Political discussions
Ivytalk
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Salisbury University

Re: Tesla vs. Ford...

Post by Ivytalk »

Chizzang wrote:
Ivytalk wrote: Look what we have here. A hippy Louis Rukeyser with pressed jeans. A coffee-addled, cheap
imitation of Jim Kramer. :roll: Any other investment advice to share?
Fair enough...
I'll still be around here in 12 months
Care to make a friendly wager..? (I accept paypal)

Lets say:
You win if the stock is below $200
anything over $200 but below $250 is a push
and anything $250 and above I win

and the bet is for $100 dollars :geek:
What about splits? Like we just got on GOOG
Only works if we disregard splits.
I'm thinking...and I've never lost an investment bet
“I’m tired and done.” — 89Hen 3/27/22.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

Ivytalk wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Fair enough...
I'll still be around here in 12 months
Care to make a friendly wager..? (I accept paypal)

Lets say:
You win if the stock is below $200
anything over $200 but below $250 is a push
and anything $250 and above I win

and the bet is for $100 dollars :geek:
What about splits? Like we just got on GOOG
Only works if we disregard splits.
I'm thinking...and I've never lost an investment bet
You've never lost an investment bet (really) Hmmm... this might be your first Ivy
It splits in 36 months... we've got time - but agreed, the bet is off if it splits
So it looks like AZ is taking the over (a wise move)

So are you in..? :geek:
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
You interested in getting in on Ivytalk and Chizzang betting action there AZ..?
I'd take the over on Tesla. :nod: :nod: In a year they will have:

a) filled out their supercharging stations across the country rather nicely
b) launched their mid-range priced SUV
c) located a spot for their new proprietary battery facility (hopefully San Antonio!) and
d) hopefully gotten out of the courts with their dealership battles...

The future looks bright. :nod:

Shhh... ZIP it :shock: I'm trying to take money from Ivy

HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Chizzang wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
Yep. Reported loss of almost 50 million 1st qtr...
Riiiiiiight... Okay Ivy is allowed to stumble but you're the least informed poster on this forum :mrgreen:
Do you know how much TELSA spent from their capital on their new battery plant..?

So they "lost" $50 Mil in Q1 / But also just spent $82 Mil earmarked as Battery R&D and "investments"
They would have been profitable had they elected to NOT buy a giant battery company and invest in building the new Battery plant site

that should clear things up a little bit right..?
Because in 48 months Tesla is going to be the largest battery company in the WORLD
Not in America - in the world

Try to have some vision...

:coffee:
Being the battery company is going to be a bigger deal than the cars. If they get the cost down enough so it becomes competitive for things like grid storage it will be HUGE.

There are a few risks - a few lithium ion fires or if a new storage technology breakthrough comes out right after their factory is built.

I still wouldn't bet against them though.
Last edited by HI54UNI on Fri May 09, 2014 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Riiiiiiight... Okay Ivy is allowed to stumble but you're the least informed poster on this forum :mrgreen:
Do you know how much TELSA spent from their capital on their new battery plant..?

So they "lost" $50 Mil in Q1 / But also just spent $82 Mil earmarked as Battery R&D and "investments"
They would have been profitable had they elected to NOT buy a giant battery company and invest in building the new Battery plant site

that should clear things up a little bit right..?
Because in 48 months Tesla is going to be the largest battery company in the WORLD
Not in America - in the world

Try to have some vision...

Quit being a dick. Just tell him Fox News lost hundreds of millions it's first few years and he'll understand
Or that Amazon has never actually turned a profit. Dark days ahead for them. :coffee:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

Does it matter if a company like Amazon shows a profit when Jeff Bezos is a billionaire, thousands are employed, and stockholders are happy?

Regarding Tesla, if they can stay in business long enough to make the equivalent of a $35k (equivalent in today's dollars) family sedan, they will be here to stay. I'm sure that is what they're working toward.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

93henfan wrote:Does it matter if a company like Amazon shows a profit when Jeff Bezos is a billionaire, thousands are employed, and stockholders are happy?

Regarding Tesla, if they can stay in business long enough to make the equivalent of a $35k (equivalent in today's dollars) family sedan, they will be here to stay. I'm sure that is what they're working toward.
Agreed,
Amazon takes every penny of profit and spends it on new sh!t... like the Kindle Fire tablet and Fire TV server device and Amazon Prime Video service and their soon to be launched phone

They spend it as fast as it comes in... all on NEW stuff to expand their clientele base
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

Chizzang wrote:
Ibanez wrote:It's not as large or as bad ass as the Tesla?
Well yes, that... (true)
but the Ford Escape has less range on a full tank than any Tesla being made right now
and the Ford Escape is one of the best selling vehicles in the Ford lineup

Where's StWrong..?

First of all, I read that display as indicating that the gas tank is not full. If so the estimated mileage to empty in that case is not the full range of the vehicle.

Second, the range is not as important with a gasoline powered vehicle because it takes about 5 minutes to recharge and there are gas stations everywhere to do that. The figure below shows where Tesla plans to have supercharging stations available by the end of 2015. At first glance that looks like a lot. But I think most of us can see trips we might want to make that would create issues even if they were to try to carefully plan.

And with a gasoline powered vehicle one thing you don't have to worry about is carefully planning where you're going to "recharge" your vehicle. Then when you do "recharge" it you're talking about a very quick process.

With Tesla, if you're on a road trip, you're going to have limited options with respect to where you stop to recharge and when you do stop it's going to be at least a half hour. Then, as we said in the other thread, that half hour is not going to give you a full recharge. You're not going to have the fully charged range before you have to stop again.

If you go to the Tesla site page at http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#roadtrips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and scroll down some you will see that the rapid charging stations give you about 170 miles with about 30 minutes of charging. Now think about that if you're on a road trip. That combined with the fact that when you really think about it those dots on the figure below do not represent a lot of locations. Like there are maybe 14 or 15 in Southern California and most areas of the country don't have that. Otherwise, depending on whether or not you're using a 110 or a 240 volt outlet you're talking about something on the order of 20 to 29 miles per hour of charging.

Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

HI54UNI wrote:
Chizzang wrote:
Good lord you're a nut-ball
The car has an 12 gallon tank - Ford Eco-boost Esape 4wd 2013
it gets 25 miles to the gallon
it has 270 something miles of total RANGE per tankful

:ohno:

This isn't a conspiracy - it's a FORD ESCAPE 2013 Eco-Boost with 4wd
the only point I'm trying to MAKE is - it's got less range than a TESLA
Just because you only put 12 gallons in doesn't mean it only holds 12 gallons. It holds 15.1 gallons

http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/2013/sp ... apacities/

Depending on which Eco-Boost it has the mpg is 22/30 or 21/28.

http://www.ford.com/suvs/escape/2013/specifications/

So the range is 332/453 or 317/422

Carry on with your making **** up. :coffee: :roll:
My Tacoma's owner's manual says it has a 21 gallon tank but it has an 18 gallon tank. Just sayin'...
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

:pissed: I am hating you so hard right now..!!!

:wall:

On a serious note-

If you were an auto maker

Would you engineer your distance till empty gauge to be wrong low, or wrong high?
According to FAA regs an airplane's gas gauge only has to be accurate when it reads empty.
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

AZGrizFan wrote:
clenz wrote: So you're elitist ass can stay out of an Escape then. Go buy another truck with 32 inch wheels then bitch about that gas mileage.
My you are a touchy little **** tonight. :coffee:
I've never seen him get like that about anything except another UNI loss to SIU. (5 in the past 7 years).

Dude needs to get his scrotum out of his wife's purse. :ohno:

Tell her all the other guys at CS.com get to wear theirs.. :coffee:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

CID1990 wrote:HAH HAH HAH This thread is fvcking DELIVERING

Chizz starts a sh1tstorm over how many mile you can get per fillup on a poor mans SUV
Thats why I love this place. :thumb:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

JohnStOnge wrote:
First of all, I read that display as indicating that the gas tank is not full. If so the estimated mileage to empty in that case is not the full range of the vehicle.

Second, the range is not as important with a gasoline powered vehicle because it takes about 5 minutes to recharge and there are gas stations everywhere to do that. The figure below shows where Tesla plans to have supercharging stations available by the end of 2015. At first glance that looks like a lot. But I think most of us can see trips we might want to make that would create issues even if they were to try to carefully plan.

And with a gasoline powered vehicle one thing you don't have to worry about is carefully planning where you're going to "recharge" your vehicle. Then when you do "recharge" it you're talking about a very quick process.

With Tesla, if you're on a road trip, you're going to have limited options with respect to where you stop to recharge and when you do stop it's going to be at least a half hour. Then, as we said in the other thread, that half hour is not going to give you a full recharge. You're not going to have the fully charged range before you have to stop again.

If you go to the Tesla site page at http://www.teslamotors.com/goelectric#roadtrips" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and scroll down some you will see that the rapid charging stations give you about 170 miles with about 30 minutes of charging. Now think about that if you're on a road trip. That combined with the fact that when you really think about it those dots on the figure below do not represent a lot of locations. Like there are maybe 14 or 15 in Southern California and most areas of the country don't have that. Otherwise, depending on whether or not you're using a 110 or a 240 volt outlet you're talking about something on the order of 20 to 29 miles per hour of charging.

:mrgreen:

Dude... thank you so much
I've been waiting three days for that little nugget

:notworthy:
houndawg
Level5
Level5

Post by houndawg »

clenz wrote:
clenz wrote: Image

Honestly though - that initial picture is either:

1. Shopped
2. Having a sensor issue
3. Just filled up and the distance is catching up with reading how full the tank is (Which happens)
4. They drive like a **** dee-dee-dee
Chizzang wrote:
Have him take a picture of the range calculator after he fills the tank please
Until then - I call bullsh!t on you - I have about 100% more evidence than you do to support my claim

You have hearsay and the FORD website

besides witnessing it with my own eyes
This FORD Escape has a small tank / 4WD / Eco-boost / and under 300 miles of range
These are all ^ FACTS
here you go cheese dick

Watched him drive across the street to the gas station, fill up and drive back and then immediately take the picture

Is that good enough?

Or are you going to Spanos me and tell me that isn't good enough
Is it 4WD?
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

Tesla may have found a way to boost its own market

We now know about the “controversial” step forward Elon Musk promised he would take.

While five states are fighting to get Tesla’s $5B battery factory, Tesla founder Elon Musk promised that supercharger patents will be open. This means that anybody who wants to do development around this technology will be able to use it, very likely for a fee. This decision is important for three reasons:

1) The electric car industry is not about batteries and wheels but about a whole environment in the development of which broad availability of charging stations is essential. Charging requires establishing numerous electric and connection rules. Fighting around these rules is a serious impediment to the development and installation of charging stations. This decision could have an impact on the whole charging industry.

2) Tesla thinks it has a competitive advantage in charging technology and making the technology available will help the company keep ahead of the curve in triggering third party developments and, more importantly, it will give it a chance to control its market; in an ideal world, all chargers will become “Tesla compliant/compatible”.

3) Tesla confirms that its core business is electric vehicles.

Elon Musk probably learned the lessons from the numerous companies in the past that unsuccessfully choose a proprietary strategy vs. an open strategy; Sony Betamax vs. VHS and IBM PS2 against the PC being two of the best known cases.

No doubt the EV market needs a boost. Will this decision be enough? At the end of the day, customers need to like the product. Making more supercharging stations available is one good step forward but the EV market will not take off as a mass market as long as EV’s will have limited autonomy and will cost an arm and a leg. According to Tesla a charge from a superchargers offer up to 170 miles of autonomy (to a Tesla car) in 30 minutes of charging. It is better than most conventional car/charger combination but not enough yet to turn EV’s into a mass market; too short an autonomy for too much time of charging.

http://smartgrid-ci.com/tesla-may-found ... st-market/
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Tesla will never be successful.... Oh wait (never mind)

and their stock will get back to $250 in the next 12 months
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:Tesla will never be successful.... Oh wait (never mind)

and their stock will get back to $250 in the next 12 months
It better or I'm calling Musk and getting my $100 back from him.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
Skjellyfetti
Anal
Anal
I am a fan of: Appalachian

Post by Skjellyfetti »

$35,000 Tesla III in 2017

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcne ... g-in-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The unmasking thing was all created by Devin Nunes"
- Richard Burr, (R-NC)
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Skjellyfetti wrote:$35,000 Tesla III in 2017

http://www.forbes.com/sites/gregorymcne ... g-in-2017/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where can I pre-book? :notworthy:
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

We keep chasing the year

It was 2015 at one point
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

Who are you to question the free market?
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:

We keep chasing the year

It was 2015 at one point

The girlfriend would have purchased a Tesla instead of the Audi but didn't want to wait 90 days to get it...
The Tesla dealers in the North West are selling cars so fast they can't get enough of them

:nod: true story
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

Chizzang wrote:The Tesla dealers in the North West are selling cars so fast they can't get enough of them
Same here.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Tesla stock is doing the roller coaster bullshit ride
as bulk traders are using it for daily "flips and buybacks"

Wall Street Scum... legally stealing peoples money
and completely endorsed and sponsored by our Federal Government

:ohno:
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

93henfan wrote: Regarding Tesla, if they can stay in business long enough to make the equivalent of a $35k (equivalent in today's dollars) family sedan, they will be here to stay. I'm sure that is what they're working toward.
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-