Montana governor's order requires net neutrality for companies seeking state contracts

Political discussions
VictorG
Level3
Level3
I am a fan of: Griz

Montana governor's order requires net neutrality for companies seeking state contracts

Post by VictorG »

Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team
I am a fan of: Northern Arizona
A.K.A.: He/Him

Re: Montana governor's order requires net neutrality for companies seeking state contracts

Post by dbackjon »

Sounds good
:thumb:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Re: Montana governor's order requires net neutrality for companies seeking state contracts

Post by Grizalltheway »

<insert "they have internet in Montana?" joke here>
dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

Grizalltheway wrote:<insert "they have internet in Montana?" joke here>

How does this effect HughesNet?
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

dbackjon wrote:

Only if they want part of a state contract which they are NOT fast enough to get anyway.....
Politicians are like Diapers; they need to be changed often and for the same reason
- Mark Twain
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by dbackjon »

VictorG wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Only if they want part of a state contract which they are NOT fast enough to get anyway.....

((That was a joke - only internet in Montana is via satellite, right? :tothehand:
CAA Flagship
4th&29
4th&29
I am a fan of: Old Dominion
A.K.A.: He/His/Him/Himself

Post by CAA Flagship »

dbackjon wrote:
VictorG wrote:

((That was a joke - only internet in Montana is via satellite, right? :tothehand:
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

CAA Flagship wrote:
dbackjon wrote:

Nice try, I only use Cold Smoke cans. :coffee:
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

dbackjon wrote:
VictorG wrote:

For us "real montanians" that is true. Dem "city slickers" might have sumpthin else!
- Mark Twain
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

How many contracts or how many companies does this legislation end up affecting? Any? How will they measure this for compliance? I mean, it sounds great, but does it do anything? What wonderful legislation is next on their plate, raising minimum wage by a $0.25? Free dentistry to all Montana's who still have all their teeth?
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

GannonFan wrote:How many contracts or how many companies does this legislation end up affecting? Any? How will they measure this for compliance? I mean, it sounds great, but does it do anything? What wonderful legislation is next on their plate, raising minimum wage by a $0.25? Free dentistry to all Montana's who still have all their teeth?
Executive order, not legislation. Do Transylvanians know how to read? :ohno:
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

Grizalltheway wrote:
GannonFan wrote:How many contracts or how many companies does this legislation end up affecting? Any? How will they measure this for compliance? I mean, it sounds great, but does it do anything? What wonderful legislation is next on their plate, raising minimum wage by a $0.25? Free dentistry to all Montana's who still have all their teeth?
Executive order, not legislation. Do Transylvanians know how to read? :ohno:
Details, smhetails, I want to know what other far reaching actions Montana's government is ready to tackle.
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

Ya can't just "fox News This"....the following is the 1st part of the Article...

HELENA -- Montana's governor on Monday signed an executive order that will require all internet and data providers to adhere to net neutrality principles if they want to be awarded state contracts.

Gov. Steve Bullock, a Democrat, signed the order in front of a computer science class at Helena High.

"When the FCC repealed its net neutrality rules, it said consumers should choose. The state of Montana is one of the biggest consumers of internet services in our state. Today we're making our choice clear: We want net neutrality," Bullock told the class.
- Mark Twain
GannonFan
Level5
Level5

Post by GannonFan »

VictorG wrote:Ya can't just "fox News This"....the following is the 1st part of the Article...

HELENA -- Montana's governor on Monday signed an executive order that will require all internet and data providers to adhere to net neutrality principles if they want to be awarded state contracts.

Gov. Steve Bullock, a Democrat, signed the order in front of a computer science class at Helena High.

"When the FCC repealed its net neutrality rules, it said consumers should choose. The state of Montana is one of the biggest consumers of internet services in our state. Today we're making our choice clear: We want net neutrality," Bullock told the class.
So how do they measure that? Is it just in the state that the providers are net neutral? Anywhere and everywhere? Serious question.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Deflate Gate
A.K.A.: The Quasar Kid

Post by Chizzang »

GannonFan wrote:
VictorG wrote:Ya can't just "fox News This"....the following is the 1st part of the Article...

So how do they measure that? Is it just in the state that the providers are net neutral? Anywhere and everywhere? Serious question.

:ohno:

There's a multitude a free software available that anybody can install on any connected device...
It's easy to test if you know what you're doing '

Here's a question for you:
Comcast charges $79.95 for 100 mbps broadband service
And so when you go to the "speed test" sites it'll confirm you're getting 100 mbps
Only one problem, you're not, you're getting 80 mbps

Speed test shows you 100 mbps because it's owned by Comcast
when you go to a privately owned internet measurement site you'll notice significant drop off in mbps

So my question to you is:
Should Comcast provide what they say they're providing..?
Or just hide behind the new repeal that lets them say whatever they want and provide whatever they want
and nobody can do a damned thing about them promising one thing and delivering something else

:coffee:

Go here to find out what you're actually getting
https://fast.com/en/
Q: Name something that offends Republicans?
A: The actual teachings of Jesus
VictorG
Level3
Level3

Post by VictorG »

GannonFan wrote:

I believe everything the state does as far as procurement of products and services is done by "bid". It's pretty extensive and I can only assume they have verification involved in the process. However I cannot answer your question "for certain".

I'm sure the State of Montana can only make providers follow net neutral policies within the State of Montana.
- Mark Twain
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

As with a previous thread, I'm wondering where you guys think Montana is getting its internet from?

This is political pablum for the soft brained

The internets aren't some wellspring from where your YouTube magically appears, and your state has no control over speed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

CID1990 wrote:As with a previous thread, I'm wondering where you guys think Montana is getting its internet from?

The internets aren't some wellspring from where your YouTube magically appears, and your state has no control over speed
Apparently
The state has no control over High Powered Utility Lines and the water quality either...
(Ask Detroit about water)

For starters:
The ISP manages the Infrastructure and takes the tax dollars and service fees
and use those funds to create a sustainable framework
And the STATE can fine penalize and generally harass the ISP broadband company

It sounds to me like YOU'RE confused
I can help you with this - ask a more detailed question
and if you think ISP don't throttle you just might be the soft brained one here
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

Chizzang wrote:
CID1990 wrote:As with a previous thread, I'm wondering where you guys think Montana is getting its internet from?

Apparently
The state has no control over High Powered Utility Lines and the water quality either...
(Ask Detroit about water)

For starters:
The ISP manages the Infrastructure and takes the tax dollars and service fees
and use those funds to create a sustainable framework
And the STATE can fine penalize and generally harass the ISP broadband company

It sounds to me like YOU'RE confused
I can help you with this - ask a more detailed question
and if you think ISP don't throttle you're might be the soft brained one here
ORLY?

Read what I wrote again

If Comcast decides Montana gets 2 Mb/s, then Montana gets 2 Mb/s

cute little states and their little net neutrality rules

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Grizalltheway »

GannonFan wrote:
Grizalltheway wrote: Executive order, not legislation. Do Transylvanians know how to read? :ohno:
Details, smhetails, I want to know what other far reaching actions Montana's government is ready to tackle.
Meh, if nothing else, it gave a policy intern something to do for a couple days.
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
ALPHAGRIZ1
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: 1995 Montana Griz
A.K.A.: Fuck Off
Location: America: and having my rights violated on a daily basis

Post by ALPHAGRIZ1 »

Chizzang wrote:Here's a simple tool...
https://www.fing.io/support/internet-sp ... 3e89e3f4c7
I use Fing everyday

ALPHAGRIZ1 - Now available in internet black

The flat earth society has members all around the globe
Chizzang
Level5
Level5

Post by Chizzang »

ALPHAGRIZ1 wrote:
Chizzang wrote:Here's a simple tool...
https://www.fing.io/support/internet-sp ... 3e89e3f4c7
I use Fing everyday
I had to for my business because Comcast sold me 150 Mbps and was delivering about 85 Mbps
Of course when I went to "speed test" which they own it showed 150 Mbps
but everywhere else it measure about 85 Mbps

:nod:

They are basically unregulated criminals with no accountability or oversight