Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Cancel Culture thread

Post by kalm »

CID1990 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:40 am
GannonFan wrote:
Nope, you're not the only one. The danger of fascism and the like in this country has of late been more pronounced on the left side of the aisle. It wasn't always that way, as you could argue the conservatives through the post Civil War to the 1960's were more like that, but now you have this cancel culture that doesn't know and doesn't care to know the complexity and nuance of history and is focused on quick feel good reactions. It's like Trip here, only a smattering of actual knowledge but filled with an inflated sense of self-worth, and you get a dangerous mix of uninformed but righteous fervor. The Weimar Republic never had a chance. :ohno:
Its nuanced, Ganny.. as someone we all know and love is sure to chime in and remind us

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Marxists fascists are the worst kind of fascists.
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 3:04 pm I'm 100% on board for taking down all Washington monuments and renaming DC, as well as taking down the Jefferson Memorial and renaming the Washington monument. I prefer rededicating it all to blacks and Native Americans who suffered for this country.

Anyways, it should have happened a long time ago. :nod:
No so fast my friend. Native Americans enslaved other Native Americans long before the white Europeans colonized North America. They were also not above enslaving blacks, either. Not to mention the free blacks who enslaved other blacks.

From there we have the Greeks, Romans, the Ottoman Empire, Ancient Egypt, China. The Coliseum, Egyptian Pyramids, Mecca, The Great Wall...all built by slaves. Which brings to mind...wait until these SJW's learn that the wonderful peace loving Prophet Muhammad was a slave owner and trader. :rofl:

Trip, you soy boys better pack your granola and kale. There is a lot of culture out there that needs canceling. :thumb:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I am a Native American.

Might Makes Right

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 10:54 pm I canceled a cancel culture fuck face tonight.

Hope they have medical insurance.
You better hope they don't 'cause not only is the victim liable to sue, the insurance company will want to as well.
I was the victim, they have to deal with the consequences of their actions.

It's my new normal
Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:41 am

No, I'm not suggesting that. But their feeling of disenfranchisement was at the cost of a lot of peoples disenfranchisement.

Let's not immortalize the FF as saviors when they did it primarily to benefit themselves under the guise of liberty, while throwing every other person (blacks, Natives, women, the lesser educated, etc) under the bus. Hell they even wrote into the Constitution a safeguard to protect themselves from a Presidential result just in case they didn't agree with it, divided the Legislative branch so it didn't have as much power, made sure only certain people could cote, and of course continued with slavery.

I get it, they were men of their times and every system has imperfections. To their credit, they kickstarted the idea of freedom and liberty, but the first take isn't often the best take. There's since been better political philosophies and governments we can emulate and improve upon which actually fall in line with the ideals of the American experiment. Let's stop clinging to the past.
If you're hoping for some country to be born out of altruism, you'll be looking for a long time. And we aren't on their first take. The Articles of Confederation was a failure. Even the country as it exists today is vastly different than the beginning. We are evolving and it seems like it's not as the pace that the SJWs want.

But if they want reform - their methods do nothing to help their cause. Their methods only exacerbate the problem and the prejudice that people lay upon them.

I'm all for not having bases named after Confederates - especially shitty ones like Bragg - but this movement is to purify the country. And those movements will fail. They'll be brutal and bloody.

Are we going to get rid of everything with Lincoln's name and face on it b/c he said he'd sue for peace if it meant keeping slaves or his participation in sending blacks back to Africa? These people were humans..not gods. The SJWs are putting them on a pedestal as if they were gods. They were humans and we're judging them based on our 21st century views. I don't know what erasing their presence and destroying our history is going to do that's a net positive.
I think that in regards to the FF, it should be a democratic process in how we memorialize them...although I can't blame individuals who do vandalize statues for perceived injustices. In the end, it's just some inanimate object.

I acknowledge I'm probably too early to the party and the country isn't ready yet, but at some point we should have a serious discussion about our past, the great man theory, and propping up individuals to godlike status. America was mostly built and advanced on the backs of faceless people we'll never know...people like you who will be lost in time. Let's right the ship and honor them instead.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 7:04 am
Ibanez wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 5:57 am

If you're hoping for some country to be born out of altruism, you'll be looking for a long time. And we aren't on their first take. The Articles of Confederation was a failure. Even the country as it exists today is vastly different than the beginning. We are evolving and it seems like it's not as the pace that the SJWs want.

But if they want reform - their methods do nothing to help their cause. Their methods only exacerbate the problem and the prejudice that people lay upon them.

I'm all for not having bases named after Confederates - especially shitty ones like Bragg - but this movement is to purify the country. And those movements will fail. They'll be brutal and bloody.

Are we going to get rid of everything with Lincoln's name and face on it b/c he said he'd sue for peace if it meant keeping slaves or his participation in sending blacks back to Africa? These people were humans..not gods. The SJWs are putting them on a pedestal as if they were gods. They were humans and we're judging them based on our 21st century views. I don't know what erasing their presence and destroying our history is going to do that's a net positive.
I think that in regards to the FF, it should be a democratic process in how we memorialize them...although I can't blame individuals who do vandalize statues for perceived injustices. In the end, it's just some inanimate object.

I acknowledge I'm probably too early to the party and the country isn't ready yet, but at some point we should have a serious discussion about our past, the great man theory, and propping up individuals to godlike status. America was mostly built and advanced on the backs of faceless people we'll never know...people like you who will be lost in time. Let's right the ship and honor them instead.
Regardless of your position - vandalism, crime, etc... are unacceptable. You can "right the ship" and honor the contributions of those groups but why at the expense of others? Because they were products of their time? The one of the largest slave owners is SC was a black man. Africans sold their rivals to the white men. Africans still enslave each other. Erasing our past is not a solution. We MUST know where we come from and understand our founders in context. You're picking and choosing "winners."
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:07 am
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 9:24 pm
Why should I be butthurt over Trip's gross generalization and stereotyping of the FFs. It really isn't that different than saying that African Americans are lazy or "irrationally violent" or that millennials are lazy, entitled mama's boys who think they should be given jobs simply because of their perception of their own importance and that they deserve 10+% raises every year.

And I have no problem with criticizing the FFs but that is very different from trying to ignore and erase their legacy because they were flawed like all humans in every single age and that includes me, you, and Trip in this one.
You shouldn’t be. I don’t agree with everything Trip has said but it’s thought provoking. Judging by the number of replies after it, I’d say my prediction was accurate. :D
So you and I were both butthurt over CG's thought-provoking post that African Americans are "irrationally violent."

The funny thing is that Trip is actually conservative in some ways. He thinks what he thinks and isn't really open to ideas and arguments that are contrary to what he thinks. He is closed-minded and stuck in his approach.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:12 am
kalm wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:07 am

You shouldn’t be. I don’t agree with everything Trip has said but it’s thought provoking. Judging by the number of replies after it, I’d say my prediction was accurate. :D
So you and I were both butthurt over CG's thought-provoking post that African Americans are "irrationally violent."

The funny thing is that Trip is actually conservative in some ways. He thinks what he thinks and isn't really open to ideas and arguments that are contrary to what he thinks. He is closed-minded and stuck in his approach.
Not true. I went from conservative to moderate to liberal to progressive in the span of 16 years, and I'm willing to acknowledge better ideas when they come along (in life and work). I also believe in the Democratic process first, economics second.

My beef is that this isn't really a Democratic process anymore, and historically there are two ways to right a wayward ship: fix the sails or put up some new ones. Do you ever ask yourself why so many people are discontent with America? Do you ever wonder why so many have begun to question how this country operates? I'm far from the only one looking around and saying, "yeah this is broken."

Face it, the people who operated this nation the last few decades failed. They institutionalized debt, borrowed from the future, funneled money upwards, and restricted not only the mobility of entire swaths of people, but their voices as well.

At some point there will be a reckoning, either generational or otherwise. This decade is shaping up to be that moment.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:53 am

Not true. I went from conservative to moderate to liberal to progressive in the span of 16 years, and I'm willing to acknowledge better ideas when they come along (in life and work). I also believe in the Democratic process first, economics second.

My beef is that this isn't really a Democratic process anymore, and historically there are two ways to right a wayward ship: fix the sails or put up some new ones. Do you ever ask yourself why so many people are discontent with America? Do you ever wonder why so many have begun to question how this country operates? I'm far from the only one looking around and saying, "yeah this is broken."

Face it, the people who operated this nation the last few decades failed. They institutionalized debt, borrowed from the future, funneled money upwards, and restricted not only the mobility of entire swaths of people, but their voices as well.

At some point there will be a reckoning, either generational or otherwise. This decade is shaping up to be that moment.
:nod:

This has happened in Anglo-American society every 80-100 years almost without exception since the War of the Roses. Resets. This one is pushing out the Baby Boomers.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:13 am

This has happened in Anglo-American society every 80-100 years almost without exception since the War of the Roses. Resets. This one is pushing out the Baby Boomers.
And yet we're about to elect either a 74 year old white guy or a 78 year old white guy as President (yeah, I get that technically Biden isn't part of the Baby Boom generation, but he doesn't get any points for being even older than the Baby Boomers). I'd say on the bright side that this should be the last election where we're stuck with old white guys as candidates but I'm not sure I saw this election coming either. Not exactly a reset at the moment.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 8:56 pm
∞∞∞ wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:56 pm Eh, even the Jacobin elites from the French Revolution are heavily criticized while we somehow deified our guys.

I guess you could say America had to have been made so better Republics and Democracies could be made afterwards. Assuming the FF were actually going for ideals (instead of practical matters regarding slavery, keeping their wealth, status, etc.), maybe they could've laid better groundwork had they access to practical political philosophies (ex. Hegel).

But even as men of their time, they were mostly rich white dudes who were angry that they weren't even richer. The East India Company f*cked up (again) as it looted the world and the FF were just mad that Britain had to tax them for it to make up funds...an early example of the inherent greed in capitalism and corporations, and how they tear society when left to their own devices.

I’m predicting a whole bunch of butthurt and snowflakery over this post...

:popcorn:
His delusion is comical. :rofl: :rofl:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

You should read a history book. Or two.

Oh wait. Those have all been burned. Fucking idiots.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:27 am
kalm wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:13 am

And yet we're about to elect either a 74 year old white guy or a 78 year old white guy as President (yeah, I get that technically Biden isn't part of the Baby Boom generation, but he doesn't get any points for being even older than the Baby Boomers). I'd say on the bright side that this should be the last election where we're stuck with old white guys as candidates but I'm not sure I saw this election coming either. Not exactly a reset at the moment.
It’s the last gasp. This crisis period is a few years from ending still...presidential politics and electoral choices notwithstanding.
Gil Dobie
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Norse Dakota State

Post by Gil Dobie »

Is the next step, avoiding products invented by people that were confederate or owned slaves? Coca-Cola comes to mind.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

Gil Dobie wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:41 am Is the next step, avoiding products invented by people that were confederate or owned slaves? Coca-Cola comes to mind.
What about human rights abuses? Time to boycott Apple, Nike, Addidas, IBM, all the fast fashion brands, any technology company, etc....
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

∞∞∞ wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 8:12 am So you and I were both butthurt over CG's thought-provoking post that African Americans are "irrationally violent."

So you are a sheep.

We already know that

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:03 am
∞∞∞ wrote:

So you are a sheep.

We already know that

So that’s why you find him interesting.

Heyo!
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

That's funny! When I respond to one of your rants with logic and experience that counters it you disappear for a few days because you "have a life" but when you return you rarely respond to my arguments that contradict your positions. I don't think I've changed your mind. It's like you stick your fingers in your ear and ignore contradicting ideas ...

I wonder if you've decided that I'm just an old white guy who doesn't understand the righteousness of your perspective. If your ideas are so good and righteous than they could stand up to the arguments that I and others make against them. Your certainty in the righteousness of your position is so similar to religion that it's kind of frightening.

As far as others looking around and saying "yeah this is broken" read my posts on opportunity, education and Fortune 500 CEO pay.

You and Kalm decry institutionalized debt and borrowing from the future but you want to expand it to pay to continue with shelter-in-place?

Yes, people are discontent. Some of that discontent is for good reason and some is because they don't understand history, how good they have it, or the opportunities that are there for them if they are willing to work and take some risks to achieve them. Too many people expect things to be handed to them. Entitlement is not specific to age, race, sex, religion, etc.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
Baldy
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Southern

Post by Baldy »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 am

That's funny! When I respond to one of your rants with logic and experience that counters it you disappear for a few days because you "have a life" but when you return you rarely respond to my arguments that contradict your positions. I don't think I've changed your mind. It's like you stick your fingers in your ear and ignore contradicting ideas ...

I wonder if you've decided that I'm just an old white guy who doesn't understand the righteousness of your perspective. If your ideas are so good and righteous than they could stand up to the arguments that I and others make against them. Your certainty in the righteousness of your position is so similar to religion that it's kind of frightening.

As far as others looking around and saying "yeah this is broken" read my posts on opportunity, education and Fortune 500 CEO pay.

You and Kalm decry institutionalized debt and borrowing from the future but you want to expand it to pay to continue with shelter-in-place?

Yes, people are discontent. Some of that discontent is for good reason and some is because they don't understand history, how good they have it, or the opportunities that are there for them if they are willing to work and take some risks to achieve them. Too many people expect things to be handed to them. Entitlement is not specific to age, race, sex, religion, etc.
Trip has denounced the "Corporatocracy"(or whatever that is) today already. However, it is his and the younger generations who are so discontent with the excesses and greed from the millionaire and billionaire classes in today's society today that they will be lined up outside the Apple Store chomping at the bits to give billionaire Tim Cook all their (or their parent's) hard earned money for the iPhone 12 whenever it comes out. :?
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Baldy wrote:
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 am That's funny! When I respond to one of your rants with logic and experience that counters it you disappear for a few days because you "have a life" but when you return you rarely respond to my arguments that contradict your positions. I don't think I've changed your mind. It's like you stick your fingers in your ear and ignore contradicting ideas ...

Trip has denounced the "Corporatocracy"(or whatever that is) today already. However, it is his and the younger generations who are so discontent with the excesses and greed from the millionaire and billionaire classes in today's society today that they will be lined up outside the Apple Store chomping at the bits to give billionaire Tim Cook all their (or their parent's) hard earned money for the iPhone 12 whenever it comes out. :?
The only part you missed is he really doesn't believe he should even have to pay for the iPhone

SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Hey Trips, you know who doesn't have to deal with the FF or put up with any of the complaints and problems related to this country that you bring up? CHAZ.

Move there, own it. Don't be a pussy. Walk the walk baby.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

#1 now in Amazon DVD sales- Gone With the Wind.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 am I wonder if you've decided that I'm just an old white guy who doesn't understand the righteousness of your perspective. If your ideas are so good and righteous than they could stand up to the arguments that I and others make against them. Your certainty in the righteousness of your position is so similar to religion that it's kind of frightening.

Well win them over with your ideas then; that's the point of democracy. Show them how your arguments work.

All I see in your post are assumptions that Americans "don't understand history" or "how good they have it" or "the opportunities that are there for them." Do you ever consider that people aren't dumb and understand these things, except they have a different perspective on it?

There's a reason I argue on a message board where I'll likely win none of you over: it's the fact that every idea should be challenged including mine and yours. And if some young football fan is reading this, I want them to come across a perspective they may never have considered before and then decide if it's something they'd like to look further into. Otherwise, they'd get lost in a bubble of similar thoughts.

So want to win people over? First don't assume, and second go argue where your views are mocked. There's certainly a better chance you change someone's view there instead of arguing in a place where your ideas are embraced.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 am
UNI88 wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:27 am I wonder if you've decided that I'm just an old white guy who doesn't understand the righteousness of your perspective. If your ideas are so good and righteous than they could stand up to the arguments that I and others make against them. Your certainty in the righteousness of your position is so similar to religion that it's kind of frightening.

Well win them over with your ideas then; that's the point of democracy. Show them how your arguments work.

All I see in your post are assumptions that Americans "don't understand history" or "how good they have it" or "the opportunities that are there for them." Do you ever consider that people aren't dumb and understand these things, except they have a different perspective on it?

There's a reason I argue on a message board where I'll likely win none of you over: it's the fact that every idea should be challenged including mine and yours. And if some young football fan is reading this, I want them to come across a perspective they may never have considered before and then decide if it's something they'd like to look further into. Otherwise, they'd get lost in a bubble of similar thoughts.

So want to win people over? First don't assume, and second go argue where your views are mocked. There's certainly a better chance you change someone's view there instead of arguing in a place where your ideas are embraced.
Those places are cancelling people who don't follow the same groupthink, hence this thread.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:24 am
∞∞∞ wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:20 am

Those places are cancelling people who don't follow the same groupthink, hence this thread.
The irony in that is epic. That's almost the definition of something going right over someone's head. :rofl:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation