How to Stop Mass Shootings

Political discussions
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Re: How to Stop Mass Shootings

Post by 93henfan »

There was a very good article in the LA Times a few weeks ago after the Virginia news crew murder that examined why the U.S. is #1, even per capita, in mass shootings and it came to three things, with gun ownership coming in third:

1. Chronic and widespread gap between Americans' expectations for themselves and their actual achievement

2. Americans' adulation of fame

3. The extent of gun ownership in the United States.

The article was based on research by University of Alabama criminologist Adam Lankford.
He cites survey data showing that young Americans continue to embrace the "American dream" of soaring financial and educational achievement, of doing better than one's parents. When such dreams are frustrated, this bedrock belief in upward mobility predisposes some -- especially those with a tenuous grasp on mental health -- to psychological "strain." In rare instances, severe strain helps forge mass shooters, he wrote.

As powerful as the drive for material success is a newer American dream -- a yearning for fame, wrote Lankford. By this American preoccupation, too, he suggests, frustrated strivers can be nudged toward mass violence.

"Increasingly in America -- perhaps more than in any other country on the globe -- fame is revered as an end unto itself," Lankford wrote. "Some mass shooters succumb to terrible delusions of grandeur and seek fame and glory through killing."
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: High Horses
A.K.A.: The Almighty Arbiter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:
89Hen wrote: :suspicious: The premise was how to stop shootings, wasn't it?
So I should have titled the thread "How to possibly slow down or at least perhaps maybe limit the amount of shootings". :mrgreen:

I suppose I could ask the question, how many mass shootings did we have when the CCC was around? :)
No. Now that I think about it, how many of the mass shooters had military backgrounds? DC Sniper did (one of the two). Charles Whitman did. VA Tech shooter had therapy and special ed.

I'm not saying to ignore therapy nor am I saying military service is a bad thing. But the fail is strong trying to say this is how you stop, limit, deminish... mass shootings. :tothehand:
AZGrizFan
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sexual Chocolate

Post by AZGrizFan »

93henfan wrote:There was a very good article in the LA Times a few weeks ago after the Virginia news crew murder that examined why the U.S. is #1, even per capita, in mass shootings and it came to three things, with gun ownership coming in third:

1. Chronic and widespread gap between Americans' expectations for themselves and their actual achievement

The article was based on research by University of Alabama criminologist Adam Lankford.
He cites survey data showing that young Americans continue to embrace the "American dream" of soaring financial and educational achievement, of doing better than one's parents. When such dreams are frustrated, this bedrock belief in upward mobility predisposes some -- especially those with a tenuous grasp on mental health -- to psychological "strain." In rare instances, severe strain helps forge mass shooters, he wrote.

As powerful as the drive for material success is a newer American dream -- a yearning for fame, wrote Lankford. By this American preoccupation, too, he suggests, frustrated strivers can be nudged toward mass violence.

"Increasingly in America -- perhaps more than in any other country on the globe -- fame is revered as an end unto itself," Lankford wrote. "Some mass shooters succumb to terrible delusions of grandeur and seek fame and glory through killing."
Howsabout this:

These kids have spent their entire lives being a product of the "everybody gets a trophy" generation, and never being allowed to fail. Suddenly when they join the big bad world they find out very abruptly that failure IS an option....and some don't handle that very well.
"Ah fuck. You are right." KYJelly, 11/6/12
"The future must not belong to those who slander the prophet of Islam." Barack Obama, 9/25/12
93henfan
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 93henfan »

AZGrizFan wrote:
93henfan wrote:There was a very good article in the LA Times a few weeks ago after the Virginia news crew murder that examined why the U.S. is #1, even per capita, in mass shootings and it came to three things, with gun ownership coming in third:

Howsabout this:

These kids have spent their entire lives being a product of the "everybody gets a trophy" generation, and never being allowed to fail. Suddenly when they join the big bad world they find out very abruptly that failure IS an option....and some don't handle that very well.
Yes. That is #1 above. :lol:
Delaware Football: 1889-2012; 2022-
kalm
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Eastern
A.K.A.: Humus The Proud

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:
So I should have titled the thread "How to possibly slow down or at least perhaps maybe limit the amount of shootings". :mrgreen:

I suppose I could ask the question, how many mass shootings did we have when the CCC was around? :)
No. Now that I think about it, how many of the mass shooters had military backgrounds? DC Sniper did (one of the two). Charles Whitman did. VA Tech shooter had therapy and special ed.

I'm not saying to ignore therapy nor am I saying military service is a bad thing. But the fail is strong trying to say this is how you stop, limit, deminish... mass shootings. :tothehand:
Strong fail? :?

This is rather pointless but...

1). There's a difference in culture between the CCC and the military, not to mention a generational difference.

2). There's no way to know if a greater amount of mass shootings would occur without the service.

3). There's no way to know whether a greater amount of shootings would occur without therapy.

But guessing that a positive civil service experience along with more therapy would help ain't exactly a stretch...anecdotal evidence notwithstanding.
GannonFan
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Delaware
A.K.A.: Non-Partisan Hack

Post by GannonFan »

You know, there's all these stories about these guys being upset because they aren't successful with women. How about the idea that we legalize prostitution? :coffee:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:But guessing that a positive civil service experience along with more therapy would help ain't exactly a stretch.
It sure as shit is.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

What is CCC? community college cvnt?
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

89Hen wrote:
kalm wrote:But guessing that a positive civil service experience along with more therapy would help ain't exactly a stretch.
It sure as shit is.
How unvisionary of you. :tothehand: :lol:
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

GannonFan wrote:You know, there's all these stories about these guys being upset because they aren't successful with women. How about the idea that we legalize prostitution? :coffee:
That's another great idea :clap: that the curmudgeon will shoot down :ohno:
expandspanos
Level2
Level2
I am a fan of: School of Hard Knocks

Post by expandspanos »

More importantly.. how do we stop the government from staging hoax shootings in an attempt to disarm the American people? That's the question you should be asking.

Mass shootings are a media headline.. You should be more worried about:

-The Air Force spraying "Chaff" over most of the country almost all the time now and people breathing that in, and the huge increase in Respiratory Disease.

-Completely preventable deaths caused by smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

Hmmm.. shootings aren't even in the top 10 causes of death:

1 Heart disease
2 Cancer (malignant neoplasms)
3 Chronic lower respiratory disease
4 Accidents (unintentional injuries)
5 Stroke (cerebrovascular diseases)
6 Alzheimer's disease
7 Diabetes (diabetes mellitus)
8 Influenza and pneumonia
9 Kidney disease (nephritis, nephrotic syndrome, and nephrosis)
10 Suicide (intentional self-harm).

Hmm.. weird, not seeing mass shootings anywhere near the top.. turns out you have a much higher chance of being struck by lightning than being involved in a mass-shooting (but if you watch the media you probably wouldn't believe it).

Maybe a better use of your time: instead of trying to reduce everyone's liberties and 2nd Amendment rights to solve a problem that isn't really killing as many people as you think it is.. a better use of your time would be warning people about the dangers of drinking too many large sodas and Diabetes.. or imploring them to exercise more..

Alzheimers disease is linked to Aluminum, which is now quazi-admittedly being sprayed in our air daily by the Air-Force.. how about you make banning that practice your personal agenda? If you want to help prevent something that is actually preventable, seeing as how chronic lower respiratory disease and Alzheimers are actual killers of Americans and both could be linked to the constant "Chaff dumps" being carried out almost daily now over our heads.
In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
CID1990
Level5
Level5
I am a fan of: Pie
A.K.A.: CID 1990

Post by CID1990 »

expandspanos wrote:More importantly.. how do we stop the government from staging hoax shootings in an attempt to disarm the American people? That's the question you should be asking.

-The Air Force spraying "Chaff" over most of the country almost all the time now and people breathing that in, and the huge increase in Respiratory Disease.

-Completely preventable deaths caused by smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol.

1 Heart disease
6 Alzheimer's disease

Hmm.. weird, not seeing mass shootings anywhere near the top.. turns out you have a much higher chance of being struck by lightning than being involved in a mass-shooting (but if you watch the media you probably wouldn't believe it).

Maybe a better use of your time: instead of trying to reduce everyone's liberties and 2nd Amendment rights to solve a problem that isn't really killing as many people as you think it is.. a better use of your time would be warning people about the dangers of drinking too many large sodas and Diabetes.. or imploring them to exercise more..

Alzheimers disease is linked to Aluminum, which is now quazi-admittedly being sprayed in our air daily by the Air-Force.. how about you make banning that practice your personal agenda? If you want to help prevent something that is actually preventable, seeing as how chronic lower respiratory disease and Alzheimers are actual killers of Americans and both could be linked to the constant "Chaff dumps" being carried out almost daily now over our heads.
"You however, are an insufferable ankle biting mental chihuahua..." - Clizzoris
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

expandspanos wrote:Hmmm.. shootings aren't even in the top 10 causes of death:
Neither is mining accidents, but trap a couple miners and watch the press coverage. You are a moron Spandos.
andy7171
Firefly
Firefly
I am a fan of: Wiping.
A.K.A.: HE HATE ME

Post by andy7171 »

expandspanos wrote:More importantly.. how do we stop the government from staging hoax shootings in an attempt to disarm the American people? That's the question you should be asking.

1 Heart disease
6 Alzheimer's disease

Fuck! I've missed you!
"Elaine, you're from Baltimore, right?"
"Yes, well, Towson actually."
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

∞∞∞
Level5
Level5

Post by ∞∞∞ »

expandspanos wrote:Image
According to this statistic (if true), a little less than 4000 people alive today will die from a mass shooting. IMO, that's actually a bit terrifying. Considering it's something we can find a way to control, whether through reinventing mental health treatments and/or gun control, it's a lot of people to die from mass shootings. Just because 4000 is not a lot in the grand scheme of our population, it doesn't mean it's not a large number...especially when it's human lives at stake.
expandspanos
Level2
Level2

Post by expandspanos »

Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

1 Heart disease
6 Alzheimer's disease

:lol: :lol: :lol: Wowza!!!

IF the government was staging mass murders to reign in guns, why haven't they done it yet. Furthermore, when the Democrats had control of 2 branches, why didn't they do more? You come here, spout this nonsense, post you tube videos (which are not proof) and then go about defending this shit when you present zero facts.

You believe in this bullshit, that the government is clever enough to murder school children, marathon runners, college students, etc... But you ignore the idea that all of the coordination requires a high level of secrecy and the one way to keep it under wraps is to kill the families of the victims or pay off all these people, but even then, people will make mistakes. People will talk. You cannot keep secrets of this magnitude in the dark.

There is only one conspiracy theory that you can get people to believe and that's the Kennedy Assassination was an inside job. Maybe Roswell. Everything else is crap. Show me something legit. Some me actual video. Show me physical proof. You coming here and saying people aren't videotaping it or the media isn't showing us blood on the walls is bullshit.
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17
Pwns
Level4
Level4
I am a fan of: Georgia Friggin' Southern
A.K.A.: FCS_pwns_FBS (AGS)

Post by Pwns »

And glosses right over the mental illness aspect of it.

Mental issues involvement...
1. Columbine: Check
2. Virginia Tech: Check
3. Newtown: Check
4. Tuscon: Check big time
5. Aurora: Check
6. Santa Cruz: Check
7. Lafayette: Check
8. Oregon: Don't know if it's confirmed but being reported and will probably turn out to be true

The thing is, most of the shooters in these cases are generally not stupid people, don't have prior criminal records, and will find a way to get guns.
Celebrate Diversity.*
*of appearance only. Restrictions apply.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

Pwns wrote:

And glosses right over the mental illness aspect of it.

Mental issues involvement...
1. Columbine: Check
2. Virginia Tech: Check
3. Newtown: Check
4. Tuscon: Check big time
5. Aurora: Check
6. Santa Cruz: Check
7. Lafayette: Check
8. Oregon: Don't know if it's confirmed but being reported and will probably turn out to be true

The thing is, most of the shooters in these cases are generally not stupid people, don't have prior criminal records, and will find a way to get guns.
So it's absolutely impossible to make it even a teensy bit harder for them to get guns? Remember, they also don't have priors.
SDHornet
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Sacramento State Hornets

Post by SDHornet »

This is all you really needed to post. All that other stuff is just blather.
89Hen
Supporter
Supporter

Post by 89Hen »

kalm wrote:So it's absolutely impossible to make it even a teensy bit harder for them to get guns?
To me that sounds like a different discussion Kalm.
kalm
Supporter
Supporter

Post by kalm »

SDHornet wrote:

This is all you really needed to post. All that other stuff is just blather.
Holy over-simplification!
Grizalltheway
Supporter
Supporter
A.K.A.: DJ Honey BBQ

Post by Grizalltheway »

kalm wrote:
SDHornet wrote: This is all you really needed to post. All that other stuff is just blather.
Holy over-simplification!
Yeah, I'm sure economics has nothing at all to do with it...
Ibanez
Supporter
Supporter
I am a fan of: Coastal Carolina

Post by Ibanez »

The gunman who killed nine people at an Oregon community college said in writings he left behind that everyone else was "crazy" and ranted about not having a girlfriend, a law enforcement official said Monday.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/ ... 5-19-33-43" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Turns out I might be a little gay. 89Hen 11/7/17