Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Re: Santorum to Puerto Rico Speak English if you want stateh

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
CID1990 wrote:Given all the other things Santorum stands for and has said, I doubt he was pandering here.

However, Romney was 100% pandering when he said he would support PR statehood.

Santorum is a goof, but I agree that we do need to make English a requirement for some things, and immigration should be one. Statehood should be, too, but it hasn't been an issue up until now. Plenty of other western, developed countries require the home language for immigration. Australia is one.

Drives me crazy to see how wild people from Se Asia are about learning English because it is the way to get ahead in the world. There are so many English schools in Saigon they are like Starbucks. Language is culture, and there comes a point where you need to make a good faith effort to assimilate and get along.

Mostly agree with this - however, Puerto Rico is a special case - they are not immigrants - they are already US citizens. They have been speaking Spanish on the island for centuries - we conquered them.

Conquer? Um...Spain ceded the island to us in 1898. We invaded but I'm not sure "conquer" is the best term.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Ibanez wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Mostly agree with this - however, Puerto Rico is a special case - they are not immigrants - they are already US citizens. They have been speaking Spanish on the island for centuries - we conquered them.

Conquer? Um...Spain ceded the island to us in 1898. We invaded but I'm not sure "conquer" is the best term.
Yes, conquered - we kicked Spain's butt in the Spanish-American War - PR was part of the spoils of war.
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:
Ibanez wrote:

Yes, conquered - we kicked Spain's butt in the Spanish-American War - PR was part of the spoils of war.
Yes, I recall the details of the war. I'm just not sure if Conquered is the best term. We acquired them through beating the Spanish but that word seems to much.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by ASUMountaineer »

D1B wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
Yet when we assail Obama's credentials we're immediately labeled racist.
Are you really that stupid? Obama graduated from Harvard and is an extremely intelligent person. Palin is an Idaho grad moron, quitter, laughing stock of an *******.

Yessss, most of you are racists, you just don't realize it.
You know who else graduated from Harvard? Your boy...

I'm not sure I'd go with that reasoning. :lol: Of course, Bush got his business degree from Harvard, undergrad from Yale.
Appalachian State Mountaineers:

National Champions: 2005, 2006, and 2007
Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT! NOTHING'S HOTTER THAN A-S-U!