Interesting proposed amendments to the 2009 Stimulus bill

Political discussions
danefan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UAlbany

Interesting proposed amendments to the 2009 Stimulus bill

Post by danefan »

Check them out at http://www.rules.house.gov/amendment_de ... ewsID=4133.

Some that I like:

http://www.rules.house.gov/111/Amndment ... mi_hr1.pdf
Amendment in the Nature of a Substitute. Would provide a stimulus check of equal monetary value to every legal resident of the United States that filed a taxable return for 2008, where the total amount is equal to $825 billion.
That works out to be about $6,000 per person who filed a return (140,000,000 people filed returns - counting each joint filer separately).
:D

And http://www.rules.house.gov/111/Amndment ... ng_hr1.pdf
Would strike the contents of the bill and replace with the text of H.R. 25, the Fair Tax Act. Title I of H.R. 25 repeals income taxes, payroll taxes, and estate and gift taxes. Title II enacts a sales tax. Title III phases out the administration of repealed Federal taxes, provides for the administration of other Federal taxes, and indexes Social Security benefits to the Sales tax. Title IV provides for the elimination of the sales tax if the 16th Amendment is not repealed.
houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Re: Interesting proposed amendments to the 2009 Stimulus bill

Post by houndawg »

What are the chances of them being adopted?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

houndawg wrote:What are the chances of them being adopted?
If you could have a negative chance of something happening than these would have it.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Appalachian
A.K.A.: Thread Killer

Post by BigApp »

I saw somewhere where ACORN is slated to get $4.2 BILLION in this (bad) deal
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

These sound good. That's why they'll never happen. :evil:
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Appalachian State

Post by ASUMountaineer »

What fantastic amendments, but they will not happen. :(
Appalachian State Mountaineers:

National Champions: 2005, 2006, and 2007
Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

NO DOUBT ABOUT IT! WE'RE GONNA SHOUT IT! NOTHING'S HOTTER THAN A-S-U!
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

Bilirakis (FL)
Would allow a tax credit of 25%, not to exceed $5,000, for home and business owners to weather-proof their homes and businesses to better withstand hurricane force winds, tornadoes and water intrusion, in which eligibility is limited to residents of specified states.

This one is BS. Don't want to pay for damages (or potential damages) to homes located in a hurricane firing zone (or tornado firing zone)--MOVE! So, because I decide to live in an area not usually hit by hurricanes I have to continue paying higher taxes, but those who choose to put their homes in a place where it's not a question of "if" but "when" get a tax credit?!?!? What a douchebag, he should be kicked out of Congress immediately.

Southern Conference Champions: 1986, 1987, 1991, 1995, 1999, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, and 2012

houndawg
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: SIU
A.K.A.: houndawg

Post by houndawg »

ASUMountaineer wrote:
Bilirakis (FL)
Would allow a tax credit of 25%, not to exceed $5,000, for home and business owners to weather-proof their homes and businesses to better withstand hurricane force winds, tornadoes and water intrusion, in which eligibility is limited to residents of specified states.

This one is BS. Don't want to pay for damages (or potential damages) to homes located in a hurricane firing zone (or tornado firing zone)--MOVE So, because I decide to live in an area not usually hit by hurricanes I have to continue paying higher taxes, but those who choose to put their homes in a place where it's not a question of "if" but "when" get a tax credit?!?!? What a douchebag, he should be kicked out of Congress immediately.
What's the big deal, you're already paying higher insurance premiums because of them?
The best way to keep people passive and obedient is to strictly limit the spectrum of opinion but allow very lively debate within that spectrum - Noam Chomsky
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

houndawg wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
This one is BS. Don't want to pay for damages (or potential damages) to homes located in a hurricane firing zone (or tornado firing zone)--MOVE So, because I decide to live in an area not usually hit by hurricanes I have to continue paying higher taxes, but those who choose to put their homes in a place where it's not a question of "if" but "when" get a tax credit?!?!? What a douchebag, he should be kicked out of Congress immediately.
What's the big deal, you're already paying higher insurance premiums because of them?
That just proves the point more. Do you think them getting a tax break is them "paying their fair share" while we don't get a tax credit for living in a safer locale? If you honestly think this is right, that is sad. :roll:

Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

houndawg wrote:
ASUMountaineer wrote:
Usually...correct me if I'm wrong here...but usually, those higher rates apply to the state, not across the board...since insurance rate increases usually need state approval...

So, if I chose to live in VA, and LA gets ravaged by a hurricane, and KS gets hit by a rash of tornados, and CA has a fire storm...I should not see my insurance rates climb...

If I'm correct, then I fully agree with Mountaineer...

If I'm wrong, then we gotta fix the insurance system too because that would be B.S.
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:
Usually...correct me if I'm wrong here...but usually, those higher rates apply to the state, not across the board...since insurance rate increases usually need state approval...

So, if I chose to live in VA, and LA gets ravaged by a hurricane, and KS gets hit by a rash of tornados, and CA has a fire storm...I should not see my insurance rates climb...

If I'm wrong, then we gotta fix the insurance system too because that would be B.S.
I believe you are correct, recently the insurance companies requested NC Insurance Commissioner to allow them to raise rates.

Wedgebuster
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNC BEARS
A.K.A.: OB55

Post by Wedgebuster »

I'm sure that most of the Cocky-Lockeys, Ducky-Daddles, Goosey-Poosies, and Turkey-Lurkeys still have scads of visqueen and duct tape piled up in their garages and basements from when Henny-Penny ran around and told them the sky was falling. :P

That stuff will help weather proof their houses just as good as it would protect them from missile attack from Foxy-Woxy and other evil-doers.

:P
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

You are correct although I believe there have been instances where state insurance departments (typically on the coasts) have pushed insurance companies to cut their residents a break because the company has been profitable in other parts of the company. I don't think the insurance departments have been successful though.
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm

MAQA yahoos - putting the Q into qrazy qanon conspiracy theories since 2015.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

You are incorrect. My homeowners insurance rates just went up in NJ. I called my company (Not my agent, but the underwriting department directly) and they said it went up because they needed to spread the cost of the Houston damage around and because certain states like Florida have limited how much they can charge in those states. Thus, in order to make money (insurance is a business after all) they had to raise rates everywhere.
Col Hogan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: William & Mary

Post by Col Hogan »

danefan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

You are incorrect. My homeowners insurance rates just went up in NJ. I called my company (Not my agent, but the underwriting department directly) and they said it went up because they needed to spread the cost of the Houston damage around and because certain states like Florida have limited how much they can charge in those states. Thus, in order to make money (insurance is a business after all) they had to raise rates everywhere.
Interesting...do insurance companies operating in NJ have to get state approval for rate hikes...or can they set their own rates as they see fit?

To keep this in line with the subject of this thread...if they can just pass along price hikes in NJ because of bad stuff in TX, then hell, let's pay for everything in the stimulus bill for everybody...
“Tolerance and Apathy are the last virtues of a dying society.” Aristotle

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem.
danefan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by danefan »

Col Hogan wrote:
danefan wrote:
Interesting...do insurance companies operating in NJ have to get state approval for rate hikes...or can they set their own rates as they see fit?

To keep this in line with the subject of this thread...if they can just pass along price hikes in NJ because of bad stuff in TX, then hell, let's pay for everything in the stimulus bill for everybody...
Yes, NJ dept of insurance has to approve rate hikes, but if they pass along the rate hike to the entire country than I suspect that the increase isn't large enough to raise any red flags in each state. Mine only went up about 10%. That was enough to get my attention, but not enough to both the state dept of insurance I guess.
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

I also saw a part of this is several billion to buy up cattle in order to drive UP milk and beef prices.

Change.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

ImageImage

Follow Barack Obama's Teleprompter Blog http://baracksteleprompter.blogspot.com/
ASUMountaineer
Level4
Level4

Post by ASUMountaineer »

danefan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

Yes, NJ dept of insurance has to approve rate hikes, but if they pass along the rate hike to the entire country than I suspect that the increase isn't large enough to raise any red flags in each state. Mine only went up about 10%. That was enough to get my attention, but not enough to both the state dept of insurance I guess.
I am not sure if the NC Ins. Commissioner has made his decision, but last I heard Jim Long was not going to approve the rate hikes, especially at the increase they wanted (which I believe was 17%). He said he was thinking of cutting it. I should probably know seeing as I'm a licensed insurance agent, but I don't sell any insurance. Last insurance policy I sold was a year ago and it was a fixed annuity. Other than annuities, I've never sold a property or life insurance policy. I don't even use the license anymore--same with my notary. :lol:

Actually, just did a quick search. No decision yet.
North Carolina Auto Insurance Rate Hike In Escrow Until Court Rules
December 29, 2008

E-mail this Article Post Comment Print this Article Article Reprints
Auto insurers may increase premiums on North Carolina drivers by up to 9.4 percent starting Jan. 1, but a court ruling will determine whether they can keep the extra money.

The North Carolina Rate Bureau, which represents 144 auto insurers that operate in the state, had asked for its largest rate increase in 14 years -- 12.9 percent. But Insurance Commissioner Jim Long turned the tables, instead ordering a 16 percent cut.

Long ruled that the data insurers submitted didn't justify the increase they sought. The insurance department also argued that the companies skewed their depiction of North Carolina's market by including claims from riskier drivers who are inexperienced or who rack up insurance points against their license and other decisions. Those drivers are assigned to the North Carolina Reinsurance Facility.
http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/so ... /96587.htm
Last edited by ASUMountaineer on Wed Jan 28, 2009 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

Col Hogan wrote:
houndawg wrote:

All I know is MY homeowners policy went UP because of the Katrina/Rita year. :cry:
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
travelinman67
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Portland State Vikings
A.K.A.: Modern Man

Post by travelinman67 »

AZGrizFan wrote:
Col Hogan wrote:

All I know is MY homeowners policy went UP because of the Katrina/Rita year. :cry:
CA auto policies have increased between 8 and 37% based upon county in the past year...Sacramento was in the 30's. Homeowners has also gone up...mine went up 17% this year. In the past, underwriters passed on huge losses to CA because the state's residents "could afford it" (workers comp alone rose 280% the year after 9-11...limit was established when multi-generation businesses began going bankrupt and shutting their doors.). One of the things I'm doing in Portland this week is beginning the process of establishing residency in Oregon for the purpose of transferring my personal vehicles, vehicle and healh insurance out of CA. The entire process of my "closing out" my CA residency will take a couple of years, but I'm finished paying for CA's "social engineering" business-extortion-funded experiments and never-ending Union/Affirmative Action/Title 9 entitlement gravy train. Oregon has some lib-do-gooder tree-huggers attempting to do the same, but by and large, Oregon is made up of some very independent folks who don't take kindly to govt. telling them how to live and run their businesses.
And if Oregon gets out of control, I'll head farther "up into the hills".
"That is how government works - we tell you what you can do today."
- EPA Kommissar Gina McCarthy
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

So are you selling your house, etc in CA?
:thumb:
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

$20 billion for food stamps

ImageImage

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Post by dbackjon »

BigApp wrote:$20 billion for food stamps
At least you know will get pumped back into the local economy right away.
:thumb:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

travelinman67 wrote:
AZGrizFan wrote:
CA auto policies have increased between 8 and 37% based upon county in the past year...Sacramento was in the 30's. Homeowners has also gone up...mine went up 17% this year. In the past, underwriters passed on huge losses to CA because the state's residents "could afford it" (workers comp alone rose 280% the year after 9-11...limit was established when multi-generation businesses began going bankrupt and shutting their doors.). One of the things I'm doing in Portland this week is beginning the process of establishing residency in Oregon for the purpose of transferring my personal vehicles, vehicle and healh insurance out of CA. The entire process of my "closing out" my CA residency will take a couple of years, but I'm finished paying for CA's "social engineering" business-extortion-funded experiments and never-ending Union/Affirmative Action/Title 9 entitlement gravy train. Oregon has some lib-do-gooder tree-huggers attempting to do the same, but by and large, Oregon is made up of some very independent folks who don't take kindly to govt. telling them how to live and run their businesses.
And if Oregon gets out of control, I'll head farther "up into the hills".
No offense there, Jimmy, but I think you're smoking crack on Oregon. Oregon is California-lite. Bunch of liberal wackjobs.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
BigApp
Supporter
Supporter

Post by BigApp »

dbackjon wrote:
At least you know will get pumped back into the local economy right away.
are you serious.?.

ImageImage