Political discussions
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Re: Govt sells last of GM shares, taxpayers 10.5 billion los

Post by SDHornet »

Chizzang wrote:
SDHornet wrote: This, which is an issue I failed to point out earlier. The Gov selected to back a company that couldn’t keep pace in the global economy. Instead of letting it go under and letting the vultures pick the profitable/useful pieces off of its rotting bones, we as taxpayers are keeping the whole broke dick company afloat. Time will tell if GM can get its shit together and compete with other auto manufacturers but bailing them out offered them no such favors. If GM fails again, does the Gov step in again?

Agreed ^
It was imperative that it be left to fail
And as you said, the good bits get re-sorted and re-launched
under better management and new labor deals

The GM debacle will go down in U.S. History as a failed government intervention
Which is a knock against the idea that everyone that had anything to do with GM would have lost their job.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

I think what's more important is the long-term economic impact. Was keeping GM open worth the 10.5 billion invested? How much money will suppliers, dealers, workers, engineers, designers, businessmen, lawyers, auditors, and other people put back into the economy because they didn't lose their jobs? Did GM create any new innovations that will technologically/economically benefit the US in the future? Did saving GM 'cause more US students to benefit because they didn't lose internships and other means of being educated? (Regardless of how you view GM, they do educate a large number of next-generation engineers, technologists, etc.)

These are only a few of the questions I'd like answered; I'm not sure if a study that in-depth has been made. However, my gut feeling is that it ends up being worth the 10.5 billion in long run. :twocents:
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

∞∞∞ wrote:I think what's more important is the long-term economic impact. Was keeping GM open worth the 10.5 billion invested? How much money will suppliers, dealers, workers, engineers, designers, businessmen, lawyers, auditors, and other people put back into the economy because they didn't lose their jobs? Did GM create any new innovations that will technologically/economically benefit the US in the future? Did saving GM 'cause more US students to benefit because they didn't lose internships and other means of being educated? (Regardless of how you view GM, they do educate a large number of next-generation engineers, technologists, etc.)

These are only a few of the questions I'd like answered; I'm not sure if a study that in-depth has been made. However, my gut feeling is that it ends up being worth the 10.5 billion in long run. :twocents:
But what we'll never know now is...
We might have the single greatest automotive company in the world - had we let GM get divided up into new companies and re-create themselves under new management and Labor

What we do know is this:
We have the same old GM - still acting like nothing happened
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

Chizzang wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote:I think what's more important is the long-term economic impact. Was keeping GM open worth the 10.5 billion invested? How much money will suppliers, dealers, workers, engineers, designers, businessmen, lawyers, auditors, and other people put back into the economy because they didn't lose their jobs? Did GM create any new innovations that will technologically/economically benefit the US in the future? Did saving GM 'cause more US students to benefit because they didn't lose internships and other means of being educated? (Regardless of how you view GM, they do educate a large number of next-generation engineers, technologists, etc.)

We might have the single greatest automotive company in the world - had we let GM get divided up into new companies and re-create themselves under new management and Labor

What we do know is this:
I don't think that's true. The quality of GM's products are significantly better than pre-bailout, and I believe sales have reflected that over the last few years. They're also doing extremely well in China and other emerging markets which might end up being huge in the long run. Plus there's nothing bad about foreign money being (largely) funneled into the US.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

What we do know is this:
I don't think that's true. The quality of GM's products are significantly better than pre-bailout, and I believe sales have reflected that over the last few years. They're also doing extremely well in China and other emerging markets which might end up being huge in the long run. Plus there's nothing bad about foreign money being (largely) funneled into the US.
That could have happened minus the $10B+ in lost taxpayer "investment".
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

You are also assuming all those people are competent and deserving of working at a top notch automotive company. House could have been cleaned for a leaner, more efficient company to rise from the ashes.
∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

SDHornet wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I don't think that's true. The quality of GM's products are significantly better than pre-bailout, and I believe sales have reflected that over the last few years. They're also doing extremely well in China and other emerging markets which might end up being huge in the long run. Plus there's nothing bad about foreign money being (largely) funneled into the US.
I completely agree, but I do think that GM was ultimately too big to fail (again, gut feeling). Is that a slippery slope concerning the US' biggest corporations? Perhaps. However, I trust the economists, lawyers, judges, and other peeps who are experts in these things make that call.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SDHornet »

∞∞∞ wrote:
SDHornet wrote: That could have happened minus the $10B+ in lost taxpayer "investment".
I completely agree, but I do think that GM was ultimately too big to fail (again, gut feeling). Is that a slippery slope concerning the US' biggest corporations? Perhaps. However, I trust the economists, lawyers, judges, and other peeps who are experts in these things make that call.
Sad thing is I doubt those people made the call. Probably lobbyists had the biggest sway.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
If someone takes $100 from you every year, and then one year they take $50, is that giving you $50?
If someone overpays you for your grain and helps you out with crop insurance or sends their Navy to insure safe passage of your product and helps pay for the clean up of your contaminants while charging a teacher a higher tax rate on her income, are you a capitalist?
Nice dodge. Silly liberal logic where:
-Taking less = giving
-Govt taking less = gov't spending
:roll: :dunce:
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Yes it is.
Classic donk ideology.
Yep.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Chizzang wrote:

What we do know is this:
Spot fucking ON. :nod: :nod:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5

Post by BDKJMU »

How many jobs among suppliers, dealers, workers, engineers, designers, businessmen, lawyers, auditors, and other people weren't gained from a leaner company emerging from the ashes, and additional new and newly expanded auto companies mostly in the south (above the new and expanded ones that have sprung up in the last 4 years) that would have taken up the slack by increasing output more than they currently have?

There should be no bailouts, period, no matter how big the company, no matter what industry. We need to get rid of too big to fail mantra which encourages risky behavior knowing that if all goes to sh*t, big govt will ride to the rescue. Sets a horrible precedent, sometimes propping up a company that will ultimately fail anyway down the road...
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Post by danefan »

Chizzang wrote:

What we do know is this:
How much of that is the government's fault versus the management of GM?
Compare and contrast to AIG.....bailed out and completely rebuilt as a leaner more focused company. also turned a hefty profit for the taxpayers.

Same government....different company leadership.

One big glaring difference is the union presence. AIG was not hampered in the US by any unions.
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

BDKJMU wrote:

How many jobs among suppliers, dealers, workers, engineers, designers, businessmen, lawyers, auditors, and other people weren't gained from a leaner company emerging from the ashes, and additional new and newly expanded auto companies mostly in the south (above the new and expanded ones that have sprung up in the last 4 years) that would have taken up the slack by increasing output more than they currently have?

There should be no bailouts, period, no matter how big the company, no matter what industry. We need to get rid of too big to fail mantra which encourages risky behavior knowing that if all goes to sh*t, big govt will ride to the rescue. Sets a horrible precedent, sometimes propping up a company that will ultimately fail anyway down the road...
:rofl: In the not too distant future our government won't be around to bail them out.
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

danefan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

What we do know is this:
Compare and contrast to AIG.....bailed out and completely rebuilt as a leaner more focused company. also turned a hefty profit for the taxpayers.

One big glaring difference is the union presence. AIG was not hampered in the US by any unions.
The fact that that wasn't a REQUIREMENT of the bailout shows just how retarded our government really is.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

BDKJMU wrote:
kalm wrote:
If someone overpays you for your grain and helps you out with crop insurance or sends their Navy to insure safe passage of your product and helps pay for the clean up of your contaminants while charging a teacher a higher tax rate on her income, are you a capitalist?
-Taking less = giving
Congratulations on supporting a government that picks winners and losers through taxation and infrastructure investments... Yaaaaay free market! :lol: :dunce:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
BDKJMU wrote:
-Taking less = giving
Congratulations on supporting a government that picks winners and losers through taxation and infrastructure investments... Yaaaaay free market! :lol: :dunce:
Incenting a company to do something by "allowing" them to keep more of their profits isn't even remotely the same thing as ensuring that they'll get government (aka: taxpayer) cash infusions should they fuck up and do stupid shit. Really, it's not that complicated, klammy.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

danefan wrote:
Chizzang wrote:

What we do know is this:

Not a big fan of bailouts in general, but how much of AIG's was due to bloat and how much was due to greed?

(Honest question)
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

AZGrizFan wrote:
kalm wrote:
Incenting a company to do something by "allowing" them to keep more of their profits isn't even remotely the same thing as ensuring that they'll get government (aka: taxpayer) cash infusions should they fuck up and do stupid shit. Really, it's not that complicated, klammy.
It's really the same thing. Either you can stand on your own without ANY government assistance or you can't. One gives you the $'s every year and one only in case of an emergency.

* Conk meme notwithstanding.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

kalm wrote:
danefan wrote:

Not a big fan of bailouts in general, but how much of AIG's was due to bloat and how much was due to greed?

(Honest question)
The size of the losses was mostly due to greed by a few individuals and lack of risk management at the top. The inability to respond (monetize assets quick enough to cover the collateral calls) was due to bloat. AIG's balance sheet was relatively strong in 2008. It just wasn't liquid...or should I say...no one could tell quickly enough where the liquidity was.
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

U.S. taxpayers no longer own any of automaker General Motors. The Treasury sold the last of its remaining 31.1 million GM shares today.
Just curious. Why did the government sell the shares when they did? Why not wait another year and possibly reap the benefits of a higher price per share? Was there a time limit? The price is currently at a peak of it's post-bailout era. The Treasury sold the "remaining 31.1 million shares" recently out of the 500 million shares it once had. When did they sell the other 469 million shares? When it was half the current price?

This result seems like poor investment strategy more than anything.
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

SDHornet wrote:
∞∞∞ wrote: I don't think that's true. The quality of GM's products are significantly better than pre-bailout, and I believe sales have reflected that over the last few years. They're also doing extremely well in China and other emerging markets which might end up being huge in the long run. Plus there's nothing bad about foreign money being (largely) funneled into the US.
I'm not for or against, but what is the economic impact of yearly, Federal, economic impact of GM?

Either way, for our government to loan money and just say, "You know that last $10B, you keep it" is absurd. I wish my bank would tell me that.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

CAA Flagship wrote:
U.S. taxpayers no longer own any of automaker General Motors. The Treasury sold the last of its remaining 31.1 million GM shares today.
Just curious. Why did the government sell the shares when they did? Why not wait another year and possibly reap the benefits of a higher price per share? Was there a time limit? The price is currently at a peak of it's post-bailout era. The Treasury sold the "remaining 31.1 million shares" recently out of the 500 million shares it once had. When did they sell the other 469 million shares? When it was half the current price?

They had been selling throughout the year. I think every month, the Treasury sold more and more stock.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by AZGrizFan »

kalm wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
It's really the same thing. Either you can stand on your own without ANY government assistance or you can't. One gives you the $'s every year and one only in case of an emergency.

* Conk meme notwithstanding.
You are blurring lines, my friend. Tax rules are tax rules. Incentives for infrastructure investments are typically short-term. Subsidies are another animal altogether (and I'm not a fan of THOSE either). But bailouts set an extremely dangerous precedent that (much like subsidies) fundamentally changes the industry's thought process as to how to manage the business and how much risk/expense to take on.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

CAA Flagship wrote:

I believe it was a set timeframe to avoid driving the market. They did the same thing with AIG stock. Being a huge shareholder but not trying to interrupt the private marketplace on the exit like they did on the entrance.

Terrible investment strategy for the Gov't but i think a necessarily evil for the good of the greater market.