How Long Will The Shutdown Last? (Dec 2018)

Political discussions

How long will the shutdown last?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:15 pm

Less than a week (open by Dec 28)
10%
1 to <2 weeks (open by Jan 4)
7%
2 to <3 weeks (open by Jan 11)
17%
3 to <4 weeks (open by Jan 18)
7%
4 to <5 weeks (open by Jan 25)
No votes
5 to <6 weeks (open by Feb 2)
10%
6 or more weeks
48%

Total votes: 29

Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: How Long Will The Shutdown Last? (Dec 2018)

Post by Ivytalk »

GannonFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:
I stand corrected. Senate votes today. House likely tomorrow.
Good thing we didn't wager money on this or it would be one of those gambling conspiracies. Trump has to sign it to become official, so that could be after this Saturday, pushing it into the column of those who voted 5 weeks.
I actually paid off a bet to Jellybelly a couple years back. I think it wa the first cash money seen in the town of Blowing Rock that year.
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

The more I think about this the more I think it’s a brilliant move by Trump. Trump now gets to do his SOTU address. He can sit up there and say, with Pelosi sitting right behind him, in front of a national TV audience on every network: “The democrats said they would negotiate only after the govt was fully reopened. So I temporary fully reopened the govt. I am willing to negotiate and compromise”. And turn and look at Pelosi and ask “Are you willing to negotiate and compromise” as she just has to sit there. And he can also make his case for more physical barrier on the border, point out that he's only asking to go from 700ish miles of physical barrier to 900+, and hammer donks on immigration, to a national TV audience on every network.

And then after the 3 weeks is up, and if the democrats still refuse to compromise and say zero $$ for additional physical barrier, on Feb 15 when the govt partially shuts down again, he can say, “See, the democrats lied when they said that if the government was reopened they would negotiate.

So basically in 3 weeks we’d be right back to where we are now, but he’ll have had the opportunity do his SOTU, to sway public opinion more to his side and show that the whole democrat stance of “reopen the government and then we’ll negotiate” was a lie, and they wouldn't be able to use that angle again.

Brilliant move by Trump.. :nod:
Last edited by BDKJMU on Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

BDKJMU wrote:The more I think about this the more I think it’s a brilliant move by Trump. Trump now gets to do his SOTU address. He can sit up there and say, with Pelosi sitting right behind him, in front of a national TV audience on every network: “The democrats said they would negotiate only after the govt was fully reopened. So I temporary fully reopened the govt. I am willing to negotiate and compromise”. And turn and look at Pelosi and ask “Are you willing to negotiate and compromise” as she just has to sit there. And he can also make his case for more physical barrier on the border, point out that he's only asking to go from 700ish miles of physical barrier to 900+, and hammer donks on immigration, to a national TV audience on every network.

And then after the 3 weeks is up, and if the democrats still refuse to compromise and say zero $$ for additional physical barrier, on Feb 15 when the govt partially shuts down again, he can say, “See, the democrats lied when they said that if the government was reopened they would negotiate.

So basically in 3 weeks we’d be right back to where we are now, but he’ll have had the opportunity do his SOTU, to sway public opinion more to his side and show that the whole democrat stance of “reopen the government and then we’ll negotiate” was a lie.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Only a blind Cult45er like you would think this is a brilliant move.
:thumb:
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

Lol. BDK. :rofl:

Do you not get that he could have done all that without shutting the government down for a month and becoming Nancy's bitch?

"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Skjellyfetti wrote:Lol. BDK. :rofl:

Do you not get that he could have done all that without shutting the government down for a month
You think the donks would have been willing to negotiate and compromise with no government shutdown. :dunce: :rofl: It still would have been zero $$ for any physical barrier..

The donks weren't willing to compromise before the shutdown and during the shutdown. They won't be willing to compromise during the next 3 weeks, or in Sept for FY 2020, or for FY 2021..There's going to be more shutdownS.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

dbackjon wrote:Only a blind Cult45er like you would think this is a brilliant move.
I agree, but you should not cast any stones Jon.
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

BDKJMU wrote:

Do you not get that he could have done all that without shutting the government down for a month
You think the donks would have been willing to negotiate and compromise with no government shutdown. :dunce: :rofl: It still would have been zero $$ for any physical barrier..

The donks weren't willing to compromise before the shutdown and during the shutdown. They won't be willing to compromise during the next 3 weeks, or in Sept for FY 2020, or for FY 2021..There's going to be more shutdownS.

You know the shutdown began before Donks controlled the House, right?

The Senate passed a very similar compromise before Christmas to fund the government through Feb 8 by unanimous consent. The House didn't bring it to the floor for a vote because Trump threw a temper tantrum.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 336303002/
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:The more I think about this the more I think it’s a brilliant move by Trump. Trump now gets to do his SOTU address. He can sit up there and say, with Pelosi sitting right behind him, in front of a national TV audience on every network: “The democrats said they would negotiate only after the govt was fully reopened. So I temporary fully reopened the govt. I am willing to negotiate and compromise”. And turn and look at Pelosi and ask “Are you willing to negotiate and compromise” as she just has to sit there. And he can also make his case for more physical barrier on the border, point out that he's only asking to go from 700ish miles of physical barrier to 900+, and hammer donks on immigration, to a national TV audience on every network.

So basically in 3 weeks we’d be right back to where we are now, but he’ll have had the opportunity do his SOTU, to sway public opinion more to his side and show that the whole democrat stance of “reopen the government and then we’ll negotiate” was a lie, and they wouldn't be able to use that angle again.

Brilliant move to open the government without the wall money after he said he wouldn’t sign a bill without that money? He caved.

The SOTU is theater. It won’t sway anyone anymore than a debate does.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

BDKJMU wrote:

I don’t remember but is this new bill going to be better than what the Senate passed in December!

Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Ibanez wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: You think the donks would have been willing to negotiate and compromise with no government shutdown. :dunce: :rofl: It still would have been zero $$ for any physical barrier..

I don’t remember but is this new bill going to be better than what the Senate passed in December!

Yes! Bigly!
Silenoz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana

Post by Silenoz »

:rofl: :rofl:

Goonies never say die
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

Skjellyfetti wrote:
BDKJMU wrote: You think the donks would have been willing to negotiate and compromise with no government shutdown. :dunce: :rofl: It still would have been zero $$ for any physical barrier..

You know the shutdown began before Donks controlled the House, right?

The Senate passed a very similar compromise before Christmas to fund the government through Feb 8 by unanimous consent. The House didn't bring it to the floor for a vote because Trump threw a temper tantrum.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/pol ... 336303002/
Facts confuse the Cult45er
:thumb:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Reps. Gerry Connolly, D-Va., and Steny Hoyer, D-Md., introduced the Federal Civilian Workforce Pay Raise Fairness Act of 2019. The legislation, introduced today, would bring this year’s pay increase for civilian Federal employees in line with the raise given to members of the military. Currently, under President Trump’s pay freeze, civilian employees will see no pay raise, while members of the military received a 2.6 pay increase for the 2019 calendar year.

“Federal employees have dedicated their lives and careers in service to the American people,” said Connolly. “We must provide the entire Federal workforce with a pay increase worthy of their selfless commitment to the betterment of the American public. The Federal Civilian Workforce Pay Raise Fairness Act reaffirms our conviction that public servants–civilian and military alike–deserve better than the shutdowns, furloughs, and pay freezes forced upon them by the Trump administration.”
https://www.meritalk.com/articles/reps- ... aise-bill/
phpBB [video]
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Bottom line is that it's a good thing for our country that the Democrats were able to prevail on the point of re-opening government prior to negotiations. My guess is it's going to be tough to make a deal because I think the Democrats are going to stick to the "no additional wall" or "no additional barrier" or whatever one wants to call it position. I think they'll try to provide generous funding for other things like more border patrol agents, etc. And I think they'll provide funding for maintaining existing wall/barrier.

I am hoping that Trump is not foolish enough to take the "fund my wall or I'm shutting the government down" position again. All it got him this last time was going from being 8.8 percentage points under water in the Job Approval - Disapproval number on December 11 when he had the infamous "I will take the mantle" meeting with Democrat leaders to being 14.5 percentage points under water now (Real Clear Politics average as seen at https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epoll ... -6179.html.

I doubt it happens but now that the Republicans aren't in control of the House the "Gang of Eight" thing might fly.

If I had to bet I'd bet Trump plays the "national emergency" card before he tries the shutdown gambit again. He just got burned pretty badly. Then, as the conventional wisdom goes, he'll be able to blame the Judiciary for not being able to get it done.
Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

BDKJMU wrote:

What compromise? Nancy takes his balls out of her purse and lets him wear them for the SOTU speech?

:lol:

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

BTW I do wish the left leaning media as well as Democrats would back off on gloating. Stop with the stuff about Pelosi kicking his ass. Yes, I know I said it on this message board but that's different. They need to avoid publicly humiliating Trump. They need to bear in mind that they are dealing with a mentally unstable person with a big ego and nothing good can come of it. Once we hopefully get him out of office it's fine to let loose. But right now he's still in position to cause a lot of shat. They should be doing what they can to help him save face to the extent possible.
Could I ever be a star?

houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

Ivytalk wrote:
GannonFan wrote:
Good thing we didn't wager money on this or it would be one of those gambling conspiracies. Trump has to sign it to become official, so that could be after this Saturday, pushing it into the column of those who voted 5 weeks.
I actually paid off a bet to Jellybelly a couple years back. I think it wa the first cash money seen in the town of Blowing Rock that year.
As the first to pick correct date, each contestant should send the bourbon to me - assuming the deal isn't finished by midnight. PM me for the address of get it from Z man or the Colonel. :coffee:
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:If I had to bet I'd bet Trump plays the "national emergency" card before he tries the shutdown gambit again. He just got burned pretty badly. Then, as the conventional wisdom goes, he'll be able to blame the Judiciary for not being able to get it done.
I'd say that's absolutely what will happen. He even laid that out in his speech today.

The guy only cares about two things:
1. His ever-shrinking base
2. His ever-shrinking poll numbers

The emergency declaration is his only way to (temporarily) save face.

And of course that will almost immediately get wacked by the Judiciary.

He's a lame duck President, and in that regard, I do feel a little bit sorry for him

Psych! :lol:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :lmao:

The 6.93 POTY
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

JohnStOnge wrote:BTW I do wish the left leaning media as well as Democrats would back off on gloating. Stop with the stuff about Pelosi kicking his ass. Yes, I know I said it on this message board but that's different. They need to avoid publicly humiliating Trump. They need to bear in mind that they are dealing with a mentally unstable person with a big ego and nothing good can come of it. Once we hopefully get him out of office it's fine to let loose. But right now he's still in position to cause a lot of shat. They should be doing what they can to help him save face to the extent possible.
What about her keeping his balls in her purse? Does that count? :rofl:

He can save face later - first there is a whole bunch of getting even that going to happen. He has pissed off a lot of people bigly. :coffee:
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

houndawg wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:BTW I do wish the left leaning media as well as Democrats would back off on gloating. Stop with the stuff about Pelosi kicking his ass. Yes, I know I said it on this message board but that's different. They need to avoid publicly humiliating Trump. They need to bear in mind that they are dealing with a mentally unstable person with a big ego and nothing good can come of it. Once we hopefully get him out of office it's fine to let loose. But right now he's still in position to cause a lot of shat. They should be doing what they can to help him save face to the extent possible.

He can save face later - first there is a whole bunch of getting even that going to happen. He has pissed off a lot of people bigly. :coffee:
It's fine if people like us on message boards say stuff but the media and Democrat leadership should be facilitating him saving face at this point. That would be best for the country.

Now, if we get to the point where the Republicans in Congress will grow spines and start slapping him down when he does crazy things that will no longer be necessary. But he could turn around three weeks from now and cause the same kind of shat he just caused if they're not going to do that.
Could I ever be a star?

93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

JohnStOnge wrote:
houndawg wrote:

It's fine if people like us on message boards say stuff but the media and Democrat leadership should be facilitating him saving face at this point. That would be best for the country.

Now, if we get to the point where the Republicans in Congress will grow spines and start slapping him down when he does crazy things that will no longer be necessary. But he could turn around three weeks from now and cause the same kind of shat he just caused if they're not going to do that.
If you turn on CSPAN2 right now, you'd find the Democrats not rubbing it in his face, but rather stating that the shutdown was foolish, painful, expensive, dangerous, embarrassing and accomplished nothing. I think that's the right tact.

They should also offer up lots of money for border security, for beefing up existing wall, but with a stipulation for not one inch of new wall. You don't give an extortionist one inch.
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

If you turn on CSPAN2 right now, you'd find the Democrats not rubbing it in his face, but rather stating that the shutdown was foolish, painful, expensive, dangerous, embarrassing and accomplished nothing. I think that's the right tact.

They should also offer up lots of money for border security, for beefing up existing wall, but with a stipulation for not one inch of new wall. You don't give an extortionist one inch.
Joke's on you, he already has one!
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian

Post by JohnStOnge »

93henfan wrote:
JohnStOnge wrote:

Agreed. I actually wish that Pelosi hadn't staked at a "no money at all for wall" position so that they could negotiate with no pre-existing conditions and they could go ahead and give him SOMETHING if it would help the situation. Once the government is open extortion is no longer in place so it'd be good if they had some flexibility.
Could I ever be a star?

CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Grizalltheway wrote:
Pwns wrote:
Gradually going from a figurative shutdown to a literal one.

Question: Didn't we during the Obama years basically have a "kick-the-can-down-the-road" bill to fund the government in the interim until a budget (or debt ceiling raising or whatever) can be agreed upon? Why can't that be done now?
Dems are willing to negotiate once the government is funded. The Trump baby won't have any of that.
Wait - you mean Pelosi has some kind of political cover to come off of her “no wall, no discussion” stance she staked out a few weeks ago?

"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris