Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Re: Miscellaneous news items that don't warrant their own thread

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sat Dec 24, 2022 4:40 pm
kalm wrote:
Perhaps for some. Still violent and criminal.
Maybe if some jurisdictions hadn’t decided to 1) defund and demonize the police and 2) not prosecute a lot of criminal behavior then normally law-abiding citizens wouldn’t have felt the need to pursue vigilante justice. It’s symptomatic of a societal failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Agreed. And so is bad policing. I’m not sure vigilante justice is the solution. Not to mention a car being stolen is worth murdering someone or being charged with murder.
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

Teacher shot in VA by 6 year old is a JMU grad btw.
https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states ... o-students
This urban school district NewPort News aka Bad News, VA has had 3 prior shootings over the past 17 months..

Someone has to be charged over this, probably the parent.
Last edited by BDKJMU on Sun Jan 08, 2023 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: UNI

Post by UNI88 »

Another potential example of a pseudo progressives' laissez-faire approach to treating severe mental illness and drug addiction and why I'm no longer interested in taking public transportation.

Man, 78, loses part of face in horrific MAX station attack in Gresham, police say
When they arrived, police found the suspect still attacking the victim.

In 911 dispatch audio from early Tuesday morning, a responder can be heard saying: “Half of this guy’s face appears to be chewed off.”
Being wrong about a topic is called post partisanism - kalm
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:32 pm Another potential example of a pseudo progressives' laissez-faire approach to treating severe mental illness and drug addiction and why I'm no longer interested in taking public transportation.

Man, 78, loses part of face in horrific MAX station attack in Gresham, police say
When they arrived, police found the suspect still attacking the victim.

In 911 dispatch audio from early Tuesday morning, a responder can be heard saying: “Half of this guy’s face appears to be chewed off.”
How is this more the fault of laissez faire illiberals?
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

kalm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:36 pm
UNI88 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 5:32 pm Another potential example of a pseudo progressives' laissez-faire approach to treating severe mental illness and drug addiction and why I'm no longer interested in taking public transportation.

How is this more the fault of laissez-faire illiberals?
The illiberal approach/philosophy in Portland is that it is inhumane to keep the severely mentally ill in institutions and/or to incarcerate and treat people with severe drug addictions. These people then end up houseless and illiberals double down by limiting or preventing attempts to regulate their camps so their problems fester and their conditions worsen. It's a very laissez-faire approach to mental health and drug addiction.

FTR this happened about a half mile from my office at the last station on the light rail line that I used to use on a regular basis.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

UNI88 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 8:49 pm
kalm wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 6:36 pm

How is this more the fault of laissez-faire illiberals?
The illiberal approach/philosophy in Portland is that it is inhumane to keep the severely mentally ill in institutions and/or to incarcerate and treat people with severe drug addictions. These people then end up houseless and illiberals double down by limiting or preventing attempts to regulate their camps so their problems fester and their conditions worsen. It's a very laissez-faire approach to mental health and drug addiction.

FTR this happened about a half mile from my office at the last station on the light rail line that I used to use on a regular basis.
That sucks. Agreed regarding the illiberals although the conservatives don’t seem to have a solution either going at least back to Reagan.

it’s a tough situation that requires more funding for mental health evaluations, preventative therapy, ongoing social work, mental health facilities, incarceration facilities etc.

Cutting taxes and deregulation do not solve it or make it go away. Front line care providers and social workers lack support from political leadership on both sides.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Beer and Diesel Pickups

Post by Winterborn »

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Buckle up folks this is just the beginning. Keep voting the way you have been and things will be changing fast.
A federal agency may look to ban gas stoves over concern about the release of pollutants that can cause health and respiratory problems, according to a new report. The stoves, which are used in about 40 percent of homes in the U.S., emit pollutants including nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide and fine particulate matter at levels deemed unsafe by the EPA and World Health Organization.

Senator Cory Booker (D., N.J.) and Representative Don Beyer (D., Va.) wrote a letter to the agency last month urging the commission to address the issue and calling the harmful emissions a “cumulative burden” on black, Latino and low-income households. 

However, the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers argues that cooking produces harmful emissions regardless of the kind of stove used.

“Ventilation is really where this discussion should be, rather than banning one particular type of technology,” Jill Notini, a vice president at the association, told Bloomberg. “Banning one type of a cooking appliance is not going to address the concerns about overall indoor air quality. We may need some behavior change, we may need [people] to turn on their hoods when cooking.” 
https://www.nationalreview.com/news/bid ... -concerns/
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:10 pm
Buckle up folks this is just the beginning. Keep voting the way you have been and things will be changing fast.
A federal agency may look to ban gas stoves over concern about the release of pollutants that can cause health and respiratory problems, according to a new report. The stoves, which are used in about 40 percent of homes in the U.S., emit pollutants including nitrogen dioxide, carbon monoxide and fine particulate matter at levels deemed unsafe by the EPA and World Health Organization.

Senator Cory Booker (D., N.J.) and Representative Don Beyer (D., Va.) wrote a letter to the agency last month urging the commission to address the issue and calling the harmful emissions a “cumulative burden” on black, Latino and low-income households. 

However, the Association of Home Appliance Manufacturers argues that cooking produces harmful emissions regardless of the kind of stove used.

“Ventilation is really where this discussion should be, rather than banning one particular type of technology,” Jill Notini, a vice president at the association, told Bloomberg. “Banning one type of a cooking appliance is not going to address the concerns about overall indoor air quality. We may need some behavior change, we may need [people] to turn on their hoods when cooking.” 
I don't have a hood. Someone should buy me one and pay for installation.
HI54UNI
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Firing Mark Farley
A.K.A.: Bikinis for JSO

Post by HI54UNI »

UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:24 pm
Winterborn wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 2:10 pm

They govt won't do that but they will give you a tax credit to buy an electric stove (as long as you don't make too much).
If fascism ever comes to America, it will come in the name of liberalism. Ronald Reagan, 1975.

Progressivism is cancer

All my posts are satire
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

HI54UNI wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 9:03 pm
UNI88 wrote: Tue Jan 10, 2023 3:24 pm

They govt won't do that but they will give you a tax credit to buy an electric stove (as long as you don't make too much).
And the tax credit will only cover a certain brand of stove, along with not being enough to cover the full replacement cost of the new stove.
“The best of all things is to learn. Money can be lost or stolen, health and strength may fail, but what you have committed to your mind is yours forever.” – Louis L’Amour

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.” - G. Michael Hopf

"I am neither especially clever nor especially gifted. I am only very, very curious.” – Albert Einstein
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

We went with induction cook tops for our kitchen remodel. They’re great. Fast, highly consistent heat.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:33 am We went with induction cook tops for our kitchen remodel. They’re great. Fast, highly consistent heat.
I plan on looking at induction heating next time we buy. I'm never going back to electric, that's just a flat out crappy way to cook. We actually use induction heating in a lot of applications where I work (i.e. not a kitchen) and they're really reliable and great at hitting temperatures evenly.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Are we allowed to say this is a terrible sculpture without being 'raci's?

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Montana
A.K.A.: PhxGriz

Post by SeattleGriz »

Pwns wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:33 pm Are we allowed to say this is a terrible sculpture without being 'raci's?

Everything is better with SeattleGriz
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Sen. Kyrsten Sinema dressed as a sheep at Davos – and made everyone else look like fools
Sinema and Manchin were celebrating their rescue of the legislative filibuster in the U.S. Senate that led to bipartisan compromise on infrastructure, microchips and guns. Their refusal to remove the filibuster stopped the Democratic Party from its very bad impulse to spend even more lavishly just when inflation was about to strike.

It also exposed the modern Democratic Party as an iron-fisted dictator that demands that U.S. senators from Arizona and West Virginia march in lockstep with those from New York and Massachusetts. Any deviation will be punished with condemnation and primary opponents.
Sinema represents the old left that once celebrated originality and non-conformity. For it, she was censured by her own party and then driven out because she did one of the most radical things you can do in American politics today – she reached across the aisle.

She believes the filibuster is a necessary tool that forces Americans to work together and find compromise in a country filled with competing interests....
But he is right that she’s comfortable aggravating people. Her minimum-wage curtsy, the F-off ring, the Davos high-five. They’ve all touched a nerve. And progressive Democrats will never learn.

Like trained seals, they bark at every perceived slight, failing to understand that all of their taunts and threats and vulgarity aimed at Sinema are never going to discourage or change her.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 11, 2023 8:33 am We went with induction cook tops for our kitchen remodel. They’re great. Fast, highly consistent heat.
I hear a bunch of complaints about induction cooktops buzzing when on. Does yours do the same?

kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:17 pm
I hear a bunch of complaints about induction cooktops buzzing when on. Does yours do the same?
Not enough to notice.
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

kalm wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:24 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:17 pm

Not enough to notice.
Thanks. I have a high sensitivity to electronic buzzing (good hearing in that frequency range apparently) and it was a concern of mine. Guess I am just going to have to seek one out and try it for myself. :)

UNI88
Supporter
Supporter

Post by UNI88 »

Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:58 pm
kalm wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:24 pm

Not enough to notice.
Thanks. I have a high sensitivity to electronic buzzing (good hearing in that frequency range apparently) and it was a concern of mine. Guess I am just going to have to seek one out and try it for myself. :)
kalm doesn't notice it because his cooktop buzz his drowned out by his THC buzz. :kisswink:
Winterborn
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Winterborn »

UNI88 wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 6:23 pm
Winterborn wrote: Wed Jan 18, 2023 5:58 pm

kalm doesn't notice it because his cooktop buzz his drowned out by his THC buzz. :kisswink:
At least he can't burn his hand on a burner when the stove is on. :thumb:

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Steven Crowder whines about his "exploitative" contract which gives him $50 million over 4 years and 4 weeks of vacation and a 4-day work week.

That's either obvious grift or colossal hypocrisy in the same vein as Cenk Uygur pushing back against unionization at TYT. :lol:
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
SeattleGriz
Supporter
Supporter

Post by SeattleGriz »

Must've been filming a new "Transporter" if 41 cars and a helicopter can't catch someone.

https://www.dw.com/en/driver-shakes-off ... a-64476994
Despite several attempts by the police to intercept the vehicle, the driver managed to evade capture.

"Because of the high speed, the officers lost sight of the car," police said.

A police helicopter and a total of 41 patrol cars from six police stations eventually joined the high-speed car chase.

The helicopter located the car in Mühlhausen im Tälem, where the driver fled on foot.
JohnStOnge
Egalitarian
Egalitarian
I am a fan of: McNeese State
A.K.A.: JohnStOnge

Post by JohnStOnge »

The suspect in the latest mass shooting to make the news (https://ktla.com/news/local-news/ap-pol ... area-city/) looks to me like he is of Tibetan ancestry. It'll be interesting if that turns out to be the case given he was apparently shooting people celebrating the Chinese New Year.

Well, I believe that I must tell the truth
And say things as they really are
But if I told the truth and nothing but the truth
Could I ever be a star?

Deep Purple: No One Came
BDKJMU
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: JMU
A.K.A.: BDKJMU

Post by BDKJMU »

JohnStOnge wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 1:10 pm The suspect in the latest mass shooting to make the news (https://ktla.com/news/local-news/ap-pol ... area-city/) looks to me like he is of Tibetan ancestry. It'll be interesting if that turns out to be the case given he was apparently shooting people celebrating the Chinese New Year.

Never let the opportunity to exploit a tragedy go to waste. Calls from the left to ban ‘assault rifles’ in 4, 3, 2, 1..
..peacefully and patriotically make your voices heard..
..But you have to go home now. We have to have peace…
..I know how you feel, but go home, and go home in peace.
JMU Football: 2022 & 2023 Sun Belt East Champions.