huge surplus of pot. Since medical marijuana was made legal in California more than two decades ago, the cannabis industry flourished with minimal oversight. Now many cannabis businesses are reluctant to go through the cumbersome and costly process to obtain the licenses that became mandatory last year.

Of the roughly 14 million pounds of marijuana grown in California annually, only a fraction — less than 20 percent according to state estimates and a private research firm — is consumed in California. The rest seeps out across the country illicitly, through the mail, express delivery services, private vehicles and small aircraft that ply trafficking routes that have existed for decades.

This illicit trade has been strengthened by the increasing popularity of vaping, cannabis-infused candies, tinctures and other derivative products. Vape cartridges are much easier to carry and conceal than bags of raw cannabis. And the monetary incentives of trafficking also remain powerful: The price of cannabis products in places like Illinois, New York or Connecticut are typically many times higher than in California.
It's early in the process of legalization, things haven't gone as planned and despite your best efforts it's too soon to tell if it's a failure.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

UNI88 wrote:It's early in the process of legalization, things haven't gone as planned and despite your best efforts it's too soon to tell if it's a failure.
Don't worry, we will continue to revisit this again and again. I don't expect it to be a "failure" but I do think there are a LOT more negatives to come as pot becomes more mainstream across the country. Health issues, DUI issues, black market... All anyone kept saying here was that I was overreacting and it would all be easy and good. :nod:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Black market?? And, you think making it illegal will decrease the black market for weed in places it's legal??

:suspicious:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Black market?? And, you think making it illegal will decrease the black market for weed in places it's legal??

:suspicious:
:suspicious: is right because I never said anything even remotely close to that. What WAS said by others here is that legalizing it will all but eliminate the black market. I called bullshit on that, and so far I've been right.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
UNI88 wrote:It's early in the process of legalization, things haven't gone as planned and despite your best efforts it's too soon to tell if it's a failure.
Don't worry, we will continue to revisit this again and again. I don't expect it to be a "failure" but I do think there are a LOT more negatives to come as pot becomes more mainstream across the country. Health issues, DUI issues, black market... All anyone kept saying here was that I was overreacting and it would all be easy and good. :nod:
In the great state of Washington where I live it’s been well, even easier than expected, and good. :nod:
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

89Hen wrote:What WAS said by others here is that legalizing it will all but eliminate the black market. I called bullshit on that, and so far I've been right.
You have been right so far.
kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote:Don't worry, we will continue to revisit this again and again. I don't expect it to be a "failure" but I do think there are a LOT more negatives to come as pot becomes more mainstream across the country. Health issues, DUI issues, black market... All anyone kept saying here was that I was overreacting and it would all be easy and good. :nod:
In the great state of Washington where I live it’s been well, even easier than expected, and good. :nod:
Seems to be going pretty well in Oregon as well. I smell the stuff on a pretty regular basis but haven't seen any major issues. I don't feel the need to partake (that may change as I get older and arthritis and other health issues set in) but don't begrudge another person's choice.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

UNI88 wrote:
89Hen wrote:What WAS said by others here is that legalizing it will all but eliminate the black market. I called bullshit on that, and so far I've been right.
You have been right so far.
kalm wrote:
Seems to be going pretty well in Oregon as well. I smell the stuff on a pretty regular basis but haven't seen any major issues. I don't feel the need to partake (that may change as I get older and arthritis and other health issues set in) but don't begrudge another person's choice.
Yup. To me, it's just like alcohol. Not good for you, incredibly unhealthy, but can serve a purpose for people. Let adults decide what they want to do relative to using it. To each their own.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

https://www.salon.com/2020/01/06/why-we ... ple-think/
While the United States is yet to fully nationalize recreational marijuana, our northern neighbors are, as usual, ahead of the curve. Recreational marijuana has been fully legal across Canada since October 2018. That has given Canadian medical researchers ample time to observe the social and public health effects of full, nationwide legalization. And it turns out that edibles — one of the more benign-seeming pot products — have an outsize role in causing problems.

Now, Canadian doctors are warning the public that pot edibles might not be as safe as the general public believes them to be. While it is difficult if not impossible to "overdose" on weed edibles to the point of death, negative effects like anxiety, panic attacks, and psychosis can send consumers to the hospital. Unlike smoked or vaped weed, weed edibles have less predictable effects, take far longer to set in, and resemble quotidian pastries and candies — and these three traits combined have led to many more health and safety issues with edibles than with the plain old leaf.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:https://www.salon.com/2020/01/06/why-we ... ple-think/
While the United States is yet to fully nationalize recreational marijuana, our northern neighbors are, as usual, ahead of the curve. Recreational marijuana has been fully legal across Canada since October 2018. That has given Canadian medical researchers ample time to observe the social and public health effects of full, nationwide legalization. And it turns out that edibles — one of the more benign-seeming pot products — have an outsize role in causing problems.

Now, Canadian doctors are warning the public that pot edibles might not be as safe as the general public believes them to be. While it is difficult if not impossible to "overdose" on weed edibles to the point of death, negative effects like anxiety, panic attacks, and psychosis can send consumers to the hospital. Unlike smoked or vaped weed, weed edibles have less predictable effects, take far longer to set in, and resemble quotidian pastries and candies — and these three traits combined have led to many more health and safety issues with edibles than with the plain old leaf.
And in other news...water is wet.

Since you’re ignorant on the subject, Hen, it’s kind of like saying shots of fireball can be more dangerous to some than a Michelob Ultra.

Edibles enter the blood stream via the liver versus the lungs. THC chemical compound actually changes as do some of it’s effects. It takes longer to get high, it lasts longer, and is in some ways stronger.

Right now, there’s someone around you at work, or in the bar, or a cashier at the store that is high on edibles.

Be afraid!

Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Nanny Staters...

:ohno:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:And in other news...water is wet.

Since you’re ignorant on the subject, Hen, it’s kind of like saying shots of fireball can be more dangerous to some than a Michelob Ultra.

Edibles enter the blood stream via the liver versus the lungs. THC chemical compound actually changes as do some of it’s effects. It takes longer to get high, it lasts longer, and is in some ways stronger.

Right now, there’s someone around you at work, or in the bar, or a cashier at the store that is high on edibles.

Be afraid!

:suspicious: Overreact much? Seems like you're more afraid than I.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:Since you’re ignorant on the subject, Hen...
BTW, on what are you basing that assumption? :suspicious:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:Since you’re ignorant on the subject, Hen...
BTW, on what are you basing that assumption? :suspicious:
Your posts.

And why would I be afraid. I don’t use edibles. Just trying to help you out. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: BTW, on what are you basing that assumption? :suspicious:
Your posts.

And why would I be afraid. I don’t use edibles. Just trying to help you out. :thumb:
Insincerity doesn't become you.

Show me anything I've posted on the subject that has been wrong. I'm not a THC or weed expert, but I'm not ignorant on the subject either. Do you think I have no experience with this subject?