The FCC and Net Neutrality

Political discussions

Is this a good idea or bad?

FCC involvement in internet regulation will be beneficial in light of Wikileaks and other sites
5%
FCC involvement in internet regulation is Big Brother and will encroach on internet use
64%
One word: Skynet
10%
Pee in the butt
21%

Total votes: 39

danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Re: The FCC and Net Neutrality

Post by danefan »

bandl wrote:For what it's worth, I had Comcast for about 4 or 5 years and never had a problem. If anything, they were underbilling me as they thought I had the basic cable package when in fact I had a premium package all along. Then I had to switch to Cox and holy shit balls did they suck alot of dick. I got out of that contract as soon as I could and switched to Verizon FiOS a couple weeks ago. No problems thus far. As far as their service/speed/picture quality/channel availability is concerned, it's right on par with what I had with Comcast, although slightly better now that I can afford the upgraded items. I haven't had to deal with their billing yet, which is where I have heard they really try to skullfuck you.
I had FIOS and switched back to Cablevision really only because of the price. FIOS's billing department is a bunch of complete idiots, but it worked out in my favor. I had a 1 year contract that I broke early. instead of sending me the bill for the termination fee ($175) they sent me a check for $110. I still have no clue why, but I sure as hell cashed it.

What really screwed up my bills was the "One Bill" which will put your cell phone bill in with your FIOS bill. Don't do that whatever you do. FIOS and Verizon Wireless are two separate legal enterprises and because of that the combined billing is a nightmare. FIOS has to pay VZW after you pay FIOS so the timing is a complete headache. Especially if you need some kind of a cell-phone refund/credit.
bandl
Towson
Towson

Post by bandl »

danefan wrote:
bandl wrote:For what it's worth, I had Comcast for about 4 or 5 years and never had a problem. If anything, they were underbilling me as they thought I had the basic cable package when in fact I had a premium package all along. Then I had to switch to Cox and holy shit balls did they suck alot of dick. I got out of that contract as soon as I could and switched to Verizon FiOS a couple weeks ago. No problems thus far. As far as their service/speed/picture quality/channel availability is concerned, it's right on par with what I had with Comcast, although slightly better now that I can afford the upgraded items. I haven't had to deal with their billing yet, which is where I have heard they really try to skullfuck you.
I had FIOS and switched back to Cablevision really only because of the price. FIOS's billing department is a bunch of complete idiots, but it worked out in my favor. I had a 1 year contract that I broke early. instead of sending me the bill for the termination fee ($175) they sent me a check for $110. I still have no clue why, but I sure as hell cashed it.

What really screwed up my bills was the "One Bill" which will put your cell phone bill in with your FIOS bill. Don't do that whatever you do. FIOS and Verizon Wireless are two separate legal enterprises and because of that the combined billing is a nightmare. FIOS has to pay VZW after you pay FIOS so the timing is a complete headache. Especially if you need some kind of a cell-phone refund/credit.
Noted....thankfully I've only got cable and internet with Verizon. Cell phone with AT&T (wife's company subsidizes majority of that). Verizon is about $100 cheaper per month than what I was paying with Cox, and I locked in a 2-year rate guarantee too.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

If the FCC is involved (it is) this ruling will benefit a corporation/s that is donating money to get Dems re-elected.

Not individual people in this country.

If you think the government will protect you as a US citizen then your certifiably nuts. They protect the money.

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:If the FCC is involved (it is) this ruling will benefit a corporation/s that is donating money to get Dems re-elected.

If you think the government will protect you as a US citizen then your certifiably nuts. They protect the money.
And that little nugget right there might convince me to take the other view on this. :thumb:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana Grizzlies
A.K.A.: Bill Brasky

Post by Ursus A. Horribilis »

kalm wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:If the FCC is involved (it is) this ruling will benefit a corporation/s that is donating money to get Dems re-elected.

And that little nugget right there might convince me to take the other view on this. :thumb:
That's what I've been getting at all along. We would be paying out all sides getting the FCC involved no matter how limited they say their involvement would be it will continue to grow and the money will continue to flow.

The money is always handed around to those in power that is taken from those that are supposed to being serviced.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Ursus A. Horribilis wrote:
kalm wrote:
That's what I've been getting at all along. We would be paying out all sides getting the FCC involved no matter how limited they say their involvement would be it will continue to grow and the money will continue to flow.

The money is always handed around to those in power that is taken from those that are supposed to being serviced.
Yeah but you kept going on and on about windsocks. It really confused me. :mrgreen:
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

kalm wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: That's what I've been getting at all along. We would be paying out all sides getting the FCC involved no matter how limited they say their involvement would be it will continue to grow and the money will continue to flow.

Yeah but you kept going on and on about windsocks. It really confused me. :mrgreen:
True, I did overdo it there. :lol:
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

kalm wrote:

You know, Ursus, a felllow could take that last sentence two ways! :lol:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Ivytalk wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: That's what I've been getting at all along. We would be paying out all sides getting the FCC involved no matter how limited they say their involvement would be it will continue to grow and the money will continue to flow.

I recognized that when writing it and thought about changing it but realized it would take some fun out of it.
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Post by Ivytalk »

Ivytalk wrote:
I recognized that when writing it and thought about changing it but realized it would take some fun out of it.
Glad you made the right decision! Merry Christmas, Ursus! :thumb:
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

Ivytalk wrote:
Ursus A. Horribilis wrote: I recognized that when writing it and thought about changing it but realized it would take some fun out of it.
Back at ya Ivy, hope it's a good one for your family!
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

I don't think it's too much of a stretch to foresee an Internet Czar and supporting government staff not unlike the FCC or Homeland Security evolving within the next few years to protect us.
Ursus A. Horribilis
Maroon Supporter
Maroon Supporter

ASUG8 wrote:I don't think it's too much of a stretch to foresee an Internet Czar and supporting government staff not unlike the FCC or Homeland Security evolving within the next few years to protect us.
Not only is that not a stretch it would be fully expected.
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

Ivytalk wrote:
Back at ya Ivy, hope it's a good one for your family!
Merry Christmas and Happy Hanukkah - or the Holiday Greeting of your choice - to everyone!
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Wow..
You really need to do some (any) research before you post

Do you know who is in the major Broadband lobby groups..?
Do you know who (historically) their primary beneficiaries are..?
Do you understand the present billing restrictions and how they apply to individuals / single residence / Business / corp.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about..?

and the answer is: No, you don't even have a clue

:coffee:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
native
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Weber State

Post by native »

Chizzang wrote:
Wow..
You really need to do some (any) research before you post

Do you know who is in the major Broadband lobby groups..?
Do you know who (historically) their primary beneficiaries are..?
Do you understand the present billing restrictions and how they apply to individuals / single residence / Business / corp.

Do you have any idea what you're talking about..?

and the answer is: No, you don't even have a clue

It must suck for you that AG is so often correct in his conclusions. :lol:
Proud Prince of Purple Pomposity
YT is not a communist. He's just a ...young pup.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Bump

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:Bump

Good bump.

I wasn't half as full of shit as I thought I'd be.

I still like the decision. The internet should be a public utility with open access.
ASUG8
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: ASU

Post by ASUG8 »

Holy resurrection, batman. :lol: I sounded a little bit smart 4 years ago when we started this.
DSUrocks07
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Delaware State
A.K.A.: phillywild305

Post by DSUrocks07 »

I was neutral on the whole net neutrality issue, but the triumphant celebration by the younger generation in this country and across the world is starting to terrify me a bit.

MEAC, last one out turn off the lights.

@phillywild305 FB
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

DSUrocks07 wrote:I was neutral on the whole net neutrality issue, but the triumphant celebration by the younger generation in this country and across the world is starting to terrify me a bit.

I agree, it's weird. It's like they don't think anything can go wrong despite still living in their parents basements.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

It's scarier when they post a Padme .gif to express a political point.
Last edited by Skjellyfetti on Fri Feb 27, 2015 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Portland State Vikings
A.K.A.: Modern Man

Post by travelinman67 »

Skjellyfetti wrote:It's scarier that when they post a Padme .gif to express a political point.
Think of it as a "social media graph".
"That is how government works - we tell you what you can do today."
- EPA Kommissar Gina McCarthy
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

I enjoy seeing bad Cleets look silly on this topic............

ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

http://www.forbes.com/sites/markhendric ... eutrality/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;