Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Blue Wave 2018

Post by Ivytalk »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: :+1:

If JSO is a conservative, I’m Vlad Putin. Or maybe Vidav. They all look alike. Whatever.
JSO on abortion:

Objectively, the life of an individual member of our species begins at conception. No abortion unless it's a situation where the unborn individual must be terminated or both mother and unborn individual will die. No exceptions for rape or incest as the unborn individual had nothing to do with either of those things.

JSO on the second Amendment:

It clearly says that the People have the right to keep and bear "arms." The reference to the militia isn't a condition on that right. It's an explanation for it. Also, it doesn't say "guns." It says "arms." In fact the reference to militia makes it clear it is referring to military weapons. Unless and until we amend the Constitution the Federal government shouldn't be making laws saying persons cannot keep and bear ANY kinds of arms. Automatic weapons. Bombs. Artillery. Whatever. It is what it is. If we don't like it, we need to amend the Constitution.

JSO on Church and State:

The Constitution does not contain a Separation of Church and State. It contains a narrow, explicit prohibition on Congress making laws with respect to the establishment of religion. The idea that the 1st Amendment really prohibits something like a local school principal saying a daily prayer over the intercom is ridiculous.

JSO on race:

The evidence suggests that there are differences in distributions of aptitudes between what we call racial groups and that those differences are in part due to genetics.

JSO on affirmative action:

No.

JSO on taxes:

The idea of "tax expenditure" is nonsense. Government lowering tax rates is not an expenditure. Also, progressive taxation is immoral. The fact that someone makes more does not mean they should pay more. As a practical matter, it may be that we have to ask people who make more to pay more in taxes. But a fair tax system would be one in which each person in the country would pay the same amount. The cost of running the country divided by the number of people who live in it. We have a serious problem with our tax system in that the majority of the people in the country pay less than their share...with many paying nothing at all...while they also get a say in the direction of things. The "no skin in the game" phenomenon.

JSO on homosexuality:

It's abnormal.

JSO on homosexual marriage:

If people establish homosexual marriage in their jurisdiction through the representative government process, OK. But no way the Federal government, though the Courts, should have forced it upon local jurisdictions.

JSO on businesses being forced to serve people:

Whether you're talking about race, sexual orientation, or anything else, no person should be forced to do businesss with any other person whether they are on the selling or buying side of the transaction. This is where the Civil Rights thing is wrong. If a business owner wants to refuse to do business with individuals of a certain race, they should be free to refuse. Same with sexual orientation or anything else.

I could go on, but you get the picture. And none of those things are new. I have crafted posts about those issues expressing those positions many times in the past. I'm probably way more "conservative" than you are.
One of my professional mentors taught me an invaluable lesson: it’s much harder to write a good short brief than a long one. Keep trying.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Trump won KYHD49 72-23 in 2016

Democrats just won the seat 68-32

:shock: :lol:
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Trump won KYHD49 72-23 in 2016

Context is important - Belcher, the woman who won, had barely lost the seat she held as an imcumbent in 2016 - despite Trump's margin she only lost by 156 votes (out of more than 18k) in 2016. She was running here against the widow of the guy who beat Belcher in 2016 but had committed suicide after it came out that he liked young girls. Just saying.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

GannonFan wrote:

Context is important - Belcher, the woman who won, had barely lost the seat she held as an imcumbent in 2016 - despite Trump's margin she only lost by 156 votes (out of more than 18k) in 2016. She was running here against the widow of the guy who beat Belcher in 2016 but had committed suicide after it came out that he liked young girls. Just saying.
nah. 68-32.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: :+1:

If JSO is a conservative, I’m Vlad Putin. Or maybe Vidav. They all look alike. Whatever.
JSO on abortion:

Objectively, the life of an individual member of our species begins at conception. No abortion unless it's a situation where the unborn individual must be terminated or both mother and unborn individual will die. No exceptions for rape or incest as the unborn individual had nothing to do with either of those things.

JSO on the second Amendment:

It clearly says that the People have the right to keep and bear "arms." The reference to the militia isn't a condition on that right. It's an explanation for it. Also, it doesn't say "guns." It says "arms." In fact the reference to militia makes it clear it is referring to military weapons. Unless and until we amend the Constitution the Federal government shouldn't be making laws saying persons cannot keep and bear ANY kinds of arms. Automatic weapons. Bombs. Artillery. Whatever. It is what it is. If we don't like it, we need to amend the Constitution.

JSO on Church and State:

The Constitution does not contain a Separation of Church and State. It contains a narrow, explicit prohibition on Congress making laws with respect to the establishment of religion. The idea that the 1st Amendment really prohibits something like a local school principal saying a daily prayer over the intercom is ridiculous.

JSO on race:

The evidence suggests that there are differences in distributions of aptitudes between what we call racial groups and that those differences are in part due to genetics.

JSO on affirmative action:

No.

JSO on taxes:

The idea of "tax expenditure" is nonsense. Government lowering tax rates is not an expenditure. Also, progressive taxation is immoral. The fact that someone makes more does not mean they should pay more. As a practical matter, it may be that we have to ask people who make more to pay more in taxes. But a fair tax system would be one in which each person in the country would pay the same amount. The cost of running the country divided by the number of people who live in it. We have a serious problem with our tax system in that the majority of the people in the country pay less than their share...with many paying nothing at all...while they also get a say in the direction of things. The "no skin in the game" phenomenon.

JSO on homosexuality:

It's abnormal.

JSO on homosexual marriage:

If people establish homosexual marriage in their jurisdiction through the representative government process, OK. But no way the Federal government, though the Courts, should have forced it upon local jurisdictions.

JSO on businesses being forced to serve people:

Whether you're talking about race, sexual orientation, or anything else, no person should be forced to do businesss with any other person whether they are on the selling or buying side of the transaction. This is where the Civil Rights thing is wrong. If a business owner wants to refuse to do business with individuals of a certain race, they should be free to refuse. Same with sexual orientation or anything else.

I could go on, but you get the picture. And none of those things are new. I have crafted posts about those issues expressing those positions many times in the past. I'm probably way more "conservative" than you are.
I'm the only real conservative here. :coffee:

Pay cash for everything, boys, even if you have to pawn the spare tire. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

GannonFan wrote:

Fake news. It's common knowledge that Republicans prefer young boys. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Connor Lamb wins in PA-18.

2008 presidential: McCain +11%
2008 House: Murphy +28%
2010 House: Murphy +35%
2012 presidential: Romney +17%
2012 House: Murphy +28%
2014 House: Murphy unopposed
2016 presidential: Trump +20%
2016 House: Murphy unopposed

Over 100 races more competitive.

Democrats now need 23. :coffee:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Connor Lamb wins in PA-18.

The article I read indicates that he will have to re-run this Nov...and it will be in a different district due to the PA district lines being redrawn.

Good win for D's though and it give them a clear map of how to win seats...go moderate. :thumb:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote:

The article I read indicates that he will have to re-run this Nov...and it will be in a different district due to the PA district lines being redrawn.

Good win for D's though and it give them a clear map of how to win seats...go moderate. :thumb:
Go moderate in red districts although a few liberals have come close in those places as well.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

SDHornet wrote:

I'm all in favor of moderation in my politicians. They tend not to stick around though, as the extreme partisans on either side tend to get annoyed that they won power but can't implement their more extreme positions because the moderates get in the way. I remember when "blue dogs" were a good thing when Dems were winning seats but then being a "blue dog" was a slur as they didn't go along with the extreme parts of the party.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

I can’t figure out how Lamb is a Democrat.

Theres a D by the name but he doesn’t check too many other boxes
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

CID1990 wrote:I can’t figure out how Lamb is a Democrat.

I like the one quote from a miner in the Wash Times (I had no idea that was a newspaper) -
“He is not exactly creating a smear campaign like his opponent is, and if somebody is doing that, there seems to be they might have something to hide,” the 66-year-old miner said, adding that he thinks Mr. Trump and Mr. Lamb are cut from a similar cloth.

“We need someone like Conor, and we need somebody like Trump to fight the establishment, which has gone too far,” he said.
https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/20 ... vania-cam/
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

I think the GOP losses are being pooh poohed too much. A lot of these donks are conservative but they could easily be arm-twisted by donk leaders in congress or a future donk president to do things their platforms would suggest they wouldn't do (see the Obamacare vote). And you know some deep-blue districts are going to have their versions of tea party candidates win races, that will just embolden them.

I honestly wonder if Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell's thinking here is "let's let the donks re-take the house in November, then we can dump Trump without pissing off quite as many people".
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Pwns wrote:A lot of these donks are conservative but they could easily be arm-twisted by donk leaders in congress or a future donk president to do things their platforms would suggest they wouldn't do.
Yeah, votes in the House of Representatives rarely come down to a few votes.

More important is Democrats getting control of the gavel and committees. :nod:
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

That's almost word for word statement by Chris Cuomo on CNN this morning. :lol:
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

He's a moderate Democrat.

Policy-wise, he's pro-Union, pro-Obamacare, pro-choice, and supports planned parenthood.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

∞∞∞ wrote:

He's a moderate Democrat.

Policy-wise, he's pro-Union, pro-Obamacare, pro-choice, and supports planned parenthood.
He's come out as against abortion but backs the Supreme Court ruling.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Ibanez wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: He's a moderate Democrat.

He's come out as against abortion but backs the Supreme Court ruling.
Yes, that's why I prefaced that statement "Policy-wise." Regardless, the Dems need to learn from this and run more moderates in conservative-leaning areas. It's also nice to see younger candidates finally stepping up and getting into politics (Virginia's race last November had quite a few of those).
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal

Post by Skjellyfetti »

They didn't even run anyone in this district the last two outings.
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Pwns wrote:I think the GOP losses are being pooh poohed too much. A lot of these donks are conservative but they could easily be arm-twisted by donk leaders in congress or a future donk president to do things their platforms would suggest they wouldn't do (see the Obamacare vote). And you know some deep-blue districts are going to have their versions of tea party candidates win races, that will just embolden them.

I honestly wonder if Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell's thinking here is "let's let the donks re-take the house in November, then we can dump Trump without pissing off quite as many people".
The GOP would still have Trump sticking around for two more years and if the GOP booted him off the ticket in the 2020 election that would be an automatic concession of that election as Trump would still stick around as an independent and split the GOP vote. And heck, having Pelosi as the Speaker of the House again could actually help Trump in 2020. They can't run away from him now. And frankly, it all matters who the Dems find to put up against him. There's not a lot of Democrats lining up to do that right now other than Biden - Warren looks like her star is fading, at least as a national candidate. Bernie would be seen as a Russian proxy and that gets in the way of calling Trump a Russian proxy. And running a moderate on the Presidential ticket could really piss off the far left - running a blue dog in a Congressional district in PA is fine, running the same type of candidate on a national ticket would be seen as a violation of principles.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:the Wash Times (I had no idea that was a newspaper)
No longer a print version. It was owned by the Moonies.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:the Wash Times (I had no idea that was a newspaper)
No longer a print version. It was owned by the Moonies.
It did seem a little loopy. :thumb:
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

GannonFan wrote:
89Hen wrote: No longer a print version. It was owned by the Moonies.
It was actually a great paper for conservatives.
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Pwns wrote:I think the GOP losses are being pooh poohed too much. A lot of these donks are conservative but they could easily be arm-twisted by donk leaders in congress or a future donk president to do things their platforms would suggest they wouldn't do (see the Obamacare vote). And you know some deep-blue districts are going to have their versions of tea party candidates win races, that will just embolden them.

One more thing...I haven't followed this race at all but I betcha a zillion bucks Lamb never once uttered the words "war on wimmin™" or "systemic racism".

If Trump's voters really were just a bunch of xenophobic racists why would they vote for a Democrat?

HHHHHHHHmmmm......
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

89Hen wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
It was actually a great paper for conservatives.
There's a joke there, I just know it! :rofl: