Superdelegates

Political discussions
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Superdelegates

Post by Ibanez »

I don’t understand this superdelegate thing. If they can just vote for whomever they please and sway the nomination, then what is the point of having primaries at all? The democrats can potentially give the nomination to the person who didn't win.

And even though Bush won Flordia, it'll be a similiar situation. A Hilliary nomination, I feel,secures 4 more years of a GOP White House.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Superdelegates

Post by dbackjon »

Superdelegates are elected Party leaders - and a source of major controversy in the Democratic Party. It used to be that many of the people that are now Superdelegates were the convention delegates - selected by caucuses, primaries, etc. By taking them out of the equation, and giving them automatic seats at the convention, it was designed to open up more seats for ordinary people.

I don't think they will sway the final vote - most will be hesitant to vote for a candidate that was behind in the regular delegates.
:thumb:
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

dbackjon wrote:Superdelegates are elected Party leaders - and a source of major controversy in the Democratic Party. It used to be that many of the people that are now Superdelegates were the convention delegates - selected by caucuses, primaries, etc. By taking them out of the equation, and giving them automatic seats at the convention, it was designed to open up more seats for ordinary people.

I don't think they will sway the final vote - most will be hesitant to vote for a candidate that was behind in the regular delegates.
i understand who they are, but what's the point? So ordinary people can be delegates?
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

MarkCCU wrote:
dbackjon wrote:Superdelegates are elected Party leaders - and a source of major controversy in the Democratic Party. It used to be that many of the people that are now Superdelegates were the convention delegates - selected by caucuses, primaries, etc. By taking them out of the equation, and giving them automatic seats at the convention, it was designed to open up more seats for ordinary people.

i understand who they are, but what's the point? So ordinary people can be delegates?
That, and to ensure the party leaders have a say. Some believe so that the party insiders have ultimate control.
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

dbackjon wrote:
MarkCCU wrote: i understand who they are, but what's the point? So ordinary people can be delegates?
That, and to ensure the party leaders have a say. Some believe so that the party insiders have ultimate control.

Naaaaahhhhhhhh...... :roll:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12